Matt & Jovy

Filipino foods that my Kano fiance doesnt like

169 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've been living here with Maria my Fiance for about six months now, while waiting for USCIS approval then NVC and finally the interview. We will go home to FL on June 28, and I will look forward trendously to food I really like. I've managed to get used to some of the dishes, and I even like a few very much, but there are some I just cant stomach:

1. Kari Kari - like your fiance I wanted to vomit;

2. Dangus, Bangus, or whatever its called.;

3. Balot - of course Balot is on an internet list somewhere as the first most horrible dish of all world cuisines;

4. The dish that is basically boiled whole blood. I forgot the name, but i wont even go near the pot;

5. Dillis

6. That awful smelling pinkish red stuff used as a spice or seasoning made from ground fish and shrimp. The day I had it the family was putting it on some sliced fruit from a tree that was hard and round and pear shaped. I think its a Mango, but I thought Mangos were very soft. Anyway that stuff is worse than Balot.

Carl

I want to list here the food that I like but he doesnt want to taste (or taste ever again)...

1. Isaw (chicken intestine ...one street of the popular street food here in the PI)...he tried kikiam and fishball though

2. Dinuguan (or what he called chocolate meat) he tried one sip but he said it tasted like iron

3. Fish belly (the best part of fish...especially for bangus (milkfish))... he just didnt like the soft texture and the black color of it

4. Tuwalya (ox tripe)...in kare-kare he just puked when he tried one bite...didnt the chewy texture

5. Balot...(a fertilized duck egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell-from wikipedia) ...he tried it the second night he was here...oh and I saw him all green and he was about to puke...

How about your fiance/fiancee?

Other things I noticed... they don`t eat full meals for lunch...and no (heavy) snacks (e.g. spaghetti, pancit, burger, etc) between meals. Hotdog is not a breakfast. No hotdog on spaghetti (but he likes sweet spaghetti, he even tried Jollibee spaghetti). They don`t use spoon to eat rice but they use fork instead.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to list here the food that I like but he doesnt want to taste (or taste ever again)...

1. Isaw (chicken intestine ...one street of the popular street food here in the PI)...he tried kikiam and fishball though

2. Dinuguan (or what he called chocolate meat) he tried one sip but he said it tasted like iron

3. Fish belly (the best part of fish...especially for bangus (milkfish))... he just didnt like the soft texture and the black color of it

4. Tuwalya (ox tripe)...in kare-kare he just puked when he tried one bite...didnt the chewy texture

5. Balot...(a fertilized duck egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell-from wikipedia) ...he tried it the second night he was here...oh and I saw him all green and he was about to puke...

How about your fiance/fiancee?

Other things I noticed... they don`t eat full meals for lunch...and no (heavy) snacks (e.g. spaghetti, pancit, burger, etc) between meals. Hotdog is not a breakfast. No hotdog on spaghetti (but he likes sweet spaghetti, he even tried Jollibee spaghetti). They don`t use spoon to eat rice but they use fork instead.

for me, he's missing out on a lot of great eats! i love every one of those you listed.

ROC mailed to USCIS -- June 10, 2011

ROC approved -- November 1, 2011

finally free of USCIS paperwork!

japan, japan! sagot sa kahirapan!

smswp8wx7d.png

I've been living here with Maria my Fiance for about six months now, while waiting for USCIS approval then NVC and finally the interview. We will go home to FL on June 28, and I will look forward trendously to food I really like. I've managed to get used to some of the dishes, and I even like a few very much, but there are some I just cant stomach:

1. Kari Kari - like your fiance I wanted to vomit;

2. Dangus, Bangus, or whatever its called.;

3. Balot - of course Balot is on an internet list somewhere as the first most horrible dish of all world cuisines;

4. The dish that is basically boiled whole blood. I forgot the name, but i wont even go near the pot;

5. Dillis

6. That awful smelling pinkish red stuff used as a spice or seasoning made from ground fish and shrimp. The day I had it the family was putting it on some sliced fruit from a tree that was hard and round and pear shaped. I think its a Mango, but I thought Mangos were very soft. Anyway that stuff is worse than Balot.

