thetreble

Selling your home in a tough market and quickly after you bought it...

42 posts in this topic

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

:lol:

Honestly! I'm not going to get down about it or stressed out though. It is what it is! I'll figure it out. I think I'm starting to realize I have too much responsibility, or at least I feel like I do, in my life. I actually would like to go back to renting and leave home ownership on the back burner for awhile. I'm not settled enough to know where I want to..settle.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Havent looked into yet--but I think you can claim some "credits or deduction son ur annual Federal (maybe state) income taxes! I recall Turbo tax asking me if I had any rental property!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

This is a good website for landlords. Membership is $70 a year and they run prospective tenant background checks, credit reports and even report your tentants payments to credit bureaus.

http://www.nail-usa.com/

Timeline
Does this mean we will have to call you Lord Amanda? lol

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Okay so here is the email I got back from the realtor we bought the house from.

Do you understand what hes saying? It appears he's basically telling me it would be considered a short sale if the house is priced lower than what we owe.

Before I respond to your questions on the cost of selling, etc., I would ask you both - is there any you you can simply stick it out for a few years with the commuting, until the economy settles down? Judging from your note below, you seem pretty adamant about selling. As I am sure you aware, real estate is not a very liquid asset and there is a fair amount of work and expense involved in selling. But.....after giving the decision some very serious consideration, and that is what you both want, then I will certainly be glad to help.

First, in response to your question on owing more on the mortgage than the house is eventually worth in today's market - that is a very common occurrence especially in today's market. Unfortunately, most people in this situation do not have the money that they are short after negotiating the sale, to pay off the balance owed on the mortgage. This is what is commonly referred to as a "Short Sale". This is like a "pre-foreclosure". In this situation, the bank agrees to forgive most, if not all of the money the borrowers are short after the sale (including expenses). The reason why banks do this is because there is much less time and expense involved in getting the property off of their books, in fact, the property never gets on their books in the first place because this process avoids the situation of the bank having to "foreclose" on the borrowers. The formal foreclosure process usually takes a year or more to play out and costs the bank on average, up to $80,000 to complete. It also wrecks the borrowers credit and counts as a "bad" loan for the bank.

In order to try and negotiate a "short sale" with your bank or mortgage company, you usually need to be behind on your payments by at least 3 months before they can consider you eligible for the process. I do have clients who have used "loss mitigation" companies, who are basically third party firms that negotiate the terms of the short sale with the bank on your behalf. The beauty of this is that the bank pays for the expenses associated with the short sale. In addition, there is no negative impact to your credit score. Working something like this out with your bank or mortgage company is more of a long shot in today's economy, but may be worth looking into, especially if you can preserve your credit score and have the bank pay for your shortage.

With respect to your situation, yes, you certainly can come to the closing with a check to cover the shortage amount from the sale. This is the best way to preserve your credit score and get to the closing with the least amount of red tape. Going through a Short Sale with any bank or mortgage company is extremely time consuming and difficult under the best of circumstances.

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: Timeline

What the heck? It sounds as if your realtor is more focused on foreclosures than sales. What difference is it to him what price you accept for it, as long as you pay what's owed? :blink: I think I would talk to another realtor, to be honest with you.

Trailmix can probably help you out more detailed information.... she's pretty educated on all that.

Oh wait. Wasn't someone who responded in here a realtor?

Oh! It was MissMissy:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...t&p=3048648

iagree.gif

Timeline

She is talking about a short sale. However from what you have said that is not your intention at all.

I think she is just trying to explain the short sale scenario to you - ie: if you want to underprice your house, you are going to have to short sale it and hope the bank will forgive the extra money you owe.

The only way you can sell your house for less than it is mortgaged for is:

1. Negotiate with your mortgage company - asking them for a payment plan (line of credit) for the balance or show up, as she mentions, with a cheque on closing date for the balance.

2. Short sell it. Even if you were going to do this, which you aren't - as she says it would probably have to go in to 'pre-foreclosure' and also they would be looking at your finances to see if you really can't pay for it (which of course you can).

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

I have read online that a "short sale" can take awhile to complete so a buyer may not be interested in that.

As well with relator's--which I'm not a huge fan of,lol 1 should interview at least 2 or 3! Some are better buyer agents than sellers!

I used a company in Victoria that was awesome! Paid a flat fee of $700 to them and 3% to the buyers agent! If I, or they found a buyer, I only paid the $700!! Of course it was a sellers market then, and I had multiple offers within hours! Saved a lot of $$$$ I think in present times, with all the resources, there isnt a huge need for a Realtor, but people are stuck with tradition! And yes I know a bunch of realtor's will read this and get al upset, sorry,lol! I truly hate the buying/selling process--everything has to be such a secret, don't want to loose the deal! I would prefer to sit one on one and go over everything about the property! Oh well,thats just me! lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

It would be nice to do it on my own and not get a realtor involved at all. I'm just not sure I have the time.

We are definitely not going with this guy. He charges WAY too much and he wasn't that great when he sold us the house to be honest. I will definitely shop around.

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Since my fiance and I are in the process of buying a "short sale" home, from what I have read up on it, if you as a seller decide to go that route, it will hurt your credit rating. So unless you really can't afford to stay in the house and are just wanting to move because of location, I would stay away from the short sale.

Also there is nothing quick about a short sale. We put the offer in on the home we would like to buy the first week of June. The seller has accepted our offer and now it is in their lenders hands, we haven't heard anything from them. We have been told that the banks can take up to 2 - 3 months to get back to you and even then they may reject the offer.

ROC

Sept 9/11 - Sent I-751 Package in Mail

Sept 12/11 - Package received at CSC

Sept 15/11 - Cheque cashed

Sept 16/11 - Receive NOA for I-751

Sept 19/11 - Receive Biometrics Appointment Letter dated 9/15/2011

Oct 7/11 - Biometrics Appointment

Dec 2/11 - Greencard production ordered

Dec 3/11 - received email from USCIS advising card production

AOS

Aug 6/09 - Sent AOS, EAD, AP Package in mail

Aug 8/09 - Packaged received in Chicago

Aug 13/09 - Cheque cashed

Aug 17/09 - Receive NOA for I-485, I-765 and I-131

Aug 21/09 - Receive Notice for Biometrics Appt

Aug 24/09 - RFE Sent in Mail

Aug 29/09 - RFE recieved

Sept 3/09 - Mail back RFE package

Sept 5/09 - RFE package received

Sept 10/09 - I-485 case resumed

Sept 10/09 - Address changed on I-485, I-765 and I-131

Sept 15/09 - Biometrics Appt

Sept 28/09 - AP Approved, EAD Card Production Ordered Email #1

Oct 1/09 - Received AP Hardcopy in Mail, EAD Card Production Ordered Email #2

Oct 5/09 - Received EAD Card

Oct 29/09 - Received Interview Letter

Dec 2/09 - Interview --APPROVED!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.