UmmSqueakster

Sending money via Western Union just got a little harder

82 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Yes IKOBo is the best way to transfere money ..No need to exchnage money ..and visa machines are evrey where in any country ..and besides it's about 60% cheaper than W.U..

and the wonderful thing once you click send online it reach to the other side in the same time ..adn no ask you who you are sending this money or why...

I have been using Ikobo for long and I think It's fantastic ....W.U really sucks ..

another advantage ..you don't have to go to W.U in "thier working hours" and fill a paper to send or recieve the money ..you go any time with your Ikobo card to any visa machine and get your money in your own currancy ..I don't think there's any thing greater than this..

Salwa

AOS JOURNEY:

===========

2007- April -25: AOS SENT AND FILED

2007- April -27:AOS package delivered

2007- May -05: NOA1 recieved in Mail

2007- May -23: Biometrics Appointment @ 9 Am

2007- May -15: RFE recieved

2007- June-05:RFE paper sent

2007- June-08: RFE recieved

2007- August- 08 : Interview at 10 A.M

2007- october- 04 :Card production ordered

2007-october- 05: Welcome letter recieved in mail

2007-october-11 : Approval notice sent

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
Yes IKOBo is the best way to transfere money ..No need to exchnage money ..and visa machines are evrey where in any country ..and besides it's about 60% cheaper than W.U..

and the wonderful thing once you click send online it reach to the other side in the same time ..adn no ask you who you are sending this money or why...

I have been using Ikobo for long and I think It's fantastic ....W.U really sucks ..

another advantage ..you don't have to go to W.U in "thier working hours" and fill a paper to send or recieve the money ..you go any time with your Ikobo card to any visa machine and get your money in your own currancy ..I don't think there's any thing greater than this..

Salwa

my husband in Turkey prefers WU because he can get american dollars and convert them at a better exchange than he can with going to the ATM. I am sure though he is NOT calculating what the fee is

to send him the money so in the long run maybe we are better off trying IKOBO?? will certainly look

into it.

thanks

OUR K-3 INTERVIEW WAS ON NOV. 1ST @ 10:00!!!

VISA APPROVED!!!

WE ARRIVE IN THE USA ON NOV. 10TH!!!

Filed: Timeline

Salwa

my husband in Turkey prefers WU because he can get american dollars and convert them at a better exchange than he can with going to the ATM. I am sure though he is NOT calculating what the fee is

to send him the money so in the long run maybe we are better off trying IKOBO?? will certainly look

into it.

thanks

I signed up. Of course this will vary with country, but as an example... I would normal pay $20 in fees via Western Union... with Ikobo I paid $6.95. The only kicker is... if he goes to the ATM often there is a $0.99 fee for each transaction (point of sale is free). But if he uses it to take out the cash, that makes it a $7.95 fee which is still a whole lot cheaper.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Moneygram is cheaper than WU, but they have been doing this holdup for security checks since 9/11. When I was in Rabat earlier this year, I sent some money to myself via Moneygram just to see what my husband had been complaining about. It took more than an hour of the poor clerk at the agent's office holding on the phone to verify who I was and allow me to have my own money. After that, I gave him a bank atm card to use. He withdraws cash at the atm when he needs to, and the fee for each transaction is usually less than $5.

Fast, easy, cheap, and convenient. In the modern world, atms are the way to go!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

well i dont like terrorists .. but being racist and discriminating people is wrong and unamerican. I believe in being careful and in national sercurity but family members trying to send money should be able to be done without any problems

glitter_maker_12_28_2006_10_08_52_29516.gif

us3.jpg

Copy_of_Algeriaflagsamir.gif

usaflagshannon.gif

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
CAUSE George W and his gang of Outlaws said so :lol::lol:

we had so much of our libertys taken away in the last 6 yrs. then any other time in history.

People dont relize that we are so close now to dictatorship it is not funny.. It is scary.

Yogi

WELL, FREEDOM ISNT FREEDOM, AFTER ALL!

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Land of the "Free" unless you know a middle easterner...

This is getting ridiculous. I respect the need for "national security" but I think ... well nevermind.

LOL Jean! Are you feeling the freedom? ;) This year the 4th has a whole new meaning for me and I'm sorry to say, it's not a good one. Home of the Free????? Maybe if Amr had been here with me in a few months, I would change my tone. I am so upset with my country right now. The whole visa process made me open my eyes to how our country runs. We says we are not prejudice, but I have learned this is not the case. Now I am sure I will hear "It took longer because your fiance is from Egypt!" Who cares? Our country profiles INNOCENT (did you hear me say INNOCENT) people which in turn takes months and months for a visa. I still ask myself everyday why this took so long for us and why it's taking so long for other men and women with fiances/spouses from Middle Eastern/select Asian countries. When I hear it is due to the fact they are muslim, I have to sit and think. Ok, how many muslims are in the U.S, Canada, etc? They don't get checked out like others have too. Oh, I cant' forget "but their name is Mohammed!" News flash, if they pulled up my name, which is very common by the way, I'm sure there is a lot more of me then the dear Mohammeds. Sorry Jean. I don't mean to be going off on one of your post, but I'm sure you know where I am coming from. I do thank God everyday that Amr and I are finally together, but when I think about what we went through to get here, it makes me cringe.

Oh, and before I receive any nasty PMs, it is in my plan to leave the U.S permenatly in a few years. ;)

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

DITTO DITTO DITTO

I'm with ya all the way!!!!!

I now have a whole new perspective on freedom.

