kiray2008

Petitioned dad, hardheaded

31 posts in this topic

Though I must add: my sense of responsibility to my elders is something very very ingrained in me. Hence, the thought of saying "I cannot will not do X or Y for my parents or my inlaws" plain sickens me.

Finding that aspect hard to swallow as well.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

This should serve as a cautionary tale for anyone who petitions someone else to become a Legal Permanent Resident. This is not the first time that someone has posted about deporting someone he/she petitioned for - whether it is a spouse, sibling, child or parent.

The petitioner has a legal responsibility to reimburse the government for means-based benefits received by the beneficiary when the government seeks reimbursement. The only other legal responsibility a petitioner may have is to his/her spouse or his/her minor child. Other beneficiaries - including parents - are not your legal responsibility.

NO ONE CAN "CONTROL" ANOTHER PERSON. This is one of the risk in bringing a relative to the US. The relative is very nice and cooperative during the immigration process, but may not be so after getting the green card. It's a risk in the immigration game. When you bring someone into this country, you are vouching for that person and you provide certain guarantees to your fellow Americans that the beneficiary will not be harmful to society. So long as the person does not violate the law, the person is free to do whatever he/she likes - including annoying the hell out of family.

My family annoys me all the time - sometimes I wish I could get them deported - however, they are all US citizens. Oh well - at least I am not responsible for them.

Possible Troll alert.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hmmmm you can pretty well bet that the father supported the OP when they were younger. There does come a time when it is the children's place to help support the parents in some manner. It may not necessarily be financial but it is still support. I'm with Sister Len on this one. OP it sounds like it is time for YOU to step up to the plate and either help your dad out or leave him the he!! alone to live his life as he sees fit.

Filed: Timeline
Hmmmm you can pretty well bet that the father supported the OP when they were younger. There does come a time when it is the children's place to help support the parents in some manner. It may not necessarily be financial but it is still support. I'm with Sister Len on this one. OP it sounds like it is time for YOU to step up to the plate and either help your dad out or leave him the he!! alone to live his life as he sees fit.

amen brother rooster. My parent changed my diapers. When time comes, I will do the same for them.

80% troll -- OP hasn't returned, after insisting people to reply to this important issue.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

80% troll -- OP hasn't returned, after insisting people to reply to this important issue.

A lot of the responses came nearly 12+ hours after the original post. Not everyone hangs around VJ all day long....

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

amen brother rooster. My parent changed my diapers. When time comes, I will do the same for them.

:yes::thumbs:

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
My dad doesn't want to listen to me. He is not living with me now. He's living with his friend who are just feeding him and are not providing any healthcare insurance. They make him work and does everything they ask him to do. I'm worried that he might get sick and encounter an emergency. What will I do? Can I ask the homeland security for him to be deported? Please reply to this because he's giving me a lot of problems. Can I ask the Homeland Security form him to be deported because I can't afford for him to stay here anymore? mY FAMILY IS GROWING AND HE'S JUST GIVING US PROBLEMS

The reason maybe why he doesnt like to stay with you, is u are not a good daughter to him. Why not ask urself if why he is at his friend house and not with your family? Why he is happy there instead of staying with you...tsk tsk...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

funny :lol:

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

This will probably be an unpopular post, but I wanted to just add something. We don't know the OP. Yes, maybe it's an ungrateful son or daughter who just doesn't care about dear old dad. On the other hand, perhaps dear old dad is the problem. It says the dad won't work, and apparently has no health insurance. OP probably can't get insurance for dad (although it would be a good idea to look into it - I was able to insure my husband directly through Aetna, since I can't put him on my policy), and is concerned that he will get hurt or sick. As I've learned, many people who are having severe financial problems are having them due to medical problems. I know of at least 2 people who are finding themselves in a bind because of medical bills, and both of them have both income and health insurance. They both have children with medical needs that are not anyone's fault, and are extremely expensive (and insurance does not cover everything). I am a mother of 3. I love my parents, and would do just about anything for them. However, if I was financially responsible for them and one of them refused to get health insurance, I can't imagine I'd want to make the choice between their needs and the needs (food, clothes, a home) of my children. All of us who are USC sponsors run the risk of financial ruin by bringing someone here to this country. I'd be willing to bet that 99% of us think it won't/can't happen to us. And that's probably true in most cases. But what happens to OP and children if dear old dad gets hurt or sick, and ends up applying for and receiving means based benefits, then gets caught? OP, who it sounds (like most people) is a little tight financially, will then have to figure out how to support a family as well as pay back Uncle Sam. It's a tough spot to be in.

