S and S

First Jobs in the US for MENA SOs

115 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline
Ahmeds first and only job so far is a company that packages and processes foods like ketchup, mustards, salad dressings etc. Now his job has something to do with the packaging and boxing, something like 3-4 thousand filled boxes a day, (he lifts and stacks). This is the bottom job apparently and very hard but he is sticking it out. Now the thing is he talks to a few of the Mexican (there are all kinds of races there, everything is covered) and this mexican starts to tell him how he has been here 7 years with NO papers, working, and ALL his family is the same way. Ahmed doesnt get it why is he still here, how can he stay and all his family why do they go home etc......The company directly hired ahmed (helped i worked across the street for a state legal division) but alot come thru temp agencies but the biggest BUT is he got the lowest job. Now one day two bosses were assigning jobs and they told him here you stay at this station, and as they walked away he overheard them say (that job is for the foreigners), this one job usually gives people two hour shifts rotation but not for him he gets to stay all day. Now you tell me there is not racists against him compared to the ones who were also foreigners (viet naim, mexico, black, one was lebonese i believe all kinds. Cant something be done against those working with no papers ? I think they see somebody working very hard to please them, doing better than most have ever done, sticking out the situation and they are just letting him continue to please them but keeping him at the bottom.

At home he owned a grocery, degree in literature and also speak 3 languages

That is ridiculous and not very encouraging since I'm in the same city as you now. Jobs in OKC are not easy to get, as we have figured out. We keep looking though. I agree there is some racism going on because of so many illegal workers here that they can get cheap.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is my husband is a medical school graduate. It will take a couple years to get through the exams and start residency so for now he must find some other work. We had hoped to keep him in the medical field with a lower job. I even sent him through Nursing Assistant school and he got the certification for that. He has applied through two health care systems, but no call back. The hospital recruiter at one really wants to help him, but the managers keep saying my husband is over qualified. It is really frustrating. He even took the hospital tests for both Nursing Assistant and Medical Assistant (though he didn't go to Medical assistant school) and he passed both tests. We tried the nursing homes, but they want him to switch his license to the state we moved to and that takes time, though we will do it. For now, the nursing homes will not even look at his application.

Although I am USC and there are surely barriers that I have not had to deal with, I do have a suggestion that maybe will work for your husband. I'm a Physical Therapist Assistant. I do not hold a permanent job at any one facility, but work through an agency. It's kind of like having an agent....I tell them when I'm available to work, and they market me to facilities they have contracts with. I know that my agency is nationwide and they do place CNA's--not sure about Medical Assistants. If you would like u can PM me and I can get u the info about my agency....GOOD LUCK!!!

Timeline
The problem is my husband is a medical school graduate. It will take a couple years to get through the exams and start residency so for now he must find some other work. We had hoped to keep him in the medical field with a lower job. I even sent him through Nursing Assistant school and he got the certification for that. He has applied through two health care systems, but no call back. The hospital recruiter at one really wants to help him, but the managers keep saying my husband is over qualified. It is really frustrating. He even took the hospital tests for both Nursing Assistant and Medical Assistant (though he didn't go to Medical assistant school) and he passed both tests. We tried the nursing homes, but they want him to switch his license to the state we moved to and that takes time, though we will do it. For now, the nursing homes will not even look at his application.

Although I am USC and there are surely barriers that I have not had to deal with, I do have a suggestion that maybe will work for your husband. I'm a Physical Therapist Assistant. I do not hold a permanent job at any one facility, but work through an agency. It's kind of like having an agent....I tell them when I'm available to work, and they market me to facilities they have contracts with. I know that my agency is nationwide and they do place CNA's--not sure about Medical Assistants. If you would like u can PM me and I can get u the info about my agency....GOOD LUCK!!!

Do you have any idea what their requirements are for CNA's? The two agencies we talked to wanted the one year experience. If you think there is a chance, then it would be worth checking into.

I knew and explained to my husband that he would have to do anything in the beginning just to get his feet wet.

I had a few connections who may have been willing to help him but thank god my old boss promised me he would employ him in a heart beat and he did.

He is a security officer. No ?s asked, no additional info from him. he didnt even have his SS card at the time of application. I was so relieved. He started one day after greencard receipt.

I am very thankful. He is getting his feet wet and has started to apply for jobs elsewhere.

He works very long 12 hour shifts both sat/sun and it leaves no time for us personally. He misses out on so much

and his boss is a little of a jerk.

School? He wants to go in the future but I think what is hard is that he can't move forward exactly like we do.

He has to first take the initial English and Grammar lessons needed to understand and write the English language.

