Kajikit

what would happen if you ignore a rfe?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

This is NOT me... I got my greencard last week. A friend of mine came to the US a few months before I did and she applied for AOS in March 2005. A few months ago they sent her a RFE for a new medical exam, saying that hers was too old and she had to have another one. Nothing more was said until the other day when I mentioned that I got my greencard (hooray) and she said that it's not fair she applied first and she still hadn't heard anything... and then she said that for various complicated reasons that I won't go into here, she IGNORED THE RFE! She thinks that since she had her medical exam in France that's enough and that somehow they'll accept the old one in lieu of a re-exam...

What is going to happen to her next week when her time for filling the RFE is up and she hasn't done it? Can you submit the form late and have them still accept it? Or is it a case of 'times up, you're out of here'... she thinks that she'll be okay but I've got a terrible feeling that the next time I hear from her it'll be her saying that she's been denied and deported (I KNOW she doesn't have the money for appeals and laywers, and I don't think 'we couldn't afford the medical' counts as a good excuse for not getting it...)

Also, if she did get denied and deported, would she and her daughter (born here) ever be allowed back into the US to visit the kid's grandparents?

Edited by Kajikit

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

she may get denied like anastasia.

guess she will have to wait until next week to find out!!! let us know if the 'various complicated reasons' for not answering the RFE affected the outcome at all! :thumbs:

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline

Completely ignoring an RFE will almost certainly get the AOS application denied.

At the least maybe she should write a letter pleading extenuating circumstances and let them know the medical exam is coming. And hope and pray that they accept the late medical exam.

But why do it late? Make the appointment and do it before the RFE due date.

Or, if she intends to not fulfill the RFE, I would think she needs to let them know her reasoning behind not complying with it instead of just ignoring it. She should seek an attorney's advice in composing her response so she can make some good legal arguments for why she should not have to submit an additional medical exam. Of course, it's probably cheaper to just go get the exam.

"When all else fails, read the instructions."

They will most likely reject the petition after a period of time and then would consider the beneficiary out of status.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

It seems pretty foolish to go this far and then throw the whole thing away. I can't imagine what your friend is thinking.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Like everyone else already said, I'll also chime in and say that she will probably get a "DENIED" letter very soon if she does not turn in her RFE! Like leaveing the US without an AP they would probably consider it an abondonment of her application. And like gimygirl already stated, look at Anastassia! She just got denied because she sent in the vaccination supplement only vs. the whole medical (because even the 800 number told her that it was ok). So I would tell your friend to get the medical done NOW or she can wave "bye. bye" to her husband very soon. The cost of getting deported will certainly not measure up to the cost of the medical, so even if she says she's poor she better make sure she finds the money somewhere.

January 10, 2003: K1 NOA

October 23, 2003: AOS NOA

November 10, 2005: AOS approved w/o interview (749 days!!)

September 30, 2009: German Beibehaltungsgenehmigung

February 9, 2010: Naturalization interview and Oath Ceremony!

View profile for detailed timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Not advisable. If necessary, it's better to put the medical exam costs on a credit card. We did not have the money excuse would not work -- that's why USCIS have minimum poverty guidelines.

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'd have to agree, she will likely be denied. I have to admit though, I am curious to know what these "various complicated reasons" are that would keep a person from completing the process after coming this far...

polarcanada.gifCDA.gif married to a USA.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

That's what I tried to tell her, folks... I was quite frankly horrified that she left it this long - when we got our RFE for a medical I jumped up and down whining about how it 'wasn't fair' for about ten minutes, and then I picked up the phone and booked an appointment for the next week. There was no way on earth I was going to take the chance of not getting it sorted out in time!

But I can see her viewpoint too - they're very young and they have a baby daughter and her husband lost his job just afer she was born and they've had no income for over six months and she JUST managed to find a job last week so she's still doing the training and she said she has to be in class from 8-5 every day without fail or they'll fire her on the spot... She probably had other things on her mind than immigration... If she'd asked me three weeks ago I would have sent her a check on the spot, but it's too late now... anyway, it's their life and it's up to her to decide what to do when she gets that denial letter. She lives two hundred miles away but I suspect I'll hear her screams of despair from here :(

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

I got an RFE November before my medical exam expires. Actually, I received the letter 2 weeks before it expires. I will have my medical exam tomorrow hopefully & my last day submission of of RFE will be this coming wednesday. So i might be 1 day late, i dont know. Anyway, i understand Kajikit's friend. Immigration is not the first priority maybe that time he/she receive the letter.

i hope your friend will be alright.

xtin

Michael (U.S)- xtin (U.K)

03/2003- start dating

07/04/2004 - I29F submitted to Texas Center

11/08/2004 - my honey's 8th & last visit[/color].

11/09/2004 - Interview & SUCCESS!!!

11/12/2004 - Flight to SC with my honey

12/29/2004 - The big day; OUR WEDDING DAY!!!

02/03/2005 - AOS & EAD sent to TSC

03/14/2005 - EAD & AOS NOA1 received!

03/14/2005 - check cashed in

04/12/2005 - Biometrics/fingerprinting done in Charlotte, N.C.

04/20/2005 - EAD card received!!!

09/19/2005 - received email from USCIS, case transferred to CSC

12/23/2005 - Im PREGNANT!!! (don't believe right away if dr's said "u can't have a baby!")[/

02/15/2006 - received e-mail from USCIS AOS APPPROVED!!

02/21/2006 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

08/11/2006 - Its a BABY GIRL!!!!!! (my honey said she's my mini me!)

12/2006 - My hubby was dx with cancer

04/2007 - The saddest day of my life... my hubby passed away at the age of 38

01/08/2008 - Removal of condition application submitted (I-751) to VSC

01/24/2008 - Checked cash in

01/26/2008 - NOA received

02/22/2008 - Biometrics appointment

03/2008 - Letter of extension received.

08/2008 - VSC still processing 09/2007 application

11/2008 - Patiently waiting..........

12/12/2008 - 10 yr. green card received!! !!!!

01/25/2010 - waiting for the time to apply for citizenship!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I'd be careful about sending it late. It's best to send it in the timeframe USCIS required.

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

It soesn't sound like the husband is pulling his weight. There aren't many excuses for going 6 months witout work in America. Maybe they can't get the job he wants but anything is better than nothing.

Hopefully she doesn't mess around and get deported. If that happens it will be a nightmare to come back.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

We ingnored an RFE. Ok. it actually never got to us (lost in the mail or never sent?). So when we went to get an interim EAD they told us that our case was on 'hold' for an unanswered RFE. We didn't get the EAD either. I was told to get the evidence in quick before the case was denied. I ended up writing the NBC to have the RFE resent and our case got rolling again.

We didn't answer the RFE until 2 months after the RFE deadline. There is time.

Edited by rch99

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.