I think the OP is just concerned about the future. Again, I love my parents, but they taught me that my children come first. I think we need to take care of our parents, but I also feel that responsible parents do not burden their adult children unnecessarily. It sounds like the OP's dad is able (more or less) to take care of himself right now. Asking "can I deport him" was a little ... blunt for my tastes. I think what OP really wants to know is "how can I protect myself and my children from possible financial ruin?"

OP is not the first who wants to find a way to avoid major financial hardship as a result of sponsoring someone. I don't think there's a way out, however. OP has my sympathy for the predicament. As I said, it could technically happen to any of us (with children, as well as 'beneficiaries'). My dad had a saying that we don't determine our futures. We all take our risks, it's just that most of us 'get lucky'. I thank God that many of my risks turned out ok. I've had some problems that weren't my fault, and they cost me dearly - financially and otherwise. Yes, I complain about it. But I deal with it anyway. Don't really have any other choice. At the same time, I really do feel bad for others' misfortunes, and understand others' concerns. Even when they don't express them in the best way, let's say.

venusfire

P.S. OP probably hasn't come back because of the responses. I most likely wouldn't. In case OP ever reads these posts - my advice - look into getting dear old dad a health insurance policy. It might be affordable, or at least more affordable than any medical bills.

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
This will probably be an unpopular post, but I wanted to just add something. We don't know the OP. Yes, maybe it's an ungrateful son or daughter who just doesn't care about dear old dad. On the other hand, perhaps dear old dad is the problem. It says the dad won't work, and apparently has no health insurance. OP probably can't get insurance for dad (although it would be a good idea to look into it - I was able to insure my husband directly through Aetna, since I can't put him on my policy), and is concerned that he will get hurt or sick. As I've learned, many people who are having severe financial problems are having them due to medical problems. I know of at least 2 people who are finding themselves in a bind because of medical bills, and both of them have both income and health insurance. They both have children with medical needs that are not anyone's fault, and are extremely expensive (and insurance does not cover everything). I am a mother of 3. I love my parents, and would do just about anything for them. However, if I was financially responsible for them and one of them refused to get health insurance, I can't imagine I'd want to make the choice between their needs and the needs (food, clothes, a home) of my children. All of us who are USC sponsors run the risk of financial ruin by bringing someone here to this country. I'd be willing to bet that 99% of us think it won't/can't happen to us. And that's probably true in most cases. But what happens to OP and children if dear old dad gets hurt or sick, and ends up applying for and receiving means based benefits, then gets caught? OP, who it sounds (like most people) is a little tight financially, will then have to figure out how to support a family as well as pay back Uncle Sam. It's a tough spot to be in.

I think the OP is just concerned about the future. Again, I love my parents, but they taught me that my children come first. I think we need to take care of our parents, but I also feel that responsible parents do not burden their adult children unnecessarily. It sounds like the OP's dad is able (more or less) to take care of himself right now. Asking "can I deport him" was a little ... blunt for my tastes. I think what OP really wants to know is "how can I protect myself and my children from possible financial ruin?"

OP is not the first who wants to find a way to avoid major financial hardship as a result of sponsoring someone. I don't think there's a way out, however. OP has my sympathy for the predicament. As I said, it could technically happen to any of us (with children, as well as 'beneficiaries'). My dad had a saying that we don't determine our futures. We all take our risks, it's just that most of us 'get lucky'. I thank God that many of my risks turned out ok. I've had some problems that weren't my fault, and they cost me dearly - financially and otherwise. Yes, I complain about it. But I deal with it anyway. Don't really have any other choice. At the same time, I really do feel bad for others' misfortunes, and understand others' concerns. Even when they don't express them in the best way, let's say.

venusfire

P.S. OP probably hasn't come back because of the responses. I most likely wouldn't. In case OP ever reads these posts - my advice - look into getting dear old dad a health insurance policy. It might be affordable, or at least more affordable than any medical bills.

Thank you for this well thought out reply. I would like to add that making the decision to sponsor family for a visa should go beyond "because it's family." The petitioner needs to consider whether the beneficiary will likely become a public charge. This is why the Affidavit of Support is a stand alone document. When a petitioner brings someone over, that person is guaranteeing that taxpayers will be reimbursed if the beneficiary becomes a public charge. If someone takes on this risk, I feel bad for him if the beneficiary becomes a financial burden, but the petitioner should not expect sympathy as it was a risk that was made clear from the beginning.

I bring this up because lots of people want to bring elderly parents over without thinking through the financial cost to their spouse and children. The parents are often not able to work or find work because of old age, lack of marketable skills or lack of English skills. The parents are not entitled to Social Security or Medicare. Petitioners need to consider the potential consequences of such sponsorship rather than just naively hoping that everything will work out.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.