Rod

Crossing over!!! The road to becoming legal!!!

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Thank you all for all the comments and responses.

Like all of you said since I was 18 I had a choice. You're right. I could have chosen to stay in Brazil with my relatives but I didn't. I followed my parents back here. We all entered with a visitor's visa and overstayed.

Staying in Brazil by myself to me seemed the worst thing I could think. Did I know it was wrong? Yes I did. so today I live the consequences.

Like I said in the beginning, I get said sometimes because of not being able to legalize my status here. That's all.

Uscandal and many others don't appreciate people breaking the law of this country. I don't either. I don't agree or do I condone any types of crimes including illegal immigration a crime.

I can't change the past but I'm trying to take the right steps in the present. Like I said, my mother has applied for me and here I wait for my priority Date to come up.

I may have to wait a little longer than Uscandal but my hope lives that one day it will happen.

Meanwhile I take care of my family and live each day trusting in God.

Anyway, can someone please answer my original question.

Thank you!!!

To be with your family, and try to get your legal status. This is the most important. If your wife is an american, you may get it done quickly.

Wish you the best of luck.

05/29/09, sent application package to Chicago USCIS for both parents

06/05/09, Checks cashed

06/08/09, NOA's received, online status visable

06/12/09, Bio letters received

06/29/09, Bio done

06/30/09, case transfered to California

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Like all of you said since I was 18 I had a choice. You're right. I could have chosen to stay in Brazil with my relatives but I didn't. I followed my parents back here. We all entered with a visitor's visa and overstayed.

Staying in Brazil by myself to me seemed the worst thing I could think. Did I know it was wrong? Yes I did. so today I live the consequences.

Like I said in the beginning, I get said sometimes because of not being able to legalize my status here. That's all.

Uscandal and many others don't appreciate people breaking the law of this country. I don't either. I don't agree or do I condone any types of crimes including illegal immigration a crime.

I can't change the past but I'm trying to take the right steps in the present. Like I said, my mother has applied for me and here I wait for my priority Date to come up.

I may have to wait a little longer than Uscandal but my hope lives that one day it will happen.

Thank you!!!

It will probably be another 5 years before your case would become current in the F3 category. However, there is no "forgivining" your illegal overstay. You will most likely be subject to a ban. You cannot seek benefits under US immigration laws while at the same time violate it on a daily basis.

The only way your overstay can be "forgiven" is if you have a US citizen spouse petition for you. Your legal entry into the US will save you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thank you!!!

Rod,

You seem like a decent, reasonable person, caught in a bind.

Were our situations reversed, I could easily see myself writing your words, and perhaps you writing mine. We don't seem all that different.

Except.

We are different. Every day that you knowingly stay in the US, is yet another day that you break US law. if your goal is to be law abiding, I see an inherent conflict there. I can't sort it out for you, only you can do that.

Others are asking repeatedly why you are looking to adjust status based on your mother's petition, rather than your spouse - presuming your spouse is USC.

I have no doubt this logic would have occurred to you long before you ever posted to VJ, were it a possibility.

You have only posted in this thread twice. In your first post you reference obliquely that you "got married". Not that you are still married, or the status of your spouse.

In your second post you say that you "take care of your family".

I'm just guessing that this means you don't have a USC spouse. Either you did, and are divorced from her.

Or you are still married but she is not a USC.

That would explain why you are keen to know your priority date based upon your mother's 2005 petition.

I don't have any further advice for you.

If it's any consolation (I doubt it is), I don't personally bear you any ill will, beyond my general feeling of anger that on a daily basis people break laws and get away with it scot free. Not just immigration laws. All kinds of laws. I'm realistic enough to understand that this is so and I can't do much about it. That doesn't mean I have to like it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.