Carl

green mango with bagoong ! :rofl: its what most pregnant filipina crave for !

feb. 26,2008-----noa1

aug. 26, 2008----transferred to csc

sept. 19, 2008--- approved

NVC:

sept. 26, 2008----got case # from a live operator

oct. 6, 2008 ------received AOS bill/paid online

oct. 7, 2008 ------shows PAID

oct. 14,2008 -----IV fee generated/ paid online

oct. 15,2008 -----shows PAID

oct. 16,2008 -----mailed DS230 overnight

oct. 23,2008 ---- RFE

nov. 3,2008 ----- case complete

nov. 26,2008 --- medical exam

aug. 14,2009 --- remedical finally, passed

aug. 24, 2009 -- interview , passed

aug. 29, 2009 -- visa in hand

sept. 24, 2009 -- POE LAX

Hi all - since this thread seems interesting - to be at least partly in English - here goes! I am married to a Ukrainian, but I did visit the PI when I was a kid. I tried balut, but didn't care for it, so I sympathize with some of you guys. Also, my wife loves fish, especially with head and tail attached - I am more of a filet guy. She says that you can't really tell how fresh a fish is without the head still on it. I guess I never thought about it :lol:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

hi may i join here?

my fiance doesnt like oyster, lugaw,(goto) balot at sushi yak :blink:

one time na offense ako ng sabi ng fiance ko kahit ano daw kinakain ko at binigay nya sakin yung tissue :o try ko daw kainin yun... ngak! :angry: so i explain that am not picky in food then tampo ako kc na offense ako sa ginawa nya but then sinuyo naman nyako...

his making joke lang naman... so naging okay na kami... (L)

yun lang po... salamat (F)

event.png

Filed: Other Timeline
name='baybylove' post='3027144' date='Jun 15 2009, 05:55 AM']hi may i join here?

my fiance doesnt like oyster, lugaw,(goto) balot at sushi yak :blink:

one time na offense ako ng sabi ng fiance ko kahit ano daw kinakain ko at binigay nya sakin yung tissue :o try ko daw kainin yun... ngak! :angry: so i explain that am not picky in food then tampo ako kc na offense ako sa ginawa nya [/color]but then sinuyo naman nyako...

his making joke lang naman... so naging okay na kami...

yun lang po... salamat

Sorry to say this,but that was a poor joke of him. I will think of him that there is a posibility he is a jerk.

you might think I am over reacting to it. or I took it seriously but I will consider it as a red flag. of course this is only me. :innocent: however I am wishing you a good luck in the future.

Edited by lotus101

"True Love is never associated with violence,deception,abuse ( emotional,physical or verbal) constant sacrifice for the good of only one person,jealousy,fear or mistrust"

------------------------------------------

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Help is available to callers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Hotline advocates are available for victims and anyone calling on their behalf to provide crisis intervention, safety planning, information and referrals to agencies in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Assistance is available in English and Spanish with access to more than 170 languages through interpreter services. If you or someone you know is frightened about something in your relationship, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.

I love fish with head and tail attached too especially if its fresh and if its cooked fried, wow i can eat everything.

Hi all - since this thread seems interesting - to be at least partly in English - here goes! I am married to a Ukrainian, but I did visit the PI when I was a kid. I tried balut, but didn't care for it, so I sympathize with some of you guys. Also, my wife loves fish, especially with head and tail attached - I am more of a filet guy. She says that you can't really tell how fresh a fish is without the head still on it. I guess I never thought about it :lol:

Visit My Website

Nothing Worth Having is Easy.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My hubby dislikes:

1. Balut (actually he doesn't really like egg what more kung balut :P)

2. Bagoong (shrimp paste)

3. Sisig

4. Dinuguan

5. Isaw

6. Belly Bangus

7. Durian ( I don't like it either :P)

8. Palabok

9. Ube

10. Buko (he likes the juice tho)

And I can't remember the rest :P

Here are his likes:

1. Rice ( he can eat it 3x a day :D)

2. Adobo (this is his all time favorite ulam)

3. Siopao (he will kill anyone for this lol! joke lang :P)

4. Fish (he doesn't care with the head and tail hehe)

5. Mango (he prefers the green altho he likes the yellow too)

6. Pansit ( his fave is the canton but he will eat any kind of pansit tho)

7. Kare-kare (except for the tuwalya and bagoong :P)

8. Lumpia

9. Ampalaya ( as long as it is my mom's cooking and it is not too bitter)

10. I forgot the name of that pulutan that has pig ears with some onions and mayonnaise? I think it is called dinakdakan? he loves it so much.

