domegirl1978

How often to you get to see your fiance/spouse?

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
You have to admit - we're all pretty lucky. When I read through other forums on this topic <<<<SHUDDER>>>> and see how infrequently couples actualy talk - I don't know how they can form any kind of real relationship. I always want to say something, but it just comes out judgemental.

And we all know no matter how much we talked and interacted - the actual move makes us homesick and crazy some days too.

Just a random thought

As random as that thought may be... your thought is undeniably true. :)

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When we began "dating", we saw each other once a month. When we decided we were going to try and make this LD thing work, we saw each other twice a month. Since we've been married, we try to see each other every weekend but on average it's probably three out of every four weeks. It's only a five hour drive (boring as hell though) from Fort Wayne, IN to Woodstock, ON and we both enjoy driving, so it's no big whoop. We talk every single day on the phone also.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hi guys. I was thinking about it last night and thought I'd post a thread asking everyone how often you get to see your fiances/spouses?

For me its usually every 3-4 months. It'll be 3 months now when i leave for Florida in 2 weeks.

I see my baby about every 6 to 7 months and we talk on the phone every night for about an hour. We both are holding up pretty good because we just believe and have complete faith that things are going to work out for us.

Timeline
You have to admit - we're all pretty lucky. When I read through other forums on this topic <<<<SHUDDER>>>> and see how infrequently couples actualy talk - I don't know how they can form any kind of real relationship. I always want to say something, but it just comes out judgemental.

And we all know no matter how much we talked and interacted - the actual move makes us homesick and crazy some days too.

Just a random thought

So true, because if you only see your SO one or two times before moving and marriage, I just wonder HOW well you really know that person? Then I see all those posts "I'm getting a divorce" because they didn't actually know them at all.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

I stayed with David for two months then came back in December. Since then i've seen him 3 times, for 3-4 days each. basdicaly a few days in january, then valentine's day and Easter. The next time I will see him is the first week of July. Then my interview, wheneve that happens.

we talk online every day and he calls me during his lunch so we can actually here each others voices. If i could'nt here him i don't knwo what i'd do. He also sends me pictures all the time of him and my dogs ( i coudln't keep them in the apartment with my sister so he offered to bring them to chicago and care for them til my visa).

I miss them as much as i do david.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline
I stayed with David for two months then came back in December. Since then i've seen him 3 times, for 3-4 days each. basdicaly a few days in january, then valentine's day and Easter. The next time I will see him is the first week of July. Then my interview, wheneve that happens.

we talk online every day and he calls me during his lunch so we can actually here each others voices. If i could'nt here him i don't knwo what i'd do. He also sends me pictures all the time of him and my dogs ( i coudln't keep them in the apartment with my sister so he offered to bring them to chicago and care for them til my visa).

I miss them as much as i do david.

That is so sweet

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We see each other every 3-4 weeks. The last time we were together was the beginning of May, and I won't see him until the 30th of June....that will be our longest apart. But he will be on leave then, so I will go to the US for a week, and he is coming here for a week. It really all depends on what the price of airfare is. If going one weekend later is going to be $300-$400 cheaper, then it is worth the wait. We talk pretty much daily, either on the phone or on yahoo, but sometimes he is out in the field and it will be 2-3 days without talking. Also where he is living has NO cell signal, so that really sucks :(

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I usually see him once or twice a month

129F

14 Oct 2008 --- I-129F sent to VSC

17 Oct 2008 ---- NOA1 (rec'd Oct.23rd)

17 Mar 2009 ---- NOA2 151days (rec'd Mar.21st)

31 Jul 2009 ---- Interview - APPROVED!! (visa rec'd Aug.5th)

16 Aug 2009 ---- BIG MOVE!!!! So many conflicting emotions!

21 Aug 2009 --- marriage - civil ceremony

AOS, EAD, AP

13 Oct 2009 --- sent to Chicago Lockbox

18 Nov 2009 -- Bio app. for AOS and EAD (Rec'd Nov. 2nd)

18 Dec 2009 --- AP and EAD APPROVED!!!! (AP rec'd Dec. 29th; EAD rec'd Dec. 31st)

15 Jan 2010 --- AOS transfered to CSC!!

19 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

22 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

25 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

17 June 2010 ---AOS touched

18 June 2010 ---AOS touched

10 July 2010 --- AOS touched

12 July 2010 --- Letter to welcome new permanent resident and card ordered

Yes, we are lucky in Canada to be so close to the U.S. for this very reason. I've seen some remarks made in other forums here to Canadians commenting rather sarcastically about how we "whine and moan" about not seeing our partner etc. during the visa process. I can't imagine how hard it would be to just see someone once a year, or some people, meeting their partner one day, marrying the next, flying back that week, and filing for a K-1 visa. Wow!

