Krikit

What's For Dinner - Part Deux

2,275 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Made a stew type of meal (but not as much juice) from lentils, garlic, onions, okra, yellow squash, peppers, lots of tomatoes and seasonings. Okra, peppers and tomatoes from the garden - have to think of tomato recipes now as we have lots of tomatoes - but I expect I'll be freezing a lot of them.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think this is weird but others might.. I love eating fresh tomatoes with some sugar sprinkled on them... mmmm we would do that all the time growing up...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

hmm, never tried them with sugar - I love eating them with salt and pepper sprinkled on them though:-) - or eating them like you would eat an apple.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I like salt an pepper on them if I am eating them on a sandwich.... but by themselves I prefer sugar..

another childhood memory just popped into my head, fresh tomato and cucumber sandwiches...mmmmm

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't eat tomatoes!

So the ice cream man came by the apt. building, I would say it's been 10 years or more since I have had anything from mr. icecream man. So my Husband buys 4 things - it was $19 :lol:

I don't eat tomatoes!

So the ice cream man came by the apt. building, I would say it's been 10 years or more since I have had anything from mr. icecream man. So my Husband buys 4 things - it was $19 :lol:

What a rip off! :lol:

I don't know what I'm going ot make tonight. We had homemade tomato soup last night and grilled cheese. I think I'll make something with chicken. Rice and veggies to go with it? Hmmmm

carlahmsb4.gif

We've been eating ethnic all weekend, and I need something else to eat now. :blink: I STILL haven't made that soup and sandwich dinner I wanted to make last week, so now THAT is what I'm going to make tonight.

BTW, what classifies food as "ethnic". I've been reading your post about the potluck, and was wondering :blush:

Tonight, It's chicken strips and mashed potatos and gravy yummmmmmm.

Well, I had hoped that people that were coming to the party had thought ethnic food was some traditional dish from another country. The "party potato lady" did not bring party potatoes, so that was a relief.

We had cold Russian beet and caper meatballs, a cold beet and cabbage salad from Germany, thai spring rolls wrapped in rice poaper...etc.

My definition of ethnic was food whos origins weren't traditionally from the U.S. everyday dinner table. Spices and recipes that we maybe don't eat everyday or recipes which aren't change to appeal perhaps to lost European, Asian or African tastebuds.

Does that make sense? :lol:

Another funny thing...We had wine and beer from other countries, and as well I bought some carbonated beverages from other countries which were absolutely gross! :lol: One was tarragon, another pear, another bread kasva which happened to taste like cough syrup...ewwwwwwww They were all gross. It was interesting to try them, but I'd never buy them again.

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Timeline
We had homemade tomato soup last night and grilled cheese.

Mmmmmmm.

On Sunday I had made roast chicken with roast potatoes, cabbage, green beans, and gravy. (Needed to use up the cabbage and green beans before they went bad. Otherwise it would have been a bit more colourful. lol) On Monday we had fresh halibut with asparagus and parmesan rice so I could break up the monotony of what I was going to do with the leftover chicken. lol. So last night we had chicken in gravy over rice with cabbage and brussel sprouts. With the rest of the chicken I made a butter chicken curry sauce and with the carcass I made chicken soup. So we will either have curry or soup tonight. lol

iagree.gif

We had homemade tomato soup last night and grilled cheese.

Mmmmmmm.

On Sunday I had made roast chicken with roast potatoes, cabbage, green beans, and gravy. (Needed to use up the cabbage and green beans before they went bad. Otherwise it would have been a bit more colourful. lol) On Monday we had fresh halibut with asparagus and parmesan rice so I could break up the monotony of what I was going to do with the leftover chicken. lol. So last night we had chicken in gravy over rice with cabbage and brussel sprouts. With the rest of the chicken I made a butter chicken curry sauce and with the carcass I made chicken soup. So we will either have curry or soup tonight. lol

Gosh, I love halibut. Can't seem to find it here, although maybe at some specialty food stores which I should look into. Even the fish and chips at restaurants don't seem to serve it, they use cod. :(

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Gosh, I love halibut. Can't seem to find it here, although maybe at some specialty food stores which I should look into. Even the fish and chips at restaurants don't seem to serve it, they use cod. :(

Same. I go to the Fresh Market or the Whole Foods to get fresh fish. The organic chains are the US version of the fish monger.

iagree.gif

Same. I go to the Fresh Market or the Whole Foods to get fresh fish. The organic chains are the US version of the fish monger.

Yes, I miss my finger monger! Whole Foods is quite far from me, however on occassions when I'm in that area, I will stop in. I'll just have to remember now that I can pick that up there, and do so! Thanks!

carlahmsb4.gif

Yes, I miss my finger monger! Whole Foods is quite far from me, however on occassions when I'm in that area, I will stop in. I'll just have to remember now that I can pick that up there, and do so! Thanks!

Yeah, I have a ways to drive too. The closest shops are 45 minutes away. icon2.gif At home I would pretty much shop like you do in Europe..... you buy things as you need them. Here, I have to buy everything at once and then freeze them or use up the veggies as quick as I can. Just another one of those things that makes me miss home. :(

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, I have a ways to drive too. The closest shops are 45 minutes away. icon2.gif At home I would pretty much shop like you do in Europe..... you buy things as you need them. Here, I have to buy everything at once and then freeze them or use up the veggies as quick as I can. Just another one of those things that makes me miss home. :(

Yeah you know that's really annoying, the whole buy everything at once and freeze it/use the vegetables up quickly. In zee old days when there was a vegetable vendor around the corner i'm sure it was much more convenient!

Yeah you know that's really annoying, the whole buy everything at once and freeze it/use the vegetables up quickly. In zee old days when there was a vegetable vendor around the corner i'm sure it was much more convenient!

Yes, and we'd pick up a baguette as well from the breadmaker! And fresh flowers from the flowerseller! :lol: Ah *sigh* those were the days! :lol:

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.