Sandrila

Tatoo Discussion

63 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

Check this story out...speaks to just this topic.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31214408/

Family Christmas photo turns up in Czech ad

The Missouri family's image ended up on a storefront in Prague

updated 8:43 p.m. ET, Wed., June 10, 2009

ST. LOUIS - When Danielle Smith and her family posed for their Christmas card photo last year, they knew they'd share it with family and friends. But the Missouri family wasn't expecting it to show up in the Czech Republic, splashed across a huge storefront advertisement.

Smith, 36, who lives in the St. Louis suburb of O'Fallon, said Wednesday that she posted the photo on her blog and some online social networking sites. It featured her, her husband Jeff and their two children.

About 10 days ago, a college friend was driving through Prague when he spotted their huge smiling faces in the window of a store specializing in European food. He snapped a few pictures and sent them to a flabbergasted Smith.

"It's a life-size picture in a grocery store window in Prague — my Christmas card photo!" she said.

Plans an apology

Mario Bertuccio, who owns the Grazie store in Prague, said the photo was from the Internet. Details were sparse, but he said he thought it was computer-generated. When told it was a real photo — of a real family — he said he started taking steps to remove it.

"We'll be happy to write an e-mail with our apology," said Bertuccio.

The Smiths and photographer Gina Kelly hadn't authorized anyone to use the pictures. Kelly said she has asked a professional photographers' organization to help figure out how her image wound up in Prague.

Smith has gotten 180,000 hits to her Web site since she recently posted the story about the well-traveled snapshot. She said the photo wasn't used in an unseemly manner, only to tell potential shoppers about the store's delivery service.

Smith said next time she posts a photo on the Internet, she's going to lower the resolution or add an electronic watermark to make it hard to reproduce.

"This story doesn't frighten me, but the potential frightens me," Smith said.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
Check this story out...speaks to just this topic.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31214408/

Family Christmas photo turns up in Czech ad

The Missouri family's image ended up on a storefront in Prague

updated 8:43 p.m. ET, Wed., June 10, 2009

ST. LOUIS - When Danielle Smith and her family posed for their Christmas card photo last year, they knew they'd share it with family and friends. But the Missouri family wasn't expecting it to show up in the Czech Republic, splashed across a huge storefront advertisement.

Smith, 36, who lives in the St. Louis suburb of O'Fallon, said Wednesday that she posted the photo on her blog and some online social networking sites. It featured her, her husband Jeff and their two children.

About 10 days ago, a college friend was driving through Prague when he spotted their huge smiling faces in the window of a store specializing in European food. He snapped a few pictures and sent them to a flabbergasted Smith.

"It's a life-size picture in a grocery store window in Prague — my Christmas card photo!" she said.

Plans an apology

Mario Bertuccio, who owns the Grazie store in Prague, said the photo was from the Internet. Details were sparse, but he said he thought it was computer-generated. When told it was a real photo — of a real family — he said he started taking steps to remove it.

"We'll be happy to write an e-mail with our apology," said Bertuccio.

The Smiths and photographer Gina Kelly hadn't authorized anyone to use the pictures. Kelly said she has asked a professional photographers' organization to help figure out how her image wound up in Prague.

Smith has gotten 180,000 hits to her Web site since she recently posted the story about the well-traveled snapshot. She said the photo wasn't used in an unseemly manner, only to tell potential shoppers about the store's delivery service.

Smith said next time she posts a photo on the Internet, she's going to lower the resolution or add an electronic watermark to make it hard to reproduce.

"This story doesn't frighten me, but the potential frightens me," Smith said.

As long as it was a product that I really believed in, I wouldnt mind. :P j/k

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Wow, to the article! Crazy something like that could happen!

Okay.... :ot:

but that is HORRIBLE that someone would take pic off this site or any other and promote it somewhere else falsely. I guess that's life. You put your pics out there and crazy people do crazy things. That's why I don't like to put pics of my son out there. Which stinks, cause he's a cutey!

Sorry.... :ot2:

Edited by 100% Al Ahly Fan

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Filed: Other Country: Lebanon
Timeline

I have my nose pierced. I got it done the first time in Feb 2005, but i got an abcess and took it out. I got it done same side and all Sept 2006. I love my nose ring, and When i had my gallbladder out i had to take it out and first order of business when they brought me back to recovery was trying to get my nose ring back on....couldnt get it in after 2 hrs! grrr....i cried. i tried daily to keep it open with a clean earring until i could get a new ring that was thinner. Finally Christmas day i got a nose ring back in and i was sooooooooo happy!!!

I had my tongue done too but it ripped after 3wks so the dr at the ER told me i needed to take it out or id lose part of my tongue. So that came out and i never got it redone.

June 11 05-Married George, civil ceremony in New York

May 30 08-Baby Joshua was born

Jan 15-Back to NY we go...

May 10-made decision not to go back overseas.

July 10-filed for divorce

Jan 11-Divorce final

July 11-1st trip to take Josh to see George

Mar 12-2nd trip to take Josh to see George

MfXV.jpg.png

1LR1.jpg.png

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
I have my nose pierced. I got it done the first time in Feb 2005, but i got an abcess and took it out. I got it done same side and all Sept 2006. I love my nose ring, and When i had my gallbladder out i had to take it out and first order of business when they brought me back to recovery was trying to get my nose ring back on....couldnt get it in after 2 hrs! grrr....i cried. i tried daily to keep it open with a clean earring until i could get a new ring that was thinner. Finally Christmas day i got a nose ring back in and i was sooooooooo happy!!!

I had my tongue done too but it ripped after 3wks so the dr at the ER told me i needed to take it out or id lose part of my tongue. So that came out and i never got it redone.

