Mephys

Off Topic Part Trois

5,125 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
so I am going to be doing a couple of tins or baskets of cookies for the lady I work for.. I think she wants around 8 of them...

she offered to pay for the supplies but what I usually do is buy the supplies myself and then charge per tin/basket...

I am not sure what would be a fair price to charge though... I guess it depends on how much I spend on the supplies.. but I was thinking about 10 to 15 bucks for an average sized tin...

Do you like her? :innocent:

yes, she is the best boss ever.... :)

I'm guessing maybe $10 then, I don't know.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
so I am going to be doing a couple of tins or baskets of cookies for the lady I work for.. I think she wants around 8 of them...

she offered to pay for the supplies but what I usually do is buy the supplies myself and then charge per tin/basket...

I am not sure what would be a fair price to charge though... I guess it depends on how much I spend on the supplies.. but I was thinking about 10 to 15 bucks for an average sized tin...

Do you like her? :innocent:

yes, she is the best boss ever.... :)

I'm guessing maybe $10 then, I don't know.

yeah that was what I was thinking but I know my boss she would probably be willing to pay more :whistle:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Good morning! I have one of those 10 bag grocery shopping days to do today...

Have you ever thought about how much work that entails? Shopping carefully, reading labels often, taking things out of the cart, bagging it, putting it in the vehicle, carting it home, taking it into the house, taking things out and dividing it up, putting it in the fridge, putting by the basement door all that has to go downstairs, several trips to the basement, freezer. I find it exhausting sometimes. :lol:

Oh well, if that's all I have to complain about, it's a good day eh? :lol:

Enjoy yours!

special_coffee.jpg

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Timeline

:o You have a basement?? :crying:

:lol:

I love grocery shopping. I don't like bringing lots of groceries into the house and putting them away, though. icon2.gif

One thing different about shopping in Canada vs shopping in the US..... in the US they ask "Paper or plastic?" In Canada (Ontario) they ask "Do you need a bag?" :lol:

Good morning everyone. :) I have a hair appointment today. My husband has a cold and I am hoping he hasn't given it to me. :angry: He keeps insisting I brought it from Canada. :bonk:

something. I would post the video, but the paycheck gods have blocked youtuble. Just search for "Serious squirrel" on youtube and you'll see. So we got him a squirrel costume. Now the other dog,

I searched for 'serious squirrel' and came up with a whole pile of squirrel clips. :lol:

Ask your employer what she believes is a fair price. or how much she is willing to spend. That will determine the type of cookie you will make. Think about how much you would charge her if she bought the supplies, and how much if you bought them. Add up the cost of each item you require.... including the tins. Factor in the cost of the electricity to mix and bake everything. Then think about how many hours it takes you to make them, and how much time that would be if you were paid an hourly wage. Check the prices of similar cookies on the market. Gourmet bakery items don't come cheap. My guess is that $15 is on the low end of the scale, even if you factor in your good will and love for the family. :)

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks Carla,

You forgot 'making the grocery list after going through the fridge and cupboards to see what is needed' :D .

I'm with Krikit- I actually enjoy grocery shopping as well although I don't enjoy having to put things away either. I also enjoy doing the laundry - just don't enjoy having to put the clothes away - hehehe, and I don't mind loading the dishwasher - I just dislike having to empty it and put the dishes away . . . . hmm, I see a trend - I don't like to put things away. Yep - explains a lot!

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

:o You have a basement?? :crying:

:lol:

I love grocery shopping. I don't like bringing lots of groceries into the house and putting them away, though. icon2.gif

One thing different about shopping in Canada vs shopping in the US..... in the US they ask "Paper or plastic?" In Canada (Ontario) they ask "Do you need a bag?" :lol:

Good morning everyone. :) I have a hair appointment today. My husband has a cold and I am hoping he hasn't given it to me. :angry: He keeps insisting I brought it from Canada. :bonk:

something. I would post the video, but the paycheck gods have blocked youtuble. Just search for "Serious squirrel" on youtube and you'll see. So we got him a squirrel costume. Now the other dog,

I searched for 'serious squirrel' and came up with a whole pile of squirrel clips. :lol:

Ask your employer what she believes is a fair price. or how much she is willing to spend. That will determine the type of cookie you will make. Think about how much you would charge her if she bought the supplies, and how much if you bought them. Add up the cost of each item you require.... including the tins. Factor in the cost of the electricity to mix and bake everything. Then think about how many hours it takes you to make them, and how much time that would be if you were paid an hourly wage. Check the prices of similar cookies on the market. Gourmet bakery items don't come cheap. My guess is that $15 is on the low end of the scale, even if you factor in your good will and love for the family. :)

