bowflex

List Any Cool/Unknown Facts About Your State/Province

39 posts in this topic

1. Michigan is known as the Wolverine state, yet there are no wild wolverines left as they were hunted to semi-extinction here.

2. I grew up 2 miles from where Eminem lived yet somehow can't rhyme to save my life (personal facts are allowed haha)

3. People from the Upper Peninsula have the thickest and weirdest accent I've ever heard in my life.

4. We all point to our hand to tell you where a town/city is located.

5. Hell, Michigan does indeed freeze over every year.

:thumbs:

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1. Michigan is known as the Wolverine state, yet there are no wild wolverines left as they were hunted to semi-extinction here.

2. I grew up 2 miles from where Eminem lived yet somehow can't rhyme to save my life (personal facts are allowed haha)

3. People from the Upper Peninsula have the thickest and weirdest accent I've ever heard in my life.

8 Mile trailer park? :o

:lol: PA is known as the Keystone State, and where the declaration of independence was signed! But I think most people know that :) We also have the liberty bell here too.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

People from CT are known as Nutmeggers.

Apparently CT has the highest amount of combined taxes in the Union (state, federal & city/town taxes combined)

It is against the law in Connecticut for a man to write love letters to a girl whose mother or father has forbidden the relationship.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

8 Mile trailer park? :o

:lol: PA is known as the Keystone State, and where the declaration of independence was signed! But I think most people know that :) We also have the liberty bell here too.

I've always wanted to go to Philly and have a cheese steak but now I'm on this insane eating plan so I bet that won't be until I give up, grow out the belly, and yell at kids to get off my lawn when I hit 75 :)

Oh and Eminem actually grew up in a house then got kicked out and lived in a trailer park haha. I lived in an actually pretty nice home until we had to flee because the city was going downhill. The poor house now probably wouldn't be deemed fit for a family of 5 rats Lol.

People from CT are known as Nutmeggers.

Apparently CT has the highest amount of combined taxes in the Union (state, federal & city/town taxes combined)

It is against the law in Connecticut for a man to write love letters to a girl whose mother or father has forbidden the relationship.

Lol I knew none of this. Only thing I know of Connecticutt is you guys are the home of ESPN haha.

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Timeline

The only weird thing I've learned so far: the first layer of mountains are called "the hogback," there are wild bunny rabbits everywhere which I find awesome, its always sunny and I have a sunburn after 3 days of very limited sun exposure, hardly anyone here has a pool! In my neighborhood in Canada everyone had a pool.

The only weird thing I've learned so far: the first layer of mountains are called "the hogback," there are wild bunny rabbits everywhere which I find awesome, its always sunny and I have a sunburn after 3 days of very limited sun exposure, hardly anyone here has a pool! In my neighborhood in Canada everyone had a pool.

You're also living in the home of the COLORADO AVALANCHE, I'm very jealous just for that :)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

California is known as the Golden State. It has the biggest economy in the country and 6th largest in the world. The documented population is 35-36million (estimates are closer to 42 million counting illegal immigrants). We invented skateboarding, road rage, blue jeans, wetsuits, and drive by shootings. The city I grew up in has had the most t.v. and movies produced there in the world (not Hollywood :P), and is the hometown of Jack Black and Drew Barrymore. The city I currently live in is the hometown of Chuck Norris, and not much else. :blush:

Timeline
Lol I knew none of this. Only thing I know of Connecticutt is you guys are the home of ESPN haha.

And the WWE apparently! :)

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Timeline

You're also living in the home of the COLORADO AVALANCHE, I'm very jealous just for that :)

Heck yes! Hopefully they decide to actually PLAY this year. I'm already saving for tickets :P

Timeline

I think the state tax burden is hard to calculate for a lot of reasons.

See these three links that all say different things:

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/tax...2005/index.html

http://www.census.gov/govs/statetax/05staxrank.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_tax_lev...e_United_States

The CNN money link has Maine as the highest state tax levels in the country. There is just NO way that's true. :lol:

Facts about Jersey?

We have the cleanest beaches in the US and yet it also stinks very badly in other areas.

And, as I always mention, we are the most densely populated state in the United States. The town I used to live in, Hillside, was about 2 square miles and the population is about 30,000.

Edited by thetreble

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't really know anything about Florida - and probably don't know anything about Alberta that you all don't already know.

