Kajikit

Next stop, nonconditional residency...

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

It's no more complicated than the AOS.

Like AOS is NOT complicated. ;)

Well I have put together or helped put together everything from the K-1 petition to my wife's Naturalization application I never really had a hard time with any of it. I would say the K-1 petition was probably the hardest, because I was new at it and didn't know where to go for info, but once I found Alvena's Website I was fine.

If you don't know Alvena is the patron saint of marriage immigration Websites. LOL

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

hey Kajikit,

When i had been for my interview the Officer told that we would have lift conditions in the 90 days period. thats suppose if u card expires in Feb 2008 u would have send in the I-751 any after Nov 2007 but before Feb 2008 otherwise it would be denied.

I-751

1/12/08 - sent I-751 to TSC

2/7/08 - money order cashed

1/24/08 - Transferred to VERMONT

1/26/2008 - NOA

2/23/2008 -Biometrics

12/16/2008 finally Approved

N-400

12/03/08 Eligible to file N400

10/03/09 Mailed N-400

10/07/09 NOA

10/13/09 Check cashed

10/30/09 FP appointment

11/07/09 Case sent to Local office for interview

11/23/2009 Received interview letter with an as of date of 11/18/2009

12/15/2009 Interview scheduled ---Approved

01/06/2010 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Ok I am wondering if you do not get your new green card before it expires are you still allowed to work once you file or do you have to quit your job until you recieve the new card.

Also what happens if you file before the 90 days?

12/31/07: Sent I-751 packet to Texas, the LONG wait begins once again!

01/03/08: Packed received.

.png

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Ok I am wondering if you do not get your new green card before it expires are you still allowed to work once you file or do you have to quit your job until you recieve the new card.

How Do I Remove the Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Marriage?

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond.htm#permit

Will I Get a Work Permit?

As a legal permanent resident, you should have received a permanent resident card. This card will continue to prove that you have a right to live and work in the United States permanently. If you file your USCIS Form I-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence) on time, the USCIS will extend your conditional resident status for up to 12 months while your Form I-751 petition is under review.

Application Procedures: Removing the Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Marriage

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond2.htm

Background

At the time you obtain conditional resident status through admission to the United States with an immigrant visa or through adjustment of status, the USCIS will notify you of the conditional basis of your status, the requirements for removal of the conditions and what will happen if you fail to file a petition to remove the conditions.

The USCIS does not send a second reminder to conditional residents to petition for removal of conditions. During the 90 days before the second anniversary of the date you obtained conditional resident status you and your spouse (if still married) must file to remove the condition. You must file a Form I-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence). All petitions should be sent to the Service Center that serves the area where you live. Failure to file will result in loss of your resident status. Late filings are permitted with sufficient explanation of the reason(s) for being late in filing.

--------------------

Fillings are checked for eligibility at the mail center. If you are ineligible to file, your application is returned to you.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

How Do I Remove the Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Marriage?

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond.htm#permit

Will I Get a Work Permit?

As a legal permanent resident, you should have received a permanent resident card. This card will continue to prove that you have a right to live and work in the United States permanently. If you file your USCIS Form I-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence) on time, the USCIS will extend your conditional resident status for up to 12 months while your Form I-751 petition is under review.

Application Procedures: Removing the Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Marriage

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond2.htm

Background

At the time you obtain conditional resident status through admission to the United States with an immigrant visa or through adjustment of status, the USCIS will notify you of the conditional basis of your status, the requirements for removal of the conditions and what will happen if you fail to file a petition to remove the conditions.

The USCIS does not send a second reminder to conditional residents to petition for removal of conditions. During the 90 days before the second anniversary of the date you obtained conditional resident status you and your spouse (if still married) must file to remove the condition. You must file a Form I-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence). All petitions should be sent to the Service Center that serves the area where you live. Failure to file will result in loss of your resident status. Late filings are permitted with sufficient explanation of the reason(s) for being late in filing.

--------------------

Fillings are checked for eligibility at the mail center. If you are ineligible to file, your application is returned to you.

Thanks I was hoping to file early since they are running 7.5 months behind but I guess We get to wait again. :(

12/31/07: Sent I-751 packet to Texas, the LONG wait begins once again!

01/03/08: Packed received.

.png

Timeline
Thanks I was hoping to file early since they are running 7.5 months behind but I guess We get to wait again. :(

You won't be waiting on anything that will affect your life in the short term though.