Yes, I have a basement. Most people here do. :lol:

Hope you don't get your husband's cold! Yuck! :hehe:

In Saskatoon, where I shopped, I never had to bring out the cart with groceries. Always parcel pick-up. It was nice, particularly in winter, when the cart was hard to navigate in the parking lot. No tipping either! Anyway, here in St. Louis, I've yet to see ANY parcel pick-up. I mentioned it to one of the cashiers where I shop and she said she'd never heard of that, but that it was a great idea! haha I should mention it to the manager and maybe they'll pay me for the idea. :lol:

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

Oh, I haven't seen parcel pick up in a long time! yeah, that was cool- you'd put your groceries on the roller bars and slide them out through the little door to the outside, and there they were waiting for you when you drove up in the car. Mom always had us wait by the groceries while she got the car just to make sure we got ours and not someone else. I suspect it is weather related - I never saw pick up in Chatham or St. Catharines - the banana belt of Ontario :D , but they sure they have them in Quebec.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Thanks Carla,

You forgot 'making the grocery list after going through the fridge and cupboards to see what is needed' :D .

I'm with Krikit- I actually enjoy grocery shopping as well although I don't enjoy having to put things away either. I also enjoy doing the laundry - just don't enjoy having to put the clothes away - hehehe, and I don't mind loading the dishwasher - I just dislike having to empty it and put the dishes away . . . . hmm, I see a trend - I don't like to put things away. Yep - explains a lot!

:rofl: I dont have a problem putting things away.. in fact I always put things away after I have used them :innocent: My problem is my wife thinks I always put things away in the wrong place, like dirty clothes carefully put away on the floor next to my side of the bed... Work tools stacked neatly on top of the stove (well I had been working in the kitchen) Books and newspapers stacked in the bathroom (I might need reading materials at some point) So you see I am a very tidy person.. But for some strange reason my wife thinks I am very untidy and I cant work out why she would think that.. :devil:

Tay

Filed: Timeline

Katherine, I'm exactly like that! :o Don't mind doing stuff but I hate putting it all away. :lol:

Carla, I remember grocery pickup! You'd pay for your groceries, get in your car, then pull up to the front of the store and open your trunk. Wheeeeeee! Here in Florida it's all you can do not to beat down the baggers who want to wheel your buggy out to your car and load your trunk. I used them, once, when my neck went out and I couldn't really move or lift. It would have been nice to have brought him home with me to put them away too. :lol: I think my husband must have been out of town or something. :unsure: I really really really hate the fact that you very rarely see a buggy return kiosk in the parking lots. People leave carts everywhere. I have a huge dent in my old car to justify why I hate that. I always return mine to the store, or leave it in the kiosk...... if they have one. icon2.gif I believe that the grocery cart angels will thank me for that and protect my current vehicle. :hehe:

:rofl: I dont have a problem putting things away.. in fact I always put things away after I have used them :innocent: My problem is my wife thinks I always put things away in the wrong place, like dirty clothes carefully put away on the floor next to my side of the bed... Work tools stacked neatly on top of the stove (well I had been working in the kitchen) Books and newspapers stacked in the bathroom (I might need reading materials at some point) So you see I am a very tidy person.. But for some strange reason my wife thinks I am very untidy and I cant work out why she would think that.. :devil:

Hubby? Is that you? :unsure:

:bonk:

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

1 teller at Safeway (which I rarely goto as their selection sucks) automatically asks you if you want help out with ur bags! It is automatic with her, she says it, just as easy as she breathes! I mean if you go there and only buy a chocolate bar, u hand her the $$$ and then she bags it and as she hands u the bag, she asks if u want help out to the car, then she turns away,lol 1 day I said yes, i want help out, that threw her for a ttl loop, took he rout of her routine, she just frooze,lol Of course i stated i was only kidding, but it was fun watching her freeze in place, not sure what to do,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Good morning all.

So... how about them Phillies?

Chase Utley rocks my world. :D

I'm not a Phillie fan, however I'll cheer for anyone that can beat those darn Yankees! I've always hated those Yankees. :lol: Lee's pitching was incredible.

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
Good morning all.

So... how about them Phillies?

Chase Utley rocks my world. :D

I'm not a Phillie fan, however I'll cheer for anyone that can beat those darn Yankees! I've always hated those Yankees. :lol: Lee's pitching was incredible.

I hate the yankees so much! Argh. Always have, always will!

Lee was phenomenal! So nonchalant with some of his catches eh?

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.