11. Lechon (whether it is baboy or manok)

12. Pinoy Spaghetti (he likes the sweetness and the idea of putting hotdogs in it hehe)

13. Jollibee's cheesy fries, Pizza Hut's cheesy pops, Chowking's siopao and braised beef, Paotsin's siomai with rice etc.

14. Tilapia (this is his fave fish)

Edited by o0pink0o

My son named Zac

"My son's smile makes my day complete"

zac-1.jpg

VErqm5.png

MY K3 TIMELINE purple4.gifVid of how I prepared my interview documents purple.gifPapers that I brought on my USEM interview

AOS TIMELINE

06.17.2010 - submitted our papers

06.19.2010 - papers arrived at Chicago lockbox

06.24.2010 - Check cashed

06.28.2010 - NOA1 Hardcopy received (9 days from the day they got our papers)

07.05.2010 - Received Biometrics Schedule (July 26)

08.05.2010 - Biometrics done! (had to re-schedule from 7/26 to 8/5)

08.13.2010 - Got my interview letter

08.20.2010 - EAD card on production

09.06.2010 - Got my EAD Card (62 days)

09.07.2010 - Applied for SSN

09.14.2010 - SSN Card received

09.16.2010 - Interview schedule (APPROVED)

09.20.2010 - Welcome Notice Received ("Welcome to the USA")

09.25.2010 - 10 yr Green Card received! (98 days)

Timeline
....probably SWMbob dont!!I wonder if he be able to drink perfectly pure water recycled from urine, as astronauts do!!

Just don't piss down my leg.....and tell me it's raining :jest: "Don't piss down my leg and tell me it's raining." Roughly translated, that means when someone is doing something personally offensive to you, at least they should have the decency not to pretend they're NOT doing something personally offensive to you.

Whose being offensive here?read what you posted..BIGOT!

Keeping this response within the context of my earlier reply to you….

and I hope I didn't offend any future astronauts, but to make it a little more palatable, I was just having a go at you, lighten up.

I have to ask, Are you on the piss?

(That’s Aussie slang for, have you been drinking?)

Bigot?? A pretty strong word. Please attempt to show in this thread where my replies lead you to accuse me of bigotry?

P.S. I Love Bee ###### :devil:

All of what you list, typically end up as pet food ingredients here in the US. That is the disparity between 1st world and 3rd world.

So this isn't sound Bigotry to you huh?Or should i say Racist?? :devil: Goodnight!

Bigot is often used as a pejorative term to describe a person who is obstinately devoted to prejudices, especially when these views are either challenged, or proven to be false or not universally applicable or acceptable.

3561055465_7e32541543_m.jpg3561659436_e8b5cc66fc_m.jpg

"Our Wedding Prayer"

Lord,help us to remember when we first met,and the strong love that grew between us.

To work the love into practical things so nothing can divide us

Grant us a Love that grows stronger with each passing year.

We ask for words both kind and loving

and for hearts always ready to ask forgiveness as well as to forgive.

Guide us to overcome every challenge

and keep our dreams pure to each other always.

Dear Lord,we put our marriage into Your hands.Amen

If your heart acquires strength, you will be able to remove blemishes from others without thinking evil of them.

