justashooter

Family Split Apart by Deportation

47 posts in this topic

thank you sofiyya. you have expanded on my original point quite eloquently.

charles, i am a morlock.

A picture says a 1000 words dont it?

charles, i am a morlock.

charles, i am a morlock.

A picture says a 1000 words dont it?

** ... copy/paste on this site sometimes really blows

other times ... it rocks

You noticed? : :devil:

yea ... :lol:

Nat, I luv ya dude!

anyone else on vj would be puckerin and coverin up ... cause they would be expecting something ...

me ... you gonna fire up the grill ... or should I ?

:devil: I'm still watchin!

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not an insignificant matter to me personally.

My own US Citizenship derives from this fact. I was born in the US to parents who were legally, but temporarily, here.

You, too, are American through the circumstances which gave you this status.

you are a citizen by accident. i am a citizen by nature of a lineage of legal immigration going back to 1736, with a fellow named Erasmus Holtzappffel, who's children served in the Revolutionary War and every American conflict since.

I didn't write that I am a citizen "by accident". What I wrote was:

I treasure my US citizenship, yet at the same time I recognize that it is mine through an accident of birth.

The exact same thing is true of you. You happened to be born to when and where and under the circumstances that granted you US citizenship. You did nothing more special than I did. All you did was emerge from your mother's womb while on American soil, just as I did.

the difference is, it wouldn't have mattered if i was born on the moon. i would still have been American.

most of the rest of the civilised world attributes to a child the citizenship status of their parents. if you were born in a european country you wouldn't be german, or swiss, or french. you just be a canadian.

If your parents happened to be vacationing and your mom gave birth to you in a foreign country, then what? Your lineage would matter none. Your parents would also have to process papers for you to obtain your US citizenship.

I'm just wondering though...if your wife had a baby with you, wouldn't you want the child to be a US citizen? What about people with just one citizen parent? Which country do they get citizenship of? How would you like it if they decided that your child should be a citizen of your wife's country and not yours???