Mephys

Off Topic Part Trois

5,125 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

ok - some post Canada Day quotes I found waiting for me this morning:-)

"Definition of a Canadian: Somebody who knows how to make love in a canoe.

- Pierre Berton

For some reason a glaze passes over people's faces when you say Canada. Maybe we should invade South Dakota or something.

- Sandra Gotlieb, wife of the Canadian ambassador to the US

In any world menu, Canada must be considered the vichyssoise of nations - it's cold, half-French, and difficult to stir.

- Stuart Keate

In Canada we have enough to do keeping up with the two spoken languages without trying to invent slang, so just go right ahead and use English for literature, Scotch for sermons, and American for conversation.

- Stephen Butler Leacock, 1869 - 1944

Most young Canadians ... are born with skates on their feet rather than with silver spoons in their mouths.

- Lester Bowles Pearson, 1897 - 1972,

Canadian Prime Minister 1963 - 1968

The beginning of Canadian cultural nationalism was not "Am I really that oppressed?" but "Am I really that boring?"

- Margaret Atwood

Canada is a country whose main exports are hockey players and cold fronts. Our main imports are baseball players and acid rain.

- Pierre Elliott Trudeau, 1919 - 2000

We have never been a melting pot. The fact is we are more like a tossed salad. We are green, some of us are oily, and there's a little vinegar injected when you get up to Ottawa.

- Arnold Edinborough, 1922 - 2006"

This one is my favourite: In any world menu, Canada must be considered the vichyssoise of nations - it's cold, half-French, and difficult to stir.

- Stuart Keate

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You know, there are so many drug and lawyer and insurance and garbage commercials here - I still find it really weird. Now all commercials are pretty much a waste of time but whatever happened to like a campbell's soup commercial once in a while.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I (L) vichyssoise. But.... come on, Stephen Leacock. Scotch is what you drink.... it's not a language! :bonk: Though I can see the potential for creating a new language if you combine it with preaching. And, yes, I know "American" is not a language either. :P

Scotch Gaelic is though :hehe:

Filed: Timeline
I (L) vichyssoise. But.... come on, Stephen Leacock. Scotch is what you drink.... it's not a language! :bonk: Though I can see the potential for creating a new language if you combine it with preaching. And, yes, I know "American" is not a language either. :P

Scotch Gaelic is though :hehe:

Technically, no. :hehe: Scottish Gaelic, yes. Scots Gaelic, yes. Scotch Gaelic, no.

Very quiet on the board today. :unsure:

iagree.gif

Timeline
I agree. That and stupid kid-and-dog car dealership commercials. Every once in a while you see a baked bean commercial. Which says it all, really. lol

Or the appliance people yelling at you. There is that one guy and then that girl with like a gingham dress on - yelling at the camera. Yes, it does work i'm sure - but reallllllyyyy.

Yeah it is quiet around here today, maybe lots of people have taken an extra day for the long weekend?

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

Today I borrowed my fiances car and drove around all by myself! It may seem meaningless but I've been terrified of driving here for the last 2 weeks... the roads are so wide and the traffic is so thick! BUT, I have conquered my fear and now I can actually go do things on my own! :D

Timeline
Today I borrowed my fiances car and drove around all by myself! It may seem meaningless but I've been terrified of driving here for the last 2 weeks... the roads are so wide and the traffic is so thick! BUT, I have conquered my fear and now I can actually go do things on my own! :D

Doesn't seem meaningless at all Huggles, good for you! :thumbs:

Timeline

I am the only one in the office today.

I guess I could have had the day off, but oh well. There's stuff I need to do anyways.

Hey remember when I was telling you guys about Ethan looking up boobs and bums on dictionary.com? Well I was telling my husband about it on the way to DC on Wednesday and he said: "Oh yea he likes using the speaker part so that the computer says the word... I saw him do that he was pressing it over and over so all you'd hear was: ####### ####### ####### #######.

:rofl:

I don't know why but I found that even more hilarious.

Oh yea... good morning.

Any big plans for tomorrow guys? I think we're going to the inlaws but the inlaws haven't returned our emails or phone calls. Which is only slightly annoying because I don't know whether we should plan something else or not... I love it when people assume we have nothing else better to do. Well.. we don't really but maybe we could find something better to do if I knew what was happening. :P

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

I was just offered a job.

I am not going to take it but I the GM from a new Hilton hotel just came in to meet with someone here and we talked about hospitality and she asked me to please drop off a resume to be a sales director. I told her thanks and I would keep her in mind but I don't exactly want to get back into hospitality because well... because I enjoy having a life. :P

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
I was just offered a job.

I am not going to take it but I the GM from a new Hilton hotel just came in to meet with someone here and we talked about hospitality and she asked me to please drop off a resume to be a sales director. I told her thanks and I would keep her in mind but I don't exactly want to get back into hospitality because well... because I enjoy having a life. :P

Good morning!

I can understand that, it's really nice that she asked though :)

Timeline
I am the only one in the office today.

I guess I could have had the day off, but oh well. There's stuff I need to do anyways.

Hey remember when I was telling you guys about Ethan looking up boobs and bums on dictionary.com? Well I was telling my husband about it on the way to DC on Wednesday and he said: "Oh yea he likes using the speaker part so that the computer says the word... I saw him do that he was pressing it over and over so all you'd hear was: ####### ####### ####### #######.

:rofl:

I don't know why but I found that even more hilarious.

Oh yea... good morning.

Any big plans for tomorrow guys? I think we're going to the inlaws but the inlaws haven't returned our emails or phone calls. Which is only slightly annoying because I don't know whether we should plan something else or not... I love it when people assume we have nothing else better to do. Well.. we don't really but maybe we could find something better to do if I knew what was happening. :P

:lol: Have you had "the talk" with him or is he too young for the talk I guess right? That's so cute.

Well tomorrow going to the in-laws in the day, they are having a pool party/BBQ. At night, I'm hoping to catch some fireworks!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Overcast and muggy day here in RI! Plan to study outside today. Nothing like being outside with a cup of coffee, studying and hearing the waves smack against the shore. Later on, go and get me a XL Timmies coffee. I must admit, they taste a lot better this yr. $2.11 gets a 24 oz coffee.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.