Mephys

Off Topic Part Trois

5,125 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good luck Carla. I can't believe you had to go through that.

It's funny Charles was talking about paving scammers, when I worked at the hotel when I first moved down here we had a whole crew of them staying with us. They had like 10 kids who said they were home schooled but never went to school. They all had designer clothes and everything, and went to the mall a lot. It was strange. But one day they offered to pave our parking lot with "left over" asphalt.

Anyways I found them so weird so I googled their last name and they were being sued in several states for paving scams.

Donne moi une poptart!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Timeline

Good morning. :)

Enjoy your day! Enjoy the crumpets this morning as well! I think they're crumpets anyway...they look more like crumpets if you look closely than they do English muffins. *wonder if charles knows what crumpets are!* :lol:

Yep, those are crumpets alright. But they don't look very appetizing. :lol:

It's funny Charles was talking about paving scammers, when I worked at the hotel when I first moved down here we had a whole crew of them staying with us. They had like 10 kids who said they were home schooled but never went to school. They all had designer clothes and everything, and went to the mall a lot. It was strange. But one day they offered to pave our parking lot with "left over" asphalt.

Anyways I found them so weird so I googled their last name and they were being sued in several states for paving scams.

That's disgusting. I think I would have called the police. :lol:

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Those kind of look like the crumpets I had the other day, you know the packaged ones you buy at the store here. They weren't very good, but I figure I just warmed them up in the oven (as we had no toaster) - so that was the problem, normally I pretty much loveeeeeeee crumpets.

Oh and we got a toaster yesterday lol - I didn't much like the one I had in Florida, so we threw it away. It couldn't toast bagels, in fact a piece of bread didn't really fit in it, maybe it was a toaster for gnomes or something.

Which reminds me, flames, how are you getting along with your juicer?

Carla, I hope the fresh air has cleared the heads of the people who are doing your lawn and that they are very nice to you today!

Timeline
Good morning. :)

Enjoy your day! Enjoy the crumpets this morning as well! I think they're crumpets anyway...they look more like crumpets if you look closely than they do English muffins. *wonder if charles knows what crumpets are!* :lol:

Yep, those are crumpets alright. But they don't look very appetizing. :lol:

That's disgusting. I think I would have called the police. :lol:

Well, they weren't wanted, just being sued. :lol:

On the last week there I did call the police, they said their car was broken into and over 3000.00 in tools were taken. So they wanted a free week. Umm it's not our fault the car got broken into. So I went out to look and it was shady, there was no glass on the ground, the window was smashed though, but no glass and it looked as if the window was broken from the inside. They also did not want me to notify the police. I did anyways. If you're claiming your car got broken into, I had to call the police.

When the police came, they were so weird. They just kept saying not to worry about it and blah blah. They totally smashed the window themselves and tried to swindle a free week out of it. I knew it and the police knew it too. But they just left, nothing happened. They weren't doing anything illegal in that sense.

They were just so weird.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

So I just got a new Visa card from CIBC, i've had a visa with them for a long time, however some time ago I changed to a card with a $25 yearly fee, but low interest rate.

So I had called them a few years ago to change to a classic card - high interest but no fee. I was told at the time that I would have to reapply and blah blah blah - just not worth it. Long story short, I called last week and it's no problem - done!

I got my new card today and I didn't know they are now using chip technology, so if you use your card at a retailer with a chip technology terminal, you enter a pin rather than signing the slip. Maybe this is old news, but it's new to me!

On the down side, I have my old card number memorized lol

Edited by trailmix

Yeah, the chip and pin thing can get pretty annoying when you're paying your dinner bill and things. You have to enter your pin the same as you do for your debit card and that means going up to the desk if they don't have a portable keypad. Not all of the cards have it yet, though.

iagree.gif

Timeline
Yeah, the chip and pin thing can get pretty annoying when you're paying your dinner bill and things. You have to enter your pin the same as you do for your debit card and that means going up to the desk if they don't have a portable keypad. Not all of the cards have it yet, though.

Yeah, I think it will be a tad annoying too. Although, I pretty much always use American Express now - airmiles woot!!

Yeah, I think it will be a tad annoying too. Although, I pretty much always use American Express now - airmiles woot!!

My husband's AmEx has a pin. :unsure:

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

funny how so many of them are facing court dates, eh?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

The lawn crew showed up this morning, but not until 10:45 a.m. They were done by 11:30 a.m. I noticed the lady had a receipt and figures on it, but I ignored it, and presented her with a cheque with what Gene and I had figured out we owed. We were $50.00 less than what was on her sheet. She took it, and said, well, fine...it's short of what I figured but let's just forget it. I said, good, it's forgotten! :lol: And off they went! Phew...glad that's done with! After they left, two funny things I noticed...one was that we were paying for the sod cutter rental, and that's fine, we had agreed on that, and it was $70.00 for the one day. The bill she presented to me of course had the tax on it etc., but also the ramps (4) of them that she rented from HD. Like I was supposed to pay for ramps as well? And the yard waste bags...she gave me the bill for that. It was negligible, however I noticed that it included two bottles of Gatorade? :blink: Like I was going to pay for their drinks?? :lol:

Very little stress involved in today's exchange. :thumbs:

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

My husband's AmEx has a pin. :unsure:

I still have a Canadian Mastercard and they just sent me a new card with a chip thingy. I didn't use it when I last when home though, so not sure how many retailers use the chip technology.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Little did she know that if she'd just been cordial she would have gotten a tip. Karma, baby. So glad it's over for you, Carla! Yay!

I still have a Canadian Mastercard and they just sent me a new card with a chip thingy. I didn't use it when I last when home though, so not sure how many retailers use the chip technology.

I received one with my Canadian MC too. boo. Haven't used it yet, though. Though I just gave the number to my daughter in Canada. Her wedding dress has arrived so the balance is due. She's going at 3:00pm for a fitting. I got super sad yesterday when I realized that I wouldn't be going with her. I don't want to think about that. :(

iagree.gif

Timeline

Little did she know that if she'd just been cordial she would have gotten a tip. Karma, baby. So glad it's over for you, Carla! Yay!

I received one with my Canadian MC too. boo. Haven't used it yet, though. Though I just gave the number to my daughter in Canada. Her wedding dress has arrived so the balance is due. She's going at 3:00pm for a fitting. I got super sad yesterday when I realized that I wouldn't be going with her. I don't want to think about that. :(

Awww Krikit (F) My Mom feels the same way, she feels a bit "left out" of the wedding stuff and how my MIL and granny in law saw my wedding dress, venue, etc. before she did.... she just feels sad to be far away and not here for every moment.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Awww Krikit! I'm with Jill, I'm sure my mom and you could have a long emotional discussion over that. I know she was upset she missed out on a lot of the wedding stuff, but she tried hard not to let me know it. Its also really cool you're buying her the dress! I think that's a sweet gesture.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.