benny oyinlade

who has similar experience at the US embassy in Lagos,Nigeria

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I was denied the immigrant visa CR1 on tuesday,June 16 2009.The consular officer said that our relationship is for immigration purpose.Is it a crime to meet your lover online? please what do I do now..am new here and would love to enlighten me on what I can do..Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

You need to start by reading this forum: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3896

You will find some answers there.

Good luck (F)

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline
You need to start by reading this forum: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3896

Good luck (F)

I'm sorry to hear your news - I imagine this was a shock for you, and I'm not sure what all you've gone through. I know many have been denied visa's at Lagos and other Embassy's. I believe if your case was just denied you need to try to get it not to leave Lagos and act fast! I'm not sure if you have legal counsel or can get it, but I would try to now. Sometimes a case can stay 2 months in Lagos, othertimes they forward it on in a week or two... if you can keep it there for a reinterview you have got to try! I believe some people contact state Senator's too at this point in the game.

Keep in mind that an consulate interviewer cannot deny a visa - they've likely recommended it be revoked and are sending it for review back to the US at a service center for immigration where uscis will determine the facts and allow you a rebuttal. But the review can take some disheartening amount of time. So I really urge you to speak to someone who can give you very accurate and fast advice - there may even be a step by step guide on this site that I am not aware of.

Also keep in mind that many people are denied and the denial is overturned or the needed proof to overcome any objection is shown and your petition is sent back through the system and back onto what would be Lagos in your case.

I was trying to find out if it is you or your mate who went to the interview? Either way you need to write down every detail you can remember of that interview, remember the ascending order such as walked through gate, such and such happened, went to this room, such and such happened. Write down the name/and/or description of the interviewer. Then try to remember with complete accuracy all questions and answers - no guesses - just what you remember. The goal is to try to find out why you may have been denied. For example, if any answers to questions are a bit off from the answers on the approved IR-1 that is an problem. Or if the person being interviewed refuses to answer a question - there are many points to look at.

You should have been informed why there was an denial.

I'm suspecting it has to do with having met on the internet??? All internet relationships will be looked at with suspicion, really actually anyone who walks in the door for an interview is likely considered suspicious - you can only present all the evidence that is contrary to that suspicion. So many people meet by internet that marriage fraud has become a huge concern - perhaps it makes you feel like your relationship is degraded and that could be heart breaking, because from your words you asked if it is a crime to meet on the internet. Hang in there, because while many use the internet to committ crime - it is the individual that matters, you need to gather proof that discounts whatever proofs they have. In the end perseverence and the truth prevail! Hang in there.

All the Best

~Afrilaskan Queen~

Timeline

Good luck (F)

I'm sorry to hear your news - I imagine this was a shock for you, and I'm not sure what all you've gone through. I know many have been denied visa's at Lagos and other Embassy's. I believe if your case was just denied you need to try to get it not to leave Lagos and act fast! I'm not sure if you have legal counsel or can get it, but I would try to now. Sometimes a case can stay 2 months in Lagos, othertimes they forward it on in a week or two... if you can keep it there for a reinterview you have got to try! I believe some people contact state Senator's too at this point in the game.

Keep in mind that an consulate interviewer cannot deny a visa - they've likely recommended it be revoked and are sending it for review back to the US at a service center for immigration where uscis will determine the facts and allow you a rebuttal. But the review can take some disheartening amount of time. So I really urge you to speak to someone who can give you very accurate and fast advice - there may even be a step by step guide on this site that I am not aware of.

Also keep in mind that many people are denied and the denial is overturned or the needed proof to overcome any objection is shown and your petition is sent back through the system and back onto what would be Lagos in your case.

I was trying to find out if it is you or your mate who went to the interview? Either way you need to write down every detail you can remember of that interview, remember the ascending order such as walked through gate, such and such happened, went to this room, such and such happened. Write down the name/and/or description of the interviewer. Then try to remember with complete accuracy all questions and answers - no guesses - just what you remember. The goal is to try to find out why you may have been denied. For example, if any answers to questions are a bit off from the answers on the approved IR-1 that is an problem. Or if the person being interviewed refuses to answer a question - there are many points to look at.

You should have been informed why there was an denial.

I'm suspecting it has to do with having met on the internet??? All internet relationships will be looked at with suspicion, really actually anyone who walks in the door for an interview is likely considered suspicious - you can only present all the evidence that is contrary to that suspicion. So many people meet by internet that marriage fraud has become a huge concern - perhaps it makes you feel like your relationship is degraded and that could be heart breaking, because from your words you asked if it is a crime to meet on the internet. Hang in there, because while many use the internet to committ crime - it is the individual that matters, you need to gather proof that discounts whatever proofs they have. In the end perseverence and the truth prevail! Hang in there.

