Mephys

Off Topic Part Trois

5,125 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You could also look in the paper (or on craigslist?) or a list of upcoming church rummage sales. I know every year our church has a ton of furniture, and most of it is very nice. A lot of it is either from older folks who are moving out of their houses into assisted living or into a smaller place, or from young families who are "trading up" to bigger/nicer furniture. The church pre-screens things that are donated (at least, ours does!), so you won't wind up there to look at a recliner that happens to have doubled as a cat scratching post and litter box.

There's also some nice stuff that's come through our FreeCycle list lately, and I've had occasional luck on Craigslist. Salvation Army and Goodwill generally have a furniture store somewhere in the area, and they won't set out something that isn't "sellable".

If you're looking for somewhere commercial, Ikea is a good place to start. Sears also has a line of lower-priced "kit" furniture....I think Wal-Marts and Targets do as well.

Good luck! :thumbs:

Timeline for Spoom

2009-02-14: Engaged!

2009-02-21: Sent I-129F package to VSC

2009-11-09: Interview!! - APPROVED!!!

2009-11-21: POE

2010-01-23: WEDDING!!!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-16: Transferred to CSC!

2010-03-24: Biometrics in Buffalo

2010-04-21: AOS APPROVED!

2010-04-27: Received I-797 Approval / Welcome to America letter for AOS

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good morning

It's interesting you mention the Salvation Army, apparently the SA here in Calgary is doing so well they don't even take donations, same with women in need. When we moved to Florida we were going to donate some of our stuff - but they were not interested - I think the SA would come and 'look' at it, but it takes them a week or a month - whatever - to come by and look. We ended posting most of it on craigslist and giving it to a young couple - which is good.

A little while ago we had some other stuff to donate (good used furniture) - just tried women in need - no not interested - so I guess the store at least is not that much in need :lol:

Timeline

Just be very careful when purchasing used furniture. I just saw a show on TV about the increased incidence of bedbugs. And used furniture is an easy way to bring them into your home.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't believe I've ever seen a store that specializes in used furniture. Are there any bigger chains or is it a local thing? I've also never used craigslist, so maybe I'll go over and try to familiarize myself with that. I've always been kinda skeptical of buying things from third parties, not sure why. Although I did get the headpiece for my wedding off e-bay for $20. It was a pretty sweet grab! :lol:

So we have... Big lots, Ikea, Walmart, Target, Salvation Army/used outlets/Craigslist. My in laws recommended American Furniture warehouse as well, its a big Colorado based furniture chain. The prices seem decent but I don't have much to compare it to.

I'm not necessarily looking for anything super high quality, just some decent looking pieces to have in an apartment for a while. Hopefully we'll be going to scout out apartments this weekend and I'll have a better idea of what I need. I just have a vision of ourselves in this empty apartment where we sit on the floor with a box of pizza and watch TV :P We have a new bed, a 46" TV we bought in July and a love seat Bill bought for his apartment when he lived in North Carolina, that's about it. So I definitely need a TV stand of sorts, some tables for the living room, a small kitchen table for 2-4, and I'd love to have a place with a second bedroom, so then we'd need to get something for that. Maybe a small bed or a futon? I have a million people who have been saying they want to come visit, so it would be great to have an extra place for them to stay. Thankfully I've found several 2 bedrooms we could definitely afford... at least according to the websites. Sometimes when you show up to look at these places they start changing their tune on the price. We have a new vacuum, a ton of kitchen supplies, bathroom stuff and bedding thanks to the wedding, so its just the big stuff we really need.

Thanks for the advice everyone!! One more question, whats a good site to look at apartments? I've been looking at like rent.com, apartment guide and apartment book. Any other good places?

Your local newspaper might be a good place as well. When I was looking for a place, I called all the big appartment buildings in the area to find out if they had any vacancies.

So, I got my specs today. I can't seem to find a pic of them online, so I'll take a pic of myself later and show you guys!

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks for the advice everyone!! One more question, whats a good site to look at apartments? I've been looking at like rent.com, apartment guide and apartment book. Any other good places?

If I remember correctly we found our apartment in Florida from apartment guide or rent.com. We found the house we rented in the local newspaper online.

Good morning everyone! We're leaving tomorrow to Gene's parents for Thanksgiving so I won't be around until Monday, barring weather. Thanksgiving is a lot of work for my in-laws, in helping to prepare the meal, but also to move so much furniture! We're there to help, and enjoy the food of course. Saturday night we're heading out to meet up with all of Gene's long time friends for a supper out. Should be an enjoyable time! This will be the first time as well that everyone meets Gilbert, and his first long distance drive.

A Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Safe driving to anyone traveling.

coffee-and-croissant.jpg

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Thanks Carla!

Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy your long weekend

K-1
Oct. 2, 2008 - Sent I-129F to CSC
May 12, 2009 - Interview - Approved
July 28, 2009 - Civil Wedding
Sep. 5, 2009 - Wedding

AOS
Aug. 10, 2009 - AOS/EAD/AP Package received in Chicago
Oct. 27, 2009 - Interview - APPROVED !!
Nov. 06, 2009 - Green Card Received

ROC
Aug. 13, 2011 - ROC Package sent to VSC
May 31, 2012 - ROC - APPROVED !!!
June 11, 2012 - Green Card Received

Naturalization
Mar 21, 2013 - N-400 Package sent to Lewisville,TX
Mar 22, 2013 - Package delivered
Mar 26, 2013 - NOA
Mar 27, 2013 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2013 - Early Biometrics (Appt scheduled for April 18th)

Jul 10, 2013 - Interview - PASSED

Jul 26, 2013 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

good morning carla. that coffee looks yummy!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Craigslist also has a for rent section...most of the apartments are of the non-corporate variety (at least in my city).

Timeline for Spoom

2009-02-14: Engaged!

2009-02-21: Sent I-129F package to VSC

2009-11-09: Interview!! - APPROVED!!!

2009-11-21: POE

2010-01-23: WEDDING!!!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-16: Transferred to CSC!

2010-03-24: Biometrics in Buffalo

2010-04-21: AOS APPROVED!

2010-04-27: Received I-797 Approval / Welcome to America letter for AOS

Have a great Thanksgiving Carla!

I have to work late on Thursday :(

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.