You can't just jump right into any class without being able to read, understand and articulate what they are teaching and you are going to have to study and memorize.

It will come little by little.

At least he wants to work. Is reliable and a good representation of his company! :star:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Thanks for taking the time to write everything out. Those are good suggestions. We have done some of them, but not all. I will certainly keep your advice in mind. As for money, it is tricky. I'm not working anymore and will start unemployment soon. I am going back to school and will get paid almost a $1000 a month while in school, but that isn't much. We really do need him to work at least a decent job to make up the difference though it doesn't have to be super paying for starting out of course. Surviving and keeping up on the minimum bills is the key.

If he needs a year of school to get a decent job, then put him in school! While it's not the ideal situation, could you put off your school for a year while he gets certified? Then he could make a decent salary and support you while you go to school.

Would you both be able to work ok jobs and go to school part time? That may work. When AbuS arrived, I worked full time and went to school part time at night. It made for some long days (7:30 am until 10 pm), and it didn't do much for our relationship, but it kept us from being homeless.

I will say this now ladies - DO NOT expect your husband to get a job that pays a decent wage. If he does, then you can be pleasantly suprised. But if he doesn't, then you won't be screwed over because you planned for him to bring in x amount. Best to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

And if you're still in school or plan to go back soon, put off immigration if it's possible. I was ready to file for AbuS in 2003, but waited until 2005 because I wanted to complete my BA and get a job that would support us before bringing him here. I ended up pursuing a certificate while he was here, but we did ok moneywise with just my job, even paying for school.

Edited by UmmSqueakster

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline
Thanks for taking the time to write everything out. Those are good suggestions. We have done some of them, but not all. I will certainly keep your advice in mind. As for money, it is tricky. I'm not working anymore and will start unemployment soon. I am going back to school and will get paid almost a $1000 a month while in school, but that isn't much. We really do need him to work at least a decent job to make up the difference though it doesn't have to be super paying for starting out of course. Surviving and keeping up on the minimum bills is the key.

If he needs a year of school to get a decent job, then put him in school! While it's not the ideal situation, could you put off your school for a year while he gets certified? Then he could make a decent salary and support you while you go to school.

Would you both be able to work ok jobs and go to school part time? That may work. When AbuS arrived, I worked full time and went to school part time at night. It made for some long days (7:30 am until 10 pm), and it didn't do much for our relationship, but it kept us from being homeless.

I will say this now ladies - DO NOT expect your husband to get a job that pays a decent wage. If he does, then you can be pleasantly suprised. But if he doesn't, then you won't be screwed over because you planned for him to bring in x amount. Best to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

And if you're still in school or plan to go back soon, put off immigration if it's possible. I was ready to file for AbuS in 2003, but waited until 2005 because I wanted to complete my BA and get a job that would support us before bringing him here. I ended up pursuing a certificate while he was here, but we did ok moneywise with just my job, even paying for school.

Our problem is we don't have children now and putting off my school would mean trying to work, take care of children and go to school. Also, I must go to school full time to receive the $945 a month as well as my going to the university is free, but his schooling would not be. I have a limit on how long I can use the free tuition as well. Also, I will start unemployment next month which can bring in another $1400 a month for nine months. If I work and go to school part time I lose the unemployment and part of the $945. It makes more sense for him to work any job, even with small wages to make up the difference of what I'm not making. Whereas if I work instead we will make much less money since I have no degree or certifications. We are planning to send him to another school part time once he does have a stable job so that he can later try for a better job.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

He arrived here as a high school grad. Restaurant, Target, restaurant, restaurant, restaurant, restaurant, groundskeeping...that was the first year. Finally got something at a fiber optics plant, has been there almost a year, makes more than I do, loves it, and they are shutting down this month. But they gave the employees a lot of notice and are bending over backwards to help them land on their feet. Meanwhile, he's registered for an associate's degree program at the tech school to start in August, so we're optimistic. Absolutely anything local to add to the résumé helps.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

After receiving work authorization, we wanted to wait till after we took our vacation. When we got back, Hachemi went to a boat manufacturing plant just down the road from our house. He filled out the application and they told us to wait. A man came and got him and he was gone about 20 minutes. He came out smiling and said they had hired him and he was to start the next day. He worked there for a year and decided to go back to school. He has a computer science degree and now in his second year studying computer networking. He had stopped by the Exxon convenience store pretty often to get coffee and they asked him if he needed a job. He said yes and quit his full time job to work part time and go to school full time. What is funny is everybody thinks he owns the store. He has a hard time convincing people that he does not. They think he is joking with them. :lol: I have been at the store while he is working and have been asked if we were the new owners.