OUCH!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I've heard that having a pre-existing tattoo is somewhat like the issue of non-Muslim name. As long as it's not anti-Islam then there's not much issue with it. I've also thought it was funny that it's totally ok to have your ears pierced (a form of mutilating your body), or your nose pierced (in countries like Pakistan/India/Afghanistan) but tattoos are a taboo. Also a lot of Berber and even Arab women in North Africa tattoo their chins and foreheads and this is considered acceptable. Who knows!

I always wondered about this. I thought it was interesting that having ear's peirced is okay, but a tattoo is haram. Honestly, my feelings is that I can't judge anyone. It's all up to the person getting the tatoo and God.

As for me, unfortunately I have one. I got my name on my upper arm/shoulder when I was 18 to spite my mother. I wish I hadn't, but what's done is done. I thought about having it removed (though it doesn't look bad and no one except my hubby sees it now) but I keep it to remind me how foolish I was in some of the choices I made in life and how I am so thankful to have moved past that. Not to mention to have it removed is also a form of changing your body, which is why it's haram to get it in the first place. Ahmed doesn't have any and I wouldn't get another one.

Actually my understanding is that tattoos are considered "not accepted" in Islam, Christianity and Judaism. I know for sure Islam, but I thought the other two as well.

You are correct about Judaism. The prohibition is actually a Biblical one (Kitovet Kaaka) against any permanent disfigurement of the body. I'm guessing that this is a very similar motivation for the Islamic ban on the practice. The Talmud goes on to clarify exactly what constitutes "Kitovet Kaaka" and indicates that it is meant for permanent tattoos, hence things like henna, or "kiddie" tattoos are ok. The Nazis tattooed identification numbers on the arms of prisoners in the concentration camps. Amongst all the other indignities and atrocities which were inflicted upon Jews during the Holocaust, this violation of the Biblical commandment against tattoos was but a minor one. (Minor because compared to being beaten, robbed, imprisoned, enslaved, raped, starved, and murdered, what's a tattoo?).

I don't have any tattoos or piercings. Neither does my SO (well, her ears are pierced :P ). In my case it's not for religious reasons since I am not at all observant or religious. I'm just not into them. I find the human body much more attractive in its natural state, unadorned and unmodified.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Neither of us have tattoos. For me, it's because I wouldn't want anything permanent on my body only because you never know what will happen in the future, how you might change, and what you might end up regretting. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I like looking at other people's though!

I have one tattoo I got 20 years ago, and yes placement does matter. When I got it well, it was a rose, after having twins, it is now a bouquet! not soooo attractive. Oh well, I am not getting anymore and he has none.

lol :huh::lol:

I could never endure the pain of nose, lip/tongue, eyebrow, belly button or any other piercings than the ear.

My 12 year asked me about a month ago about a belly button piercing and I said, "I think you know my answer"

She said EVERYONE IN MY CLASS HAS THEM! :unsure: That just flipped me out. At that age, to do that.

I mean I just want them to remain innocent and unmarked until they are way older to understand the rammifications of what they are doing. What they like when they are young they may regret when older. I told my children I don't regret mine but I can cover them and when spring/summer hits people are surprised. They never knew I had my anklet tatoos.

how can I tell the children no, when I got them myself? Their father has at least 8-10. The whole coversation of being a hyprocrite starts to creep in.

To each their own but I don't want my babies to have them. The chances of them getting one is great in this day and age. I am fond of being covered in tatoos. To each his own, the art of it is amazing and I have known some very talented artist. Now my own mother and step father talk of getting one and they are closing in on 60!

Who's got their nose pierced? I wanted a lilttle crystal stud and my boss said no.

OMG, okay....so again this is something I did at 18 years old. Guess I was just a wild child! I used to wear a tiny diamond stud in my nose for years. I think I was about 23 when I took it out and never put it back in. I thought the hole would close, but it hasn't in almost 10 years.

your new avatar pic is adorable

Hey Lisa,

Thanks so much. I too, really like the pic of you and your boo! Hey maybe I should start a post about that. See if we can get pics over all who want to share. Hmm....something to think about.

Sharifah

Sharifah I keep trying to post pictures but they are always too large.

I am bummed out about it so I had to resort to FB for sharing pix.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
I have one tattoo I got 20 years ago, and yes placement does matter. When I got it well, it was a rose, after having twins, it is now a bouquet! not soooo attractive. Oh well, I am not getting anymore and he has none.

lol :huh::lol:

I could never endure the pain of nose, lip/tongue, eyebrow, belly button or any other piercings than the ear.

My 12 year asked me about a month ago about a belly button piercing and I said, "I think you know my answer"

She said EVERYONE IN MY CLASS HAS THEM! :unsure: That just flipped me out. At that age, to do that.

I mean I just want them to remain innocent and unmarked until they are way older to understand the rammifications of what they are doing. What they like when they are young they may regret when older. I told my children I don't regret mine but I can cover them and when spring/summer hits people are surprised. They never knew I had my anklet tatoos.

how can I tell the children no, when I got them myself? Their father has at least 8-10. The whole coversation of being a hyprocrite starts to creep in.

To each their own but I don't want my babies to have them. The chances of them getting one is great in this day and age. I am fond of being covered in tatoos. To each his own, the art of it is amazing and I have known some very talented artist. Now my own mother and step father talk of getting one and they are closing in on 60!

Lisa,

I dont think its hypocritical if you are telling them that they have to be older to make the decision. My mom said "you can do whatever you want when you're 18, but while you are a child, under my roof NO TATS OR PIERCINGS" :secret: I talked her into letting me pierce my tongue right after graduation at 17 :P

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.