All the Best

I appreciate your contribution to what I posted last time.My wife is taking up this issue,she has contacted some attorney there in the US and I am hoping that something would come out of this.The petition has been forwarded back to the NVC according to the email the Lagos embassy sent to my wife's email addy...We met online in August and she was convinced about me after we have been able to talk for several hours daily and she decided to come to Africa with her two kids..We both love ourselves and I have been married twice before but I have no kids..The first question the consular officer asked me was who my petitioner was?

how did you meet this woman?

whats the name of the site?

what does she do? I explained to him the work that my wife do and how she get paid

when did you meet for the first time?

how long were you together? i told him we have met twice in 6 months and in 2 different countries

he asked for the pictures and emails

I have not had any criminal record in every countries I have stayed

well finally i asked him to let me show him some evidence that I have,he said no..I had so much stuffs to really show him and then he was typing on the computer in his system and I knew he was ready to deny my application..He told me that our relationship was meant for immigration purpose..

I am hoping that the case could be reviewed or the attorney my wife contacted aked for $15000 and we are both getting all the necessaary docs needed..I hope someone could get us necessary information I will be glad to hear from you..Thanks

I

Timeline

Oh my this is so stressful for both you and your wife. I am curious how you felt you were treated at the Embassy?

So this attorney that your wife has contacted, what papers are they asking for? I wonder if they're a local lawyer, whether they deal with immigration denials specifically too. With immigration lawyers they do not have to be local for you to acquire them and that can help you to find the proper one. I only say that because it is a lot of money, I am wondering if the lawyer wanted to sign a contract for the amount paid as well? If you can find an attorney that is on AILA - this is an immigration lawyer association that only has members in good standing before the legal bar association etc. I only suggested looking at this because so many people without knowing it end up with a lawyer that costs money and time and does not do things properply - but I'm sure your wife is taking that into consideration. I'm so sorry for your struggle.

From the questions that they asked you it does sound like the length of time you've known each other and the Internet meeting were significant to them but also I'm sure the answers were on the approved petition. Did you have a copy of the approved petition? I am sure your answers matched your wife's answers - sometimes looking at the wording on the petition can be helpful. I'm so sorry I wish I had more helpful information to give you. I do think that embassy's must be suspicious of Internet meeting and yet it's a new world and that's how many people are meeting now, so perhaps they don't have a sophisticated way of weeding out the good and bad yet.

Keep us posted about your case and ask as many questions as you need. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful but I wish you the best.

~Afrilaskan Queen~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
Oh my this is so stressful for both you and your wife. I am curious how you felt you were treated at the Embassy?

So this attorney that your wife has contacted, what papers are they asking for? I wonder if they're a local lawyer, whether they deal with immigration denials specifically too. With immigration lawyers they do not have to be local for you to acquire them and that can help you to find the proper one. I only say that because it is a lot of money, I am wondering if the lawyer wanted to sign a contract for the amount paid as well? If you can find an attorney that is on AILA - this is an immigration lawyer association that only has members in good standing before the legal bar association etc. I only suggested looking at this because so many people without knowing it end up with a lawyer that costs money and time and does not do things properply - but I'm sure your wife is taking that into consideration. I'm so sorry for your struggle.

From the questions that they asked you it does sound like the length of time you've known each other and the Internet meeting were significant to them but also I'm sure the answers were on the approved petition. Did you have a copy of the approved petition? I am sure your answers matched your wife's answers - sometimes looking at the wording on the petition can be helpful. I'm so sorry I wish I had more helpful information to give you. I do think that embassy's must be suspicious of Internet meeting and yet it's a new world and that's how many people are meeting now, so perhaps they don't have a sophisticated way of weeding out the good and bad yet.

Keep us posted about your case and ask as many questions as you need. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful but I wish you the best.

Timeline
i am sorry bro. i wish you all the best in your appeal. 419 is the source of too many problems for fellow africans.

Today we have been able to get a good attorney for our case and he said we should re-file,he is charging $3000 for all..This is reasonable to others my wife had talked to since I got denied.I could see clearly that not all the immigration attorneys are professional and what will be good for us.My wife has come to Africa twice in six months to see me and we are expecting our baby in few months and I was told about the DNA evidence to prove my paternity of the child and for them to know that our relationship is not meant for immigration purpose has the consular officer said...My question is that is it good that we are no longer considering the APPEAL OR THE MOTION TO REOPEN..Also I wanna know if I should wait for the baby to be born before refiling another petition cuz by then we will have the baby's birthcertificate to prove that our marriage being consumated. I think the period of the next interview might be closer as I really feel upset by the refusal of the consular officer who beleived cuz we had a short engagement or how we met online means that our relationship is fraud..I wanna hear your advice on this and whoever that have similar experience should kindly share there experience..

i am sorry bro. i wish you all the best in your appeal. 419 is the source of too many problems for fellow africans.

