Krikit

What's For Dinner - Part Deux

2,275 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I made a lovely roast chicken dinner last night with roast potatoes and carrot-and-turnip and greenbeans. And, of course, gravy. I stuffed the cavity with lemon, onion, garlic, and rosemary, thyme, and parsley. It was so yummy. I had also made a sweet potato pie so we had that for dessert with whipped cream.

Tonight I am making Tom Yom Goong soup but I may have to attempt it without the Kaffir lime leaves. I am so frustrated at not being able to find any around here! Anyone in NoVA know where I can get them?

iagree.gif

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I am making Albondigas for dinner today.. I have eaten it a few times but this is my first time making it... I am using this recipe..

http://www.food.com/recipe/best-albondigas-soup-107281

We are trying to eat more healthy so I changed the recipe I bit.. I used a pound of ground turkey for the meatballs and added a bit of chorizo just for flavour...then I browned the meatballs a bit about 3 or 4 minutes a side.. I also added some shredded cabbage to the soup just because I had some in the fridge.. Oh and I also used fresh tomatoes instead of the canned...

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

That sounds delicious, Marilyn! I had to look and see what it was because I'd never heard of it before. I'm going to try that sometime. Thank you.

Last night we had a ham and pea soup with some nice fresh Ace Bakery bread. :luv: We also had a salad. I'e been craving lettuce with lots of thinly sliced radishes and celery and a lovely asian ginger dressing lately so we had that also. I was so excited to find a custard tart at the local grocery store but BOY was I disappointed. It tasted nothing LIKE a custard tart. It even had tons of shredded coconut in it. WTH? :blink:

Tonight we are having spaghetti with meat sauce and a caesar salad.

iagree.gif

Timeline

the Albondigas reminded me of borscht.. I guess because I added the cabbage..it was very yummy... I just wish I had added some more chorizo to the ground turkey though...

today the plan is to make a pork roast in the crock pot and I plan on serving it with some kind of rice...

last night I made some yummy oven fried chicken.. the husband said it was the best ever and gave it a A+

Panko Oven Fried Chicken Thigh

935g (8) Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs

2 Eggs

2 Tbsp Chicken Rub (I used Montreal Chicken Seasoning)

4 Tbsp Lime Juice

Pam cooking spray Butter Flavored

1 1/2 Cup Panko Breadcrumbs

30g Kraft Grated Parmesan Cheese

1 Tbsp Onion Powder (I didn't have so I didn't use it)

1 Tbsp Garlic Powder

2 tsp Paprika

2 tsp Black Pepper

2 tsp Oregano

Rinse CHICKEN. Spray a baking pan with the COOKING SPRAY.

Place CHICKEN in a mixing bowl and add Lime Juice, Chicken Rub and Eggs. set aside (can marinate in fridge overnight)

In a large ziplock bag combine all dry ingredients (Panko, Grated Cheese, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Paprika, Pepper, and Oregano.)

Remove CHICKEN from the Egg Mixture, place in the ziplock bag and coat with the Dry Mixture.

Place the Coated Chicken in baking pan. Lightly spray the Coated Chicken with Pam.

Bake for 45 minutes.

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

That sounds pretty good. Though I have never heard of chicken rub. lol

it is a rub you put on chicken...lol

a rub is just a mix of spices... you can buy them pre-mixed or you can make your own...

I used this one..

0909-mccormick-grill-mates.jpg

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

i just found out that the "pork roast" I bought isn't really a roast at all but chunks of boneless pork shoulder.. I didn't read the package closely I guess.. it was shaped like a roast... grr... I will still cook it the same way but I guess it won't take as long to cook now though...

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I made a turkey pie last night from the left overs, it was really good but sort of soupy despite the fact that I added way more flour than the recipe called for - and still it was a little bit soupy. My son is always so lovely when it comes to a flawed dinner: "Where's the pie crust? Where's the pie? This is like pie stew!"

Tonight... hockey practice for him so it'll probably be rink fries... mmm rink fries haha.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Going to make yummy Mango Habanero Chicken. It's raw chicken friend in Mango Habanero sauce with raw Habaneros on it on top of broccoli. The sweetness of the sauce and raw peppers make this a super yummy dish where it's not overly sweet, but just enough to be really tastey...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh my I am drooling from all this food talk. I miss the hubbys cooking.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I didn't feel like cooking so we're ordering from a small diner that delivers. Can't get any easier!

Tomorrow I'm thinking of making either cheese stuffed pasta or meatloaf. Can't decide which one and the hubby is no help. He just keeps saying he'll eat whatever. :angry:

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/12/17- Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

04/13/17- Credit Card Charged

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

05/22/17- Interview Scheduled

06/28/17- Interview(Approved)

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

i just found out that the "pork roast" I bought isn't really a roast at all but chunks of boneless pork shoulder.. I didn't read the package closely I guess.. it was shaped like a roast... grr... I will still cook it the same way but I guess it won't take as long to cook now though...

so the non-pork roast turned out really good...

Pork Boston Butt Roast

4 lb pork boston butt roast with bone in-lean as possible

1 onion, large chopped

3 garlic cloves crushed

5 tbls Worcestershire sauce

Place all ingredients in crock pot for 8 hrs then serve. (no water is added)

I just realized that I thought the recipe called for soy sauce..lol so I used 2 tablespoons soy sauce and 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce because I thought that was too much soy sauce. I also added some extra spices like cumin, thyme and a few others I can't think of now... it came out really tender and flavourful...

today we are having vegetarian tacos... I am using this recipe...

Summer Vegetable Black Bean Taco/Burrito Filling

1.5 c cooked or canned black beans

1/2 c cooked white or brown rice

1 t olive oil

3 T chopped green onions

1 t jalapeno pepper (optional)

3 cloves garlic

1 c chopped bell pepper

1/2 c zucchini

1/2 yellow summer squash

3 - 4 plum tomatoes

1/4 cup tomato sauce (as needed)

1 t ground cumin

1/8 t ground cayenne or red pepper

1 t salt

1 t black pepper

1.5 c shredded 2% (Reduced Fat) Mexican Cheese

3-4 T chopped fresh cilantro

Prepare black beans and rice separately.

Make burrito filling: Saute onions, garlic, hot pepper, cayenne and cumin in bottom of a large soup pot or slow cooker until soft. Reduce heat. Add chopped bell peppers and cover. In a separate bowl, mash chopped tomatoes with a fork and stir in squash and zucchini along with salt and pepper until vegetables are covered in tomato juice. Stir in additional tomato sauce - as needed - to moisten the mixture. Add to pot. Stir black beans and rice into the mixture. Cover pot, reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let mixture cool before building burritos. Store overnight in the fridge for more flavor.

Make a few burritos from this filling and freeze the rest, or make 6 burritos and freeze those leftovers.

To build burritos: Place 1/6 (or two to three tablespoons) of filling at center of flour tortilla. Add a generous spoonful of low-fat (2%) shredded cheese (approximately 1/4 cup). Roll tortillas and serve with salsa of your choice, fresh cilantro and low-fat sour cream. Freeze burritos you're not eating.

I followed the recipe except I left out the rice and zucchini/squash. I threw the mixture in the crock pot and I will add the rice and zucchini a little later...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.