While I do appreciate the concern of my government, my husband is not nor ever will be a terrorist!!!!! He is a REAL muslim! Peaceful, loving, generous, respectful just to name few qualities about him.

Oh dear, I guess i could go off on the deep end of this issue, but I won't.

As an FYI...we use MONEYGRAM. Much cheper than WU and less of a hassle too.

My 2 cents...

chi

I'm glad to see I am not the only one cringing at "Home of the Free". How can I celebrate my freedom when I lost it when I married my husband (Ahmed). If he is a terrorist then I am a black male in a white womans disquise. Sorry...touchy subject.... :crying:

You just made my day!!!

LOL

AMEN

I am sorry, but what you wrote me me laugh so much. Even while I am crying with you!

Truth hurts they say?

Moneygram is cheaper than WU, but they have been doing this holdup for security checks since 9/11. When I was in Rabat earlier this year, I sent some money to myself via Moneygram just to see what my husband had been complaining about. It took more than an hour of the poor clerk at the agent's office holding on the phone to verify who I was and allow me to have my own money. After that, I gave him a bank atm card to use. He withdraws cash at the atm when he needs to, and the fee for each transaction is usually less than $5.

Wow, we have never had a proble with MONEY GRAM. The money is available almost instantly and DH uses his passport.

098bdb652297eb8af8222ef77903ebf5.gif

.png

Married in 04

"Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections."

chiqa.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

This is getting ridiculous. I respect the need for "national security" but I think ... well nevermind.

LOL Jean! Are you feeling the freedom? ;) This year the 4th has a whole new meaning for me and I'm sorry to say, it's not a good one. Home of the Free????? Maybe if Amr had been here with me in a few months, I would change my tone. I am so upset with my country right now. The whole visa process made me open my eyes to how our country runs. We says we are not prejudice, but I have learned this is not the case. Now I am sure I will hear "It took longer because your fiance is from Egypt!" Who cares? Our country profiles INNOCENT (did you hear me say INNOCENT) people which in turn takes months and months for a visa. I still ask myself everyday why this took so long for us and why it's taking so long for other men and women with fiances/spouses from Middle Eastern/select Asian countries. When I hear it is due to the fact they are muslim, I have to sit and think. Ok, how many muslims are in the U.S, Canada, etc? They don't get checked out like others have too. Oh, I cant' forget "but their name is Mohammed!" News flash, if they pulled up my name, which is very common by the way, I'm sure there is a lot more of me then the dear Mohammeds. Sorry Jean. I don't mean to be going off on one of your post, but I'm sure you know where I am coming from. I do thank God everyday that Amr and I are finally together, but when I think about what we went through to get here, it makes me cringe.

Oh, and before I receive any nasty PMs, it is in my plan to leave the U.S permenatly in a few years. ;)

DITTO DITTO DITTO

While I do appreciate the concern of my government, my husband is not nor ever will be a terrorist!!!!! He is a REAL muslim! Peaceful, loving, generous, respectful just to name few qualities about him.

My 2 cents...

chi

I'm glad to see I am not the only one cringing at "Home of the Free". How can I celebrate my freedom when I lost it when I married my husband (Ahmed). If he is a terrorist then I am a black male in a white womans disquise. Sorry...touchy subject.... :crying:

You just made my day!!!

LOL

AMEN

I am sorry, but what you wrote me me laugh so much. Even while I am crying with you!

Truth hurts they say?

I'm feeling the same way today girls. I too feel I have lost the freedom that I am supposed to have. I am in love with the most wonderful man and I can't be with him because of the warped views people in my country have. I pray that all of us away from our men will have a celebration of another kind soon. Can't say I will ever think of the 4th the same again.

DITTO DITTO DITTO

My 2 cents...

chi

You just made my day!!!

LOL

AMEN

Truth hurts they say?

Wow, we have never had a proble with MONEY GRAM. The money is available almost instantly and DH uses his passport.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

the ikobo card wouldnt work in algeria... nobody accepts credit cards except for the 3 major american hotels in Algiers.. and that's all.. so if i was going to send him one he'd have to get a hotel room.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
the ikobo card wouldnt work in algeria... nobody accepts credit cards except for the 3 major american hotels in Algiers.. and that's all.. so if i was going to send him one he'd have to get a hotel room.

There's no ATM's in Algeria? Geeez and I thought Morocco was behind!

Timeline

There arent any because most people live with their bank card (which is not a visa or mastercard related bank card) and people use just plain money.. there is paper money or carte bancaire.. and Algeria is not a tourist country, so they don't feel the need to setup a whole new systems for outsiders, considering foreigners are limited here..

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
There arent any because most people live with their bank card (which is not a visa or mastercard related bank card) and people use just plain money.. there is paper money or carte bancaire.. and Algeria is not a tourist country, so they don't feel the need to setup a whole new systems for outsiders, considering foreigners are limited here..

wow

Filed: Timeline

We have used WU without any problems but I've never tried sending any money to him there so I can't speak to that. It doesn't cost much for him to send it and it's here right after.

Edit: I want to add though that I think it stinks that anyone's money would be caught up just because of his/her name or where they are in the world. This wouldn't happen to any other group in Amreeka without a huge protest. :no:

Edited by veiledprincesslayla

Timeline

How about they stop money transfers to and from people with the first name David because of David Koresh.. or what about the first name of the guy who blew up the Oklahoma city building? (geez his name is slipping my mind, its late here..)

Or the unibomber

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.