Timeline
Basta ako, I am proud of my Filipino heritage and I don't care whether Philippines is a 3rd world country or some people thinks that some of Filipino foods are considered pet food. :P:star:

My son named Zac

zac-1.jpg

VErqm5.png

MY K3 TIMELINE purple4.gifVid of how I prepared my interview documents purple.gifPapers that I brought on my USEM interview

AOS TIMELINE

Me too. I can only eat hamburger, french fries, pizza, steak etc. once in a while. But to make it as my regular dish, maybe not. To each his own, live and let live. I will still prefer all those filipino foods no matter what my fiancee or other people say. I respect them when they eat their food and I eat those foods with them so I think it's just fair for them to respect our foods also. I can't tolerate meat like rare or medium rare and I always tell my husband he has to respect it. I want everything to be well done. I miss mangga't bagoong kahit anong sabihin nila na yakk or disgusting. Pinay ako forever.

Timeline
Me too. I can only eat hamburger, french fries, pizza, steak etc. once in a while. But to make it as my regular dish, maybe not. To each his own, live and let live. I will still prefer all those filipino foods no matter what my fiancee or other people say. I respect them when they eat their food and I eat those foods with them so I think it's just fair for them to respect our foods also. I can't tolerate meat like rare or medium rare and I always tell my husband he has to respect it. I want everything to be well done. I miss mangga't bagoong kahit anong sabihin nila na yakk or disgusting. Pinay ako forever.

I agree :thumbs:

I miss mangga't bagoong din. May bagoong ako dito ala naman green mangoes :crying: hehe :D

My son named Zac

zac-1.jpg

VErqm5.png

AOS TIMELINE

Timeline
I have a long list of filipino foods husband doesn't like,but the two filipino favorites he dont really like are Balut and Toyo!when i eat Balut?he would say "no kiss for you after eating ####### foods" :devil:

Ate MJ, pareho pala sila ni Scott, no kiss daw if i won't brush my teeth after eating balut, hehehe... :lol:

Haha! :rofl: Nakaka-relate ako. My fiance is always telling me the same thing... :dance:

Met online (YM): 2003-07-31

First time we met in person (NAIA): 2007-08-23

2nd visit here in Phil: 2007-11-16

3rd visit here in Phil: 2007-12-28

4th visit here in Phil: 2008-11-09

Got engaged (El Nido, Palawan): 2008-11-16

5th visit here in Phil: 2008-12-29

Last time we saw each other: 2009-01-04

I-129F Sent: 2009-03-07

I-129F NOA1: 2009-03-12

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-06-29

NVC received : 2009-07-06

Stuck at NVC for 29 days

Left NVC: 2009-08-05

Embassy received: 2009-08-10

Medical Exam : 2009-08-25/27 PASSED

6th visit here in Phil: 2009-09-19

Interview : 2009-09-22 PASSED

CFO Seminar : 2009-10-02

Flight : 2009-10-23

Married : 2009-11-06

Applied for AOS, EAD and travel permit: 2009-12-09

Biometric schedule: 2010-01-21

Filed: Other Timeline

As a Filipino, there are some food that I don't like and I do not try to eat them since I was a kid.

the following filipino food that I dislike:

---kinilaw na isda or anything kinilaw

--- balut no. 12? the one has almost a chick :unsure:

---tuway and sosu

--ginamos

---octopus

--anything organ

--- snake meat

---dog meat

---saloyot--- morag sip-on

---okra

Filipino food that I like the most:

--chicken/pork adobo

--bam-e

--lumpia

--I like most fish, especially tuna, either fried,inon-onan, tinula I love it.

--ampalaya with ground pork and eggs in it

--mixtures of different vegetables with bagoong in it ( I forgot the name)

American food that I dislike:

--spaguite

--french fries

--mash potatoe

American food that I like the most:

--roasted turkey

--chicken soup

--waffle and pancake

Edited by lotus101

"True Love is never associated with violence,deception,abuse ( emotional,physical or verbal) constant sacrifice for the good of only one person,jealousy,fear or mistrust"

------------------------------------------

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Help is available to callers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Hotline advocates are available for victims and anyone calling on their behalf to provide crisis intervention, safety planning, information and referrals to agencies in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Assistance is available in English and Spanish with access to more than 170 languages through interpreter services. If you or someone you know is frightened about something in your relationship, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.