Today we have been able to get a good attorney for our case and he said we should re-file,he is charging $3000 for all..This is reasonable to others my wife had talked to since I got denied.I could see clearly that not all the immigration attorneys are professional and what will be good for us.My wife has come to Africa twice in six months to see me and we are expecting our baby in few months and I was told about the DNA evidence to prove my paternity of the child and for them to know that our relationship is not meant for immigration purpose has the consular officer said...My question is that is it good that we are no longer considering the APPEAL OR THE MOTION TO REOPEN..Also I wanna know if I should wait for the baby to be born before refiling another petition cuz by then we will have the baby's birthcertificate to prove that our marriage being consumated. I think the period of the next interview might be closer as I really feel upset by the refusal of the consular officer who beleived cuz we had a short engagement or how we met online means that our relationship is fraud..I wanna hear your advice on this and whoever that have similar experience should kindly share there experience..

I am happy to hear that. $3,000 is about the average amount good lawyers charge. With the birth of your new born, you would have more than enough evidence to proof that the marriage is not a sham. Good luck my Nigerian brother.

REALESTATE BROKER & MORTGAGE LOAN ORIGINATOR

STATE OF CALIFORNIA

12fa14f592.png

Timeline

Benny, I am sorry too about your case. I and my husband had a similar experience at the Lagos consulate on Monday 6/22/09, and he too was given a blue slip with recommendation for denial due to "relationship for immigration purposes only". :crying: The interviewer was a caucasian woman instead of a man, however. I will post the questions he was asked.

inter. goodmorning ---me goodmorning

inter. who paid for your visa.... me my wife

niter.. what dose she do ... me cynographer ultera sound of the heart

inter .. how did you met....me through mutaul aquintance

inter how? me on phone,

inter how did you meet on phone? my friend mr bayo gave me her number?

inter why? me i told him that i need a wife

inter why not nigeria....me i have had two realationship and it did not go well it end up with heartbreak.

inter why bayo me cus he is my friend we lived in the same area and i trust him

inter how long have you known him me 6years

inter where dose he stay in the state me...chicago

inter how did they know each other? me...they met when she use to work for siemens

inter why did you not ask your sister or family to help you with a wife .. me cus i told bayo an he promise to help

inter how many children did she have .... me two

inter .. how old are they and their names tyler 15 joenathan 17

inter do you talk to them ..me yes

inter what will you do with the children when you get there ... me we have agreed that i addopt them

inter ... when last did you see her ... me october 2008

inter.. how long did you stayed together befor you get married ..me 4days

inter did she meet any of your family member ... me yes she did the next day meet mysister, brotherand perents

can i see the photograph ..me yes

innter how did you propose .. me on phone i mail a ring to her

which carrier .... me fedex

inter do you have the fedex slip ....me no

inter why did she take 8 days for her first visit ...me that is the vacation time she have then cus she was working with siemens

inter .. what did you intend to do over there ...... me to work and my wife is helping get a job

inter what do you do ....me am selfempolyed

inter how? ....me i ride bike but am a butcher by proffertion

inter who is paying for your ticket ...me i am

inter go an sit down I will call you …me ok

inter can i see the phone log of 2006? ... me ok here are all the phone log

inter but the 2006 is not here.......me let me see hmmmmmm you are right but this all the ones she sent to me.... inter ok

ok go an sit down i will call you

i waitted for 8 mins before she call me and gave me the paper I try to ask her why she just told me that there is nothing she can do that she will write homeland security

As you can see from the questions, it seemed she was looking for the 2006 phone logs, but I'd used phone cards to call until I found out about Pingo for tracking my phone calls. Also, for some reason, she was upset that he'd found an American to marry, and not a Nigerian woman. :angry:

I have called the Lagos consulate several times, only to be hung up on by the Americans who answer the phones (the Nigerians are very nice on the phone), sent several emails to every email address on the website, including Abuja, which have all been ignored/not answered, have both my Senator's and Congressman's offices working on this case to find out a valid reason, have prepared packets with copies of all my documentation to be mailed to both the Consulate General in Lagos as well as the Ambassador in Abuja, and have seen an immigration lawyer (non-profit that a good lawyer friend of mine recommended - she's married to a man from Benin). The lawyer told me to wait until the paperwork comes back and see if USCIS denies before deciding to refile or appeal. The appeal process can take up to 18 months (90 days for paperwork from Lagos to USCIS, 120 days for USCIS to review and make decision, the up to 11 more months for a decision). The refile means that "marriage fraud" is stamped on your case, and it will be hard to overturn. However since your wife is pregnant that is an excellent way to get the case overturned. I had a miscarriage due to the stress of this situation, but my doctor wrote me a letter to include, and I'll be going over again in August with the hopes of conceiving again.

If your wife would like to compare notes, she can email me here. Maybe we can compare notes on lawyers.

Timeline

I forgot to say that since your wife is the USC, you probably won't have to do a DNA test to prove paternity, unless things have changed. I have a few friends who had babies before their spouses came over, and they didn't have to do this. Does anyone else have a different experience?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.