Meriem (F)

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Timeline

Hmm, how about UPS? It's only part time, but it pays decently - $8-10 an hour I believe, and many places offer tuition reiumbursement.

https://ups.managehr.com/EarnandLearnProgram.htm

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline

try Fresenius Medical Care and Davita. They are both big Dialysis Companies. Usually they are hiring Patient Care Techs. You can go on their web sites and look for openings in your area. They train you and you don't need experience. Would be nice if you were a CNA with who has their Med Aide Cert.

Do you have any idea what their requirements are for CNA's? The two agencies we talked to wanted the one year experience. If you think there is a chance, then it would be worth checking into.

I have put a call in to my company. Since I am in the Allied side of things (therapies) my agent didn't have the specific answers for me. I gave her the information that I have about ur husbands' situation. She is looking into it for me and says she will give me a call back. I would be surprized to hear back from her today, but will be more than happy to let u know as soon as she or someone else from my company gets back with me.

Take care,

Melynda

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Everyone has posted really great advice and tips. It is definately of great use for those of us that are waiting for our SO's. Sometimes I do wish that I had waited to file immigration because going to school and worrying about bills is tough.

Casandra and Aziz's Timeline
03/26/07 - Received my first call from Aziz
07/21/07 - 1st trip
12/14/07 - 2nd visit to Morocco
05/20/08 - 3rd visit to Morocco
07/10/08 - Married in Morocco
02/15/09 - 4th trip to Morocco

05/12/12 - 1st trip to Morocco together

CR1 Visa Journey
10/06/08 - Sent I-130 Packet
10/09/08 - Received NOA1
04/24/09 - Approval Notice Sent for I-130
07/13/09 - Informed by NVC Casa consulate busy***wait for September interview
07/27/09 - Received appointment letter from NVC WOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
09/14/09 - CR1 interview in Casa @ 8:00 am ******APPROVED******
09/15/09 - Visa in Hand
11/07/09 - Travel to US
11/27/09 - Received greencard
ROC
10/21/11 - Sent I-751 package
10/24/11 - USCIS receives the package
10/31/11 - NOA1 received
11/18/11 - Biometrics Interview in JAX
06/27/12 - Approval Notice sent

N-400

09/21/13 - Application filed

09/26/13 - NOA received

10/24/13 - Biometics apt

12/12/13 - Interview date

01/01/14 - Approval notice sent

03/27/14 - Oath ceremony

Timeline

Adam started out for the first week or two with construction work with bricks. He had worked M-F 7am to about 5pm. It was pretty helpful. Then he got hired for Walmart working overnight and on June 28th will be his 1st yr anniversary there... he will transfer when we go to Texas, but he wants to do something else... so we will see.

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

S and S,

Yes, its an extremely difficult for professionals who must start at the bottom again in the US. My thoughts are that you and your hubby work together to sell himself at an interview. To be told that he is over qualified is ridiculous (but not uncommon). Help him prepare a few comments to make during an interview. Something along the line of, " I understand that I may be considered overqualified, however I think this creates a great opportunity for us both. As an immigrant to the US, I will have to complete a residency program in order to become a licensed physician. I expected it will take a few years before I can enter a program. In the meantime, I've completed a certified nursing assistant program to establish myself in the healthcare field here in the US. Given the state of the economy, I would think you have your choice of candidates and that its to the benefit of your team and the hospital to hire someone who has skills and experience beyond your expectations." I think its worth a try, either they'll love it or hate. If they hate it, probably means they wouldn't have offered him the job anyway. Come up with a few responses and practice them.

I know its tough. I'm in school as well. We got married 2 months before I started my PhD program. It was stressful at times, helping my hubby apply for jobs, and getting to interviews (he didn't know his way around very well) plus my coursework. But everything did work out in the end. We had to budget very carefully. My hubby had a problem with underemployment. He had 2 positions that were supposedly full-time, but he was rarely scheduled to work full time. Anyway, just remembered it does get better in time. School should be your focus, but maybe you might want to look into temp work during school breaks and vacations. I had a few friends who did this in undergrad & grad school, they enjoyed the experience and extra cash.

Timeline

I have put a call in to my company. Since I am in the Allied side of things (therapies) my agent didn't have the specific answers for me. I gave her the information that I have about ur husbands' situation. She is looking into it for me and says she will give me a call back. I would be surprized to hear back from her today, but will be more than happy to let u know as soon as she or someone else from my company gets back with me.

Take care,

Melynda

Thank you so much for going through all this trouble. I truly appreciate it. Please do let me know if you hear anything.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.