RMD

K-1 visa assistance firms

36 posts in this topic

Oh, and believe it or not, this process is supposedly intended to be easy enough for a lay person (not a lawyer) to do by themselves. Honestly, YOU have to dig out your documents. YOU have to figure out where you worked and what their address was. YOU have to call your parents and ask them the name of the specific town they were born in. There is just no getting around doing 90% (or more, depending on how buried stuff is) of the work for this process.

Visa Journey has GREAT, DETAILED guides, and I have seen SO many posts by people who say, "I talked with someone who was supposed to know the process, and they....had the wrong form, told me the wrong address, the wrong requirements, etc.....I'm so glad I had Visa Journey, I KNEW MORE ABOUT THE PROCESS THAN THEY DID!"

There is just no substitution for your own knowledge, and Visa Journey has all the material laid out clearly and in an easy to follow format. As another VJer is fond of saying, "NO ONE is more interested in seeing that your case is handled correctly and promptly than YOU are." You're the best one for the job! :) The USCIS doesn't care in what order you put your documents (but make sure the money is prominently displayed!), and the guides have a completely comprehensive (tried and true!) checklist, so no worries about anything missing. The links all go to the forms on the USCIS website, so you won't get out of date forms, and all the questions you want to ask for free on the forums.

Anyway, you're still not really going to find any specific recommendations on VJ is my bet - The people active on VJ pretty much used VJ.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

you know what?! we have done it on our own and have went to a helpful site such as VJ for guidance and now where through of the k1 process

October 26, 2009 >AOS package sent thru USPS priority mail (day1)

October 29, 2009 >Item delivered Chicago IL, 60680 (Recieved Date) (day4)

November 3, 2009 >Notice date for I-485, I-131, I-765 (NOA's) (day9)

November 6, 2009 >Recieved in the Mail (day12)

November 6, 2009 >Touched (day12)

November 6, 2009 >Notice date for biometrics letter (day12)

November 26, 2009 >Biometrics letter recieved (Appointment date: Nov.27) (day32)

November 27, 2009 >Biometrics Appointment Done (day33)

November 27, 2009 >Touched :D(day33)

December 16, 2009 >Touched EAD "Card Production Ordered" (day53)

December 16, 2009 >Touched AP (day53)

December 17, 2009 >Touched EAD (day54)

December 17, 2009 >Touched AP (day54)

December 18, 2009 >Touched AP (day55)

December 21, 2009 >Recieved Advanced parole in the mail (day58)

December 21, 2009 >Touched EAD"Card production ordered" (day58)

February 04, 2010 > Interview @ 12:30 pm,done and approved (day103)

February 11, 2010 > Welcome Letter Aarrived

February 16, 2010 > GC Recieved

If you do not feel comfortable to DIY, then I would recommend a visa service over an attorney. They are usually far more knowledgeable and can offer services like translations and native speaking people to communicate with your fiancee. Many specialize in "regions" and are very familiar with consulate procedures.

I have to confess to being an attorney, but I 100% disagree. Hire a knowledgable immigration attorney. As soon as they provide any helpful service (i.e. advice on how to best fill in your form) the visa service is skating on the edge of violating the law (and maybe crossing it) by unlawfully engaging in the practice of law without a license. One has to question the ethics of someone who would do that. Once you question their ethics, you have to question the quality of service.

A good immigration attorney will be willing to review your forms (at the hourly rate) and will honestly tell you in a consultation whether she/he thinks you really need to retain them. I tell my clients all the time that I am not a cost effective solution to their small problems because I cost too much. You could even ask the attorney to review your documentation and inform them if you have any red flags.

Spot on! 100% visa service is a joke.

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
If you do not feel comfortable to DIY, then I would recommend a visa service over an attorney. They are usually far more knowledgeable and can offer services like translations and native speaking people to communicate with your fiancee. Many specialize in "regions" and are very familiar with consulate procedures.

I have to confess to being an attorney, but I 100% disagree. Hire a knowledgable immigration attorney. As soon as they provide any helpful service (i.e. advice on how to best fill in your form) the visa service is skating on the edge of violating the law (and maybe crossing it) by unlawfully engaging in the practice of law without a license. One has to question the ethics of someone who would do that. Once you question their ethics, you have to question the quality of service.

A good immigration attorney will be willing to review your forms (at the hourly rate) and will honestly tell you in a consultation whether she/he thinks you really need to retain them. I tell my clients all the time that I am not a cost effective solution to their small problems because I cost too much. You could even ask the attorney to review your documentation and inform them if you have any red flags.

No surprise you have to disagree.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Then I recommend doing it yourself. Anyone reading this has the best available resource available to them for free....VJ.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

I STRONGLY recommend you to handle your works yourself. You can find answer of your questions here if you faced any probelm... read my story, you'll know why I'm saying that.

I'm counting the seconds...

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : United Arab Emirates

I-129F Sent : 2009-04-27

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-05-04

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-08-07

NVC Received : 2009-08-10

NVC Left : 2009-08-14

Consulate Received : 2009-08-17

Packet 3 & 4 Received : 2009-09-20

Interview Date : 2009-12-21

Rescheduled the date to: 2010-01-24

Interview Result :put on an AP

Visa Approved: 2010-02-11

Visa Received :2010-03-16

US Entry : 2010-03-18

Marriage : 2010-05-25

CHECK MY TIME LINE FOR REST OF INFO.