Florida is the sunshine state - I can confirm that this is accurate.

Timeline

We pay $750.00 in property tax on our vehicle per year.. top that Mainers...

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Timeline

Georgia was named for King George II of England.

Stone Mountain near Atlanta is one of the largest single masses of exposed granite in the world.

Georgia is the nations number one producer of the three Ps--peanuts, pecans, and peaches.

Coca-Cola was invented in May 1886 by Dr. John S. Pemberton in Atlanta, Georgia. The name "Coca-Cola" was suggested by Dr. Pemberton's bookkeeper, Frank Robinson. He penned the name Coca-Cola in the flowing script that is famous today. Coca-Cola was first sold at a soda fountain in Jacob's Pharmacy in Atlanta by Willis Venable.

Historic Saint Marys Georgia is the second oldest city in the nation.

and I live 5 miles from "Gone With the Wind" country. Tara - which doesn't really exist - was set in Jonesboro, Georgia where Margaret Mitchell's grandparents lived and where she spent her summer on the "Fitzgerald Plantation", and the action accounted in Gone With The Wind was based on many of the true stories that happened to the inhabitants of Jonesboro during the Civil War.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Well I don't think there is that much to say about Saskatchewan...nothing too cool about us...everybody usually forgets or skims over our part of the country in Canada... :lol:

But we sure do like the spotlight :D when we get it! :lol:

In the midst of this economic recession though CNN calls SK "Jobs Hotspot"

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/03/...iref=newssearch

I think that can be said about midwestern states as well, it has not had a dire effect like other more populated states.

Where I am moving to in NE, if you are from NE you are known as a Cornhusker thanks to their football team. They are crazy about the Cornhuskers!! When I was looking at wedding venues that had F& B minimums, one of the ladies was telling us how the min and max dollar amount varies weekend to weekend and it all goes by the NE Cornhuskers football schedule! If there isn't a game then the F&B min is higher because then I guess couples will want to get married that weekend rather than on a game day! :wacko: There was one venue that had installed TV's in it so that if couples do decide to get married on a game day that their guests can watch the game during the reception. :blink: It was a very nice modern looking place too!

So apparently I picked a popular weekend...no game...but I have no F&B minimum! :P

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'm quite new to Illinois, moved here only last Oct.

I've since learned some interesting things though.

-The Chicago River was forced to flow backwards. It naturally flowed eastwards into Lake Michigan. But in the 19th century it was used as a sewer and all the waste would flow into the Lake. Drinking water was pumped from the lake. Not a good situation. So engineers actually reversed the flow of the river in reverse, so the Chicago river now flows westward and ultimately drains out to the Mississippi. Hence Chicago sewage flows to downstate Illinois and St Louis. Let them deal with our #######. :lol:

- We now have an unelected and unwanted junior Senator, Roland Burris, who did his darndest to buy the position, and got it anyway despite not having needed to pay up.

- The Worlds Fair in 1893 was Chicago's chance to prove to the world that it could rock with the best of them. The previous Worlds Fair in Paris introduced the world to the breathtaking Eiffel Tower. In an effort at one-upmanship Chicago introduced the world to a new invention called the Ferris wheel. It was a massive structure which towered over the city, with cars large enough to serve meals in.

- Mrs. O'Leary's cow did not kick over the lantern that started the Chicago fire. That's a myth. The city of Chicago formally apologized to the descendants of Mrs. O'Leary for the smear.

As to Ontario ,

- Highway markers were marked "The King's Highway" even during the reign of Queen Elizabeth II. But last time I was driving there I think that logo has been removed from Highway markers.

- The license plate motto is "Yours To Discover". The old one I remember as a kid was "Keep it Beautiful". I prefer the old one!

- The Rideau Canal was built in the years after the War of 1812 when there were still strong fears of an American invasion. The ideas was to bypass the St. Lawrence River and have a shipping route further north that would connect to the Ottawa River.

- Laura Secord is not just a candy shop. She was a spy who crossed American lines without being inspected at the border. ICE agents then deported her back to Canada as an illegal :lol: (ok, just a little US immigration humor for VJ)

Well I don't think there is that much to say about Saskatchewan...nothing too cool about us...everybody usually forgets or skims over our part of the country in Canada... :lol:

Saskatchewan did give Canada Tommy Douglas, and universal health care :thumbs:

A lesson Americans still haven't been able to learn from decades later.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.