Krikit

What's For Dinner - Part Deux

2,275 posts in this topic

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up a butternut squash the other day too krikit. Going to make a curried butternut squash soup tomorrow.

Mmmmm. Curried butternut squash soup. That's what I thought I'd do with mine, too! I love soup. :luv: That's probably the only downfall of all these hot sunny days. Soup is my favourite thing to have when it's a dreary day. But I'm adapting. lol

I would really like the recipe for curry butternut squash if you guys want to share it!

Curried Butternut Squash Soup - Ellie Krieger

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (2 1/2-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 6 cups low-sodium chicken brothshowlist_icon.gif or vegetable broth
  • 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more, to taste
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 4 teaspoons plain low-fat yogurtshowlist_icon.gif, for garnish

Directions

Heat oil over medium heat in a 6-quart stockpot. Add onions and garlic and saute until soft but not brown, about 6 to 7 minutes. Add the butternut squash, broth, curry powder and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat stir in honey and puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender until smooth. Season with salt, to taste.

Ladle into serving bowls and add a dollop of yogurt.

The yogurt on top is superb!

carlahmsb4.gif

Do you guys have a good recipe for spaghetti squash? Neither of us have ever eaten, let alone cooked one before.

Well, I've only ever done one thing with my spaghetti squash!

I cut it in half lengthwise and bake it in the oven after I've removed the seeds and "guts". It's a very hard squash. Almost like a pumpkin! I turn it upside down, rind side up, and bake in a 375 degree oven for about 30-40 minutes.

Then, take it out of the oven, and with a fork, scrape the squash from stem to stem lengthwise, and you'll get all this "spaghetti" strands. I then put it on the plates, or a bowl, with some butter, and put on a marinara sauce. It's like vegetable spaghetti.

I don't know what anyone else does with it.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Spaghetti squash with capers and lemon:

Ingredients

2 large spaghetti squash

4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Salt and pepper

8 tablespoons sweet butter

2 tablespoons capers, drained

1/4 cup diced zucchini (rind only)

1/4 cup diced red bell pepper

4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

4 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves

1/4 cup julienne tomato concasse (peeled and seeded)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400

degrees F.

Cut both squash in 1/2 lengthwise and scoop out all seeds. Rub them inside and out with the oil and season

with salt and pepper.

Place the squash cut side down on a sheet pan or cookie sheet and cover with foil. Place in the oven and cook

until the rind is slightly soft or gives with a little pressure, about 20 minutes. When they are done, scrape

the meat out with a fork and reserve, keeping warm.

In a hot skillet, melt the butter and continue to cook until dark brown. Add the capers, zucchini, and bell

pepper to stop the butter from cooking any further, and cook, stirring, until tender. Stir in the lemon juice

and parsley and season with salt and pepper.

In a large mixing bowl mix the squash, butter sauce, and tomatoes and serve.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

yesterday at the party they had a taco man there... I had 7 tacos, but they were small though and oh so yummy, I had carne asada ones, all they needed was a little cilantro and onion... mmmmm ...they even had some lemon marinated onion. I put a little of that on there too.. yum ...

they didn't need salsa, cheese, lettuce etc... I didn't really need that stuff because it would have taken away from the amazing flavour of the meat..

i noticed down here that they don't really put that stuff on tacos, well besides salsa.. we do when we make them at home though... i guess if you have properly seasoned and cooked meat you don't really need that other stuff..

it looked like they cooked the meat in some kind of broth with other kinds of meat and stuff...

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Timeline
I would really like the recipe for curry butternut squash if you guys want to share it!

Mmmm, Carla. The yogourt on top would be yummy. Here's mine. I have no idea where I originally found it, though. lol

Curried Butternut Squash Soup

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or vegetable oil

1 cup chopped onions

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 tablespoon curry powder

1 teaspoon ground cumin Red (cayenne) pepper to taste

2 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, halved lengthwise, and sliced thin

3 cups vegetable or chicken broth

3 cups water

1 pound tart apples, peeled, cored, and chopped

Salt and pepper to taste

In a large soup pot over medium heat, heat olive or vegetable oil. Add onion and saute until golden brown. Add garlic, curry powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper; cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds. Add squash, vegetable or chicken broth, water, and apples. Bring liquid to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 25 minutes or until squash is tender. Remove from heat and cool 15 to 20 minutes.

Puree mixture in a blender or food processor, in batches, and transfer back into soup pot. (I just use the immersion blender.) Season with salt and pepper.

NOTE: At this point, soup may be refrigerated until ready to serve.

To serve, warm over low heat, stirring until hot. Remove from heat and serve in soup bowls.

Makes 6 servings.

I cut it in half lengthwise and bake it in the oven after I've removed the seeds and "guts". It's a very hard squash. Almost like a pumpkin! I turn it upside down, rind side up, and bake in a 375 degree oven for about 30-40 minutes.

Then, take it out of the oven, and with a fork, scrape the squash from stem to stem lengthwise, and you'll get all this "spaghetti" strands. I then put it on the plates, or a bowl, with some butter, and put on a marinara sauce. It's like vegetable spaghetti.

That's what I do too. Only I use regular meat sauce. Sprailenes' recipe sounds good too.

Marilyn, your tacos sound yummy.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks for the recipes. :D I will have to talk to hubby and see which he wants to try.

Thanks for the recipes you guys! :thumbs:

I have decided to make a menu for a week and make up a shopping list accordingly - we will see how that goes!

Tonight we are having cream of asparagus soup and grilled cheese :)

Edited by trailmix

Thanks for the recipes. :D I will have to talk to hubby and see which he wants to try.

Thanks for the recipes you guys! :thumbs:

I have decided to make a menu for a week and make up a shopping list accordingly - we will see how that goes!

Tonight we are having cream of asparagus soup and grilled cheese :)

That's what I do trailmix...it's usually cheaper when you buy from a menu plan, you can still mix up your days if you want, and when you just don't feel like cooking that night, don't forget the old stand by...eating out! :lol:

I saw a spaghetti squash crab casserole bake recipe Malrothien when I googled spaghetti squash. Mmmmmmm

I did a pork loin roast on the rotisserie yesterday. Marinated it in a soy, rice vinegar and lime liquid and then basted during the grilling. It was quite good. Leftovers tonight.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Timeline

I ended up making a mushroom cream sauce for the pork chops, and we had that with brussell sprouts, roasted beets, and acorn squash. It was yum.

I have to check the fridge to see what vegetation I should be using up next, but I'm thinking seafood chowder at the moment.

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Tonight, I made asparagus risotto and a half bottle of wine. ;)

Together: 10/10/2001 - current

The Process, Part 1

09/09/09 - I-129F sent certified mail express to CSC.

09/10/09 - I-129F received and signed for by INS Express Mail.

09/11/09 - NOA1 notice date.

Spaghetti Squash: I've only had it using this recipe. It's delish!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spaghetti-Squash-I/Detail.aspx

Tonight I got swiss chalet to go. I drove back from PA today and didn't feel like cooking after 11.5 hours of driving!

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I am having a lean Cuisine, mashed potatoes and a cabbage roll... hubby will have whatever he can find ..lol

I was too busy doing this and that today that I forgot to plan dinner :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.