kiray2008

Petitioned dad, hardheaded

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Thank you for this well thought out reply. I would like to add that making the decision to sponsor family for a visa should go beyond "because it's family." The petitioner needs to consider whether the beneficiary will likely become a public charge. This is why the Affidavit of Support is a stand alone document. When a petitioner brings someone over, that person is guaranteeing that taxpayers will be reimbursed if the beneficiary becomes a public charge. If someone takes on this risk, I feel bad for him if the beneficiary becomes a financial burden, but the petitioner should not expect sympathy as it was a risk that was made clear from the beginning.

I bring this up because lots of people want to bring elderly parents over without thinking through the financial cost to their spouse and children. The parents are often not able to work or find work because of old age, lack of marketable skills or lack of English skills. The parents are not entitled to Social Security or Medicare. Petitioners need to consider the potential consequences of such sponsorship rather than just naively hoping that everything will work out.

I think your point was very important. The problem is, as humans we tend to think "it won't happen to me", and we also tend to think a loved relative (especially a parent) isn't going to do something to screw us over. It's also hard to say "no" to a parent. Maybe OP, out of belief that dear old dad would not become a problem, and out of strong love, decided to sponsor. Who knows why the father is now refusing to work. It could be one of dozens of reasons - too proud to admit not being able to find a job, not wanting to work, suffering a mental breakdown... whatever.

I also want to repeat that this scenario could happen to ANY of us who sponsor someone. Whatever excuse is in your mind (each individual reader, not anyone in particular) right now about how the person YOU sponsored would never do that to you is possibly the same thing OP thought when deciding to become a sponsor.

Some might have sympathy for people who don't "luck out" and some might not. I usually do, because I see the potential in most or all of us to find ourselves in a situation that others could say "you should have known better". We all take chances, have 'bad luck', and/or screw up, although in different ways. Some of us just have to pay a bigger price than others.

Best wishes to all.

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.