Mephys

Off Topic Part Trois

5,125 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It's interesting how different people see home ownership! I am 100% uncomfortable with not owning a house. There is the whole privacy issue - but just from a money perspective, paying money towards someone elses investment when we could be making our own investment is just abhorrent to me.

Different personality types I suppose.

Edited by trailmix

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
It's interesting how different people see home ownership! I am 100% uncomfortable with not owning a house. There is the whole privacy issue - but just from a money perspective, paying money towards someone elses investment when we could be making our own investment is just abhorrent to me.

If my rent weren't ridiculously cheap, I would agree with you. However it is, and it hasn't gone up in 8 years.

My landlords are decent, and replace stuff when it breaks without hassling me too much.

I can't justify doubling my payments to get a place to live, just because it's "an investment".

Especially with what some of my friends and families "investments" did recently.

Montreal Interviewer: "What do you have in common with each other?"

Peachey: "We're REALLY weird."

Montreal Interviewer (incredulously to me): "Do you agree with that?"

<I think back to several days before the interview. Driving through the country, passing a field with cows...>

Peachey: "MOOOO! MOOOOO! Does this make me weird?"

Me: "No, well yes. Here, let me roll down the windows so they can hear you better!"

Peachey: "MOOOOO!!!!"

<back to interview>

Me: "Yes, yes I do."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I dunno. I watched my grandfather work for everything he had and then lose it all. He built his house with his own two hands, then lost it. He was a logger and when the mill he worked at closed down, they were screwed out of their pensions and he worked there for over 50 years. So I just personally feel that you never really truly own it and someone can just as easily take it away if something happens. I'm a pessimist I suppose.

Donne moi une poptart!

If my rent weren't ridiculously cheap, I would agree with you. However it is, and it hasn't gone up in 8 years.

My landlords are decent, and replace stuff when it breaks without hassling me too much.

I can't justify doubling my payments to get a place to live, just because it's "an investment".

Especially with what some of my friends and families "investments" did recently.

Yeah, it's mainly the down payment that's the problem for me / us. Monthly payments, provided they are reasonable, aren't a big deal -- rent or mortgage payment, it's all a monthly fee -- but to wrangle up $30000 just to start paying those same payments for one's own property...well, it's just not doable for us, nor will it be for a long while. And we should have a combined income of around $90k per year once we're together. We're not a high-spending couple...I don't need hi-fi gadgets and electronics, and she doesn't need any more than three dozen pairs of shoes, so I have to wonder how other couples in a similar situation to us make property ownership work!

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I really like the notion of owning vs renting. I didn't mind renting at all, but as time went on - I wanted to do stuff to my place and I couldn;t because I was renting.

I like that we own our TH, it's not huge, but it's ours, and we get a lot fo satisfaction out of painting, building, fixing....ok, well I get more satisfaction out of watcing the hubster doing the plumbing, but whatever!

I am now a little snob and want my neightbours to take care of their yards and make it look nice like my tidy little flowerbeds :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I want to buy because I grew up moving from rental to rental. I want stability and the choices to make my home my own - and not attached to anyone else! I hate hearing my neighbors at all hours of the day - showering, music, cooking, vacuuming, etc.

Like right now - my upstairs neighbor is flopping around on the floor like a beached whale (I don't know what she's really doing, all I hear is loud thumping).

Edited by Malrothien

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline

Yeah - agreed.

It's and interesting investment in that you live in your investment - and also as some mentioned, it doesn't work out for everyone.

I think the key is to buy within your means, or perhaps even below your means. Ideally the house payment will be less than your rental payment.

After watching something on TV about the swine flu vaccine, I'm starting to re-consider getting it.

I thought it had a bunch of ####### in it, but they talked to someone who actually made the vaccine and the only really bad thing is mercury and apparently it's a different kind of mercury.

I just need to think about it more.

Edited by Rhiann

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline

Owning for me. I've never owned myself -- always rented. But I hate other people living close to me -- I hate someone else or others having access to where I"m domiciled...

I think I was born to own a house somewhere quiet...

S'just me though.

;)

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Like right now - my upstairs neighbor is flopping around on the floor like a beached whale (I don't know what she's really doing, all I hear is loud thumping).

Varba and I have nick-named the girl that lives in the apartment above me "Stompy". For obvious reasons :P

Edited by Peachey

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Timeline

Varba and I have nick-named the girl that lives in the apartment above me "Stompy". For obvious reasons :P

One of our neighbors on our floor always wears heels and we can hear her walk by from the living room (opposite side from the walkway).

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline

One of our neighbors on our floor always wears heels and we can hear her walk by from the living room (opposite side from the walkway).

I told Peachey, while I was there, I could hang signs in the hall "DANGER: Buffalo crossing!" or something see if she picks up on my subtle hints.

Peachey is too nice. ;)

<I think back to several days before the interview. Driving through the country, passing a field with cows...>

Me: "No, well yes. Here, let me roll down the windows so they can hear you better!"

<back to interview>

Lol The house next door to ours was just bought and I guess the folks were moving in this morning. Only problem was they rented a U-Haul truck and blocked the entire lower part of my driveway so my wife couldn't get out to to go work. She walked over and politely asked for them to move it and they had some attitude about it and asked why she wasn't already at work. I'm going to go home tonight and if it's in any way blocking my driveway I'm going to start some ####### Lol.

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Timeline
Lol The house next door to ours was just bought and I guess the folks were moving in this morning. Only problem was they rented a U-Haul truck and blocked the entire lower part of my driveway so my wife couldn't get out to to go work. She walked over and politely asked for them to move it and they had some attitude about it and asked why she wasn't already at work. I'm going to go home tonight and if it's in any way blocking my driveway I'm going to start some ####### Lol.

I have a friend in the Detroit area who could take care of them for you.

<back to interview>

I have a friend in the Detroit area who could take care of them for you.

Lol I'm pondering taking a nice steamy dump on their lil porch area if it comes to that, go nice and immature old-school style :)

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.