Heck I'll charge you $100 to check and recheck your forms for you! Matter of fact just send me the extra $100 and I promiss to throw it away for you, I PROMISS. Thats what you will be doing when you use a service.

Since I have been a member, I dont know how many prople I have seen come on here with problems with their K1 becasue the visa service or attny screwed them up. Just take your time, read, check,double check, tripple check and send them off.

04-12-08 Married

06-11-08 Mailed I-130 Package

06-18-08 NOA1

08-08-08 NOA2

10-22-08 Interview USEM

10-28-08 Visa Received

11-01-08 POE

That was fast!

Got to love the fact my wife was preggy and even with a RFE @ NVC she was still here in under 5 months!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

I tried to use a service for our K-1 ,and it turned out they were just a group of folks looking up the same websites that i was. they knew no more than me. they sent me a pre-addressed package to send our i129f(which they messed up because they couldn't use adobe reader) the package was addressed to the Atlanta field office. I called them to question this, and they said that was right place to send it. Well, of course it wasn't the right place, but that's where I sent it...lost forever. This immigration help service's website was right on th USCIS website homepage! with a little more research on my own I learned all I neede to know. we're waiting on our NAO2 after getting the NAO1 on may 5th. no need to pay anyone to do this. in fact it just makes it take longer.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Now there's a shocker..An attorney recommending you hire an attorney! LoL..No disrespect intended to brlukath. I have many friends that our attorneys that I would highly recommend..just not in this case.

Edited by MikenKyhen

IT'S NOT THE DESTINATION ITS THE JOURNEY...AND WHAT A JOURNEY IT HAS BEEN

Now there's a shocker..An attorney recommending you hire an attorney! LoL..No disrespect intended to brlukath. I have many friends that our attorneys that I would highly recommend..just not in this case.

There is #1 reason to not hire an attorney....they don't check their work well...THIS attorney edited his own post and still missed this...OUR should have been ARE....

LOLOLOLOL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mailed n-400 : 4-3-14

USCIS Received : 4-4-14

NOA1 Sent : 4-8-14

Biometrics Appt Letter Sent : 4-14-14

Biometrics Appt : 5-5-14

usaflag.gifphilippinesflag.gif

Poverty Guidelines : http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
VisaJourney Guides : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides
K1 Flowchart : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow
K1/K3 AOS Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos
ROC Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

DSC04023-1.jpg0906091800.jpg93dc3e19-1345-4995-9126-121c2d709290.jpg

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

There is #1 reason to not hire an attorney....they don't check their work well...THIS attorney edited his own post and still missed this...OUR should have been ARE....

Ok, I'm going to use the pizza dude's post to make two points.

1. The attorney didn't make the "our" vs "are" mistake. Somebody replying improperly did.

2. This kind of inattention to detail is one of the reasons SOME people really need to hire a professional to help them through the process.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I question the ethics of any attorney who will mislead folks as you have done above. A service is either practicing law or they aren't. If they aren't, there's no ethics problem. Skating on the edge is not unethical but an attorney trying to convince the public it is, definitely crosses the line, IMO.

When it comes to engaging professional services of any kind, do your due diligence

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I question the ethics of any attorney who will mislead folks as you have done above. A service is either practicing law or they aren't. If they aren't, there's no ethics problem. Skating on the edge is not unethical but an attorney trying to convince the public it is, definitely crosses the line, IMO.

When it comes to engaging professional services of any kind, do your due diligence

Please read carefully before you criticize my intelligence (thanks for at least defending my grammar pushbrk) or my ethics.

First, I admitted to being an attorney so that the OP could evaluate my advice having been forewarned of my potential bias. That is VERY ethical.

Second, I did not (and do not) recommend that the OP hire a lawyer. Rather, I said that when choosing between a reputable, knowledgeable, lawyer and a visa service, I would choose the lawyer. If the OP were comfortable with the DIY approach, I would recommend the DIY approach.

Finally, I did not state or imply that all (or any particular) visa services are unethical. Rather, I stated that, for someone wishing only to have the paperwork he or she has prepared reviewed, the visa service will not add value (i.e. provide any helpful advice as to how one should best complete his or her application) until that service gets dangerously close to or DOES IN FACT engage in the practice of law without a license, which is illegal. That means if the service doesn’t engage in illegal practices, a client who has already completed all of the forms and gathered all the documentation probably wasted his or her money paying for proof reading that could have been done by a reasonably literate friend.

No one has to agree with me. However, do not impugn my motives or my morals because you disagree with my opinion.

Edited by brlukath

And you missed ...they should have been .They! your not so smart after all.

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Ok, I'm going to use the pizza dude's post to make two points.

1. The attorney didn't make the "our" vs "are" mistake. Somebody replying improperly did.

2. This kind of inattention to detail is one of the reasons SOME people really need to hire a professional to help them through the process.

Ewww nice catch...my bad on that one and apologies to the attorney...but its pizzadude push brk....LOL

Mailed n-400 : 4-3-14

USCIS Received : 4-4-14

NOA1 Sent : 4-8-14

Biometrics Appt Letter Sent : 4-14-14

Biometrics Appt : 5-5-14

usaflag.gifphilippinesflag.gif

Poverty Guidelines : http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
VisaJourney Guides : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides
K1 Flowchart : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow
K1/K3 AOS Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos
ROC Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

DSC04023-1.jpg0906091800.jpg93dc3e19-1345-4995-9126-121c2d709290.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.