It's important to understand this: if you file I-751 correctly (on time, complete etc) then your status is automatically extended for one year. Every I-751er goes through this; the card is expired, so you carry the card + the NOA extension until your I-751 is adjudicated. Your status does *NOT EXPIRE* while you wait for the I-751.

In fact, if you want to apply for naturalization and are otherwise eligible, a pending I-751 does not keep you from filing.

The I-751s routinely take up to 18 months to adjudicate. Filing early will not put you ahead in the queue, because the application is not yet eligible. I strongly suggest that you do not stress over the I-751 and how long it takes. It just takes as long as it takes and you will not be inconvenienced in any way.

Also note that there is no way to track a I-751 individually, not online, not thru the 1-800# etc. so dont even try :) Watch the processing dates for your Service Center and expect to be one of the many who are approved without interview and move on with life.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I agree with mdyoung, I think it is a great idea, I will add a new folder for I-751 in my big huge set for immigration paperwork. I will keep a copy of the I-751 and will also start sticking things in there that will be relevent when time comes for filing paperwork. However, I will also keep a note in there reminding me to printout the latest form at that time along with the updated filing fee.

Amar :whistle:

"For with God nothing shall be impossible - Luke 1:37"

Details of older petition timelines are in "Our Story" section

May 28, 2009 - Filed N-400 application for Naturalization

June 08, 2009 - NOA 1 received in the mail dated June 01,2009

June 15, 2009 - Biometrics Appt Letter received for July 02, 2009

July 02, 2009 - Biometrics Done - awaiting interview letter

July 13, 2009 - Interview Letter Received for Sept 09, 2009

Sept 09, 2009 - Interview Passed - Thank you Lord Jesus !!!

Sept 17, 2009 - Oath Ceremony - COBO Hall Detroit, MI - Done, registered to vote + updated Social Security record

Sept 18, 2009 - Applied for US Passport

Oct 06, 2009 - New Social Security card received in the mail

Oct 08, 2009 - US Passport received in the mail

Oct 09, 2009 - Naturalization Certificate received in the mail

Oct 20, 2009 - Received Voter's Registration Card

Oct 20, 2009 - Our Visa Journey Completed - Thank you Lord Jesus !!!

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

I have definitely taken things a little easy with the 751 filing, I'm gathering tthe paperwork/photos together today, to send overnight to get to Vermont tomorrow. My 2 year card expires on Friday the 10th. :whistle:

From what I understand, having the return receipt they sign should keep me out of trouble, whilst I wait for them to give me the 1 year extension whilst they process?

Did you take a look at the guide for lifting conditions? It is very helpful :D

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I know I don't need to worry about this for a long time, but I was glancing at the FAQ and it looks like lifting the conditions is a lot more complicated than it sounds (surprise, surprise - this is the INS we're talking about!) So I want to get a rough idea of what I'll have to do, and what sort of stuff we need to try to accumulate for it...

It's no more complicated than the AOS. Just start putting away or creating things that validate your marriage. What I did is printout the form and Highlight what documents will be needed and put it in a folder and start sticking in there anything you think will be useful when you file, i.e. car registation, loan papers in both names. That way when the time comes you aren't running around trying to find things you can use and you can then sort through what you have and pick out the best stuff to submit.

Dittos for starting to save relevant docs starting *now*. Postmarked envelopes from cards/letters are good... lots of things will come across your desk that will be handy.

Save all boarding passes/itineraries.. keep a journal of travel dates (helpful for N-400 if you go that route).

Hoarding Rules!

geez, I never thought to keep postmarked envelopes etc... I might have a couple but I am not much of a hoarder, at least with those types of things... it never crossed my mind to keep them... not that we get a awful lot of them.... right now we don't really have any evidence that we actually are married and living together... I do have pictures but that is about it.... I guess I have just under a year to start collecting stuff :unsure:

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Hoarding Rules!

geez, I never thought to keep postmarked envelopes etc... I might have a couple but I am not much of a hoarder, at least with those types of things... it never crossed my mind to keep them... not that we get a awful lot of them.... right now we don't really have any evidence that we actually are married and living together... I do have pictures but that is about it.... I guess I have just under a year to start collecting stuff :unsure:

heheh.. we used to get anniversary cards; those were good.

Check out some of the lists (links in the pinned thread) to see what others have sent. There is a lot more beyond personal correspondance. I'm sure you've got most of it already!

PS: you have to tell me if that is the Jesus.. I'm sure it is!

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks...

I did just find a couple of postmarked envelopes and I just remembered that I am included with his health insurance benifits through work and also listed on his car insurance and I am also included on his 401K... just not sure how to get evidence from some of those but I will figure it out....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.