Okay, got that off my chest. :lol:

Gene and I chatted M-F for 3 hours a night and on weekends, 8 hours a day, Sat. AND Sunday, until we met....18 months later. :huh: After 3 months of chatting like this, we also called on the phone, sometimes in lieu of chatting in the weekday evening, or in addition. My gosh, I HAD NO LIFE! :lol:

After we met initially, we met every 2-3 months over a 3 year period. Most of those visits were 10 days to 3 weeks, however one time 3 months.

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

Bill and I would see each other every 6-8 weeks. Considering he was a 24 hour drive away, the only way we could see each other was for someone to get on a plane. I'm so sick of flying, airports, airport security, TSA officials, airline employees, screaming babies in the plane, uncomfortable seats... ok I'll stop there.

We talked on the phone everyday (usually more than once) and on the internet everyday for at least a couple hours.

Four years later we'll never have to go back to that again!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

we saw each other at least every other month but it was usually only for about 2 days.. the longest time we spent together was about a week right after we got married

the longest we went without seeing each other was about 6 months and the shortest was 3 weeks...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

For the first 10 months of us dating we were 4 driving hours apart & saw each other 2-3 times a month(on weekends). Then I moved just outside Windsor, & for the past 9 months we are very fortunate to see one another 4+ days a week. I don't want to know how much $$ I've spent at The Ambassador Toll booth, but its worth it.

**I got a rewards card for the toll(with Nexus & you save $ crossing). With a "transponder" it automatically debits each crossing...so I don't "see" my money going, hehe.

I am truly grateful that we live close to the border that we can see each other this often.

"So true, because if you only see your SO one or two times before moving and marriage, I just wonder HOW well you really know that person? Then I see all those posts "I'm getting a divorce" because they didn't actually know them at all".

I agree. I know there probably ARE people that do that & they have strong marriages. I couldn't do it.

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Timeline

I see Jared every single day and sometimes I feel like going back to long distance :D Don't take being long distance for granted! There are days where I wish I had a little bit more space. I'm the most un-clingiest person in the world.

Any way, when we were LD we would see each other every 4 to 6 weeks. The longest was probably 2.5 months and I think we only did that once in the 2.5 year span. Lots of money went into the traveling, that's for sure! It was an adventure, though, and I was growing.

We chatted lots on the phone in the beginning, but contrary to what I have read in this thread, after about the year mark we stopped talking every day. We eventually ran out of ###### to talk about so..lots of times our phone calls were only 10 minutes long.

Every couple is different.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

We tried to plan visiting alternating every month with me visiting him one month and him visiting me next month. It worked for about 4 months, then we had to miss one month so the next few months was every 6 or 7 weeks. We would visit for extended long weekends - fly up (or down) on Friday and return on Monday. He flew up and spent 10 days with me at Christmas, our petition was approved while he was here, and then we didn't see each other again until he flew up to drive me down in May. I spent the time in between working on the K-1 visa, flying to Montreal for the interview, packing and getting ready for the move at home and at work. We moved 5 weeks after getting the Visa because he couldn't get away from work earlier and I needed time to train my replacement at work. We talked on the phone every night and were on email or IM multiple times during the day starting from early morning to late evening.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

We talk every day for hours... usually via msn messenger and webcam.. we email each other while we're at work, and try talk on the phone for at least a little bit every night. We can only talk about 2.5 hours max on the phone, cause his phone only lasts that long before it dies, and we've killed it a few times... lol I loooove Vonage. Free calls anywhere in Canada and the US. srsly.

Weekends actually are when we talk the least, because that's the time we use to do other things, like... try to be social. :lol: But we still connect every day. I have no life now. lol We also mail things to each other once or twice a month. It's nice to have something physical that I know he held, or wrote, or whatever. He actually just received my latest package today, which was his birthday present :)

We see each other every 2-4 months (from Jan-May was the longest stretch so far)... it really sucks. Though it's just between Canada - US, we're on opposite ends of the country, so it's costly to travel that far on a regular basis. It takes about 10-12 hours, via plane, to get there (with one or two stops, because there is no direct flight between here and there, since both the cities we live in are too small to have flights that go that far). I have no idea how long it takes to drive.. lol a few days or something.

I last saw him almost 3 weeks ago, and won't see him again until August 6th. :( However, it will be for a whole month, which is our longest consecutive length of time together! I have to take a leave of absence from work to do that, but we really felt we needed it, to be able to spend some REAL time together, not just 'vacation' time. After that, I'm not sure when I'll see him again... we don't want to go a 4 month stretch without seeing each other, but it just might depend on when I can get an interview :(

Edited by ashenflowers

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.