24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
my mom makes about, with a guess...28-29,000$ my brothers income is 8088.00 a year...(we are soooo close)

there has to be away...what if my mom does not claim all my kids this year, can we knock the household size down a little> and then add me during the adjustment of status

PLEASE ANYONE ANY IDEAS..I WILL DO WHAT EVER TO GET HIM HERE, WE ARE IN LOVE...

Yes, there is a way. Earn enough to be able to support a family of that size. If you're already letting your mother claim your kids as dependents, then you obviously don't earn enough to benefit from claiming them yourself. It sounds to me like you can't even afford to support your kids, and your mother has her hands full already.

I appreciate that you're in love. It's a safe bet that most of the people here are in love. But love doesn't pay the bills, and love won't feed your kids. How are you going to come up with the $1010 filing fee for the AOS when it comes time to bring your fiance here?

OK, CAN MY MOM USE HER ASSETS TO PROVE THE 36,912...SHE OWNS A TRAILOR, A BIGSCREEN, A CAR...SHE IS ONLY A LITTLE BIT SHORT ON THE 36,912. HER WAGES LAST YEAR WAS 27,284 PLUS THE DISABILITY INCOME WHICH IS 8088.00...THAT MAKES IT 35, 372...? SHE IS GONNA MAKE MORE THIS YEAR TOO..

WHAT ABOUT THE BIGSCREEN, IT WILL BE PAID OFF BY THAT TIME..COULD SHE NOT JUST GET PROOF OF OWNERSHIP ON THAT?

THE TRAILOR IS WORTH 10,000.. BUT, SHE SAYS HER SISTER TOOK THE LOAN FOR IT..SO IT IS IFFY IF SHE "OFFICIALLY OWNS IT" (WHAT KIND OF PROOF OF OWNERSHIP WILL SHE NEED FOR THE TRAILOR?

Please stop using all caps. Shouting is not necessary.

Yes, she can use assets to make up the difference. You can only use assets that can be converted into cash in 12 months or less. You cannot use your primary car as a qualifying asset, but if you own more than one then you can use the second, third, etc. You can use the trailer, but only if she owns it outright. She can't use it if it's in her sister's name, which is likely if her sister has a loan on it.

You can only claim the NET value of the assets. This means what they would be worth if you SOLD them, and NOT what you paid for them originally. Subtract any money still owed on them, like mortgages or loans. You have to submit proof of ownership and a claim for the value of each asset.

The total value of the assets must be 5X the difference between the minimum income requirement (125% of the poverty level) and actual income of the sponsor.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

i used the all caps, because the font is soooo small! as for my mom claiming my kids is because of a car accident and having seizures i get disability income. so i let my mother claim them, i can work, and have, just not until my doctor clears me for that..So please, stop with the speculation, I AM THE ONE WHO SUPPORTS MY KIDS, I DID THAT OUT OF KINDNESS FOR MY MOTHER BECAUSE I AM NOT ABLE TO FILE TAXES WHILE ON DISABILITY..NEXT TIME YOU TRY TO JUDGE, WHY DON'T YOU KNOW ALL THE FACTS FIRST..I DID NOT COME HERE TO BE JUDGED I CAME HERE FOR HELP. I MAKE PLENTY OF MONEY TO PAY ALL MY BILLS AND PAY FOR ANY COST OF IMMIGRATION..AND YOU WON'T FIND A POST HERE FROM ME THAT SAYS THAT I CAN NOT.

I THINK THE STRESS ALONE FROM ALL THIS NIGHTMARE IS PLENTY WITHOUT BEING JUDGED BY IGNORANT PEOPLE, AND ACCUSED OF SHOUTING!! CAN YOU REALLY HEAR ME?

IF THEIR ARE ANY POLITE PEOPLE, WHO HAVE COMPASSION FOR THIS AWFUL PROCESS AND THE STRESS IT PUTS ON WELL MEANING PEOPLE I REALLY COULD USE SOME HELP FROM THEM. ANY RUDE COMMENTS ARE NOT NECCESSARY

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Regarding assets, see page 8 of the I-864 instructions for how to establish value. the form -->> I-864 The paragraphs are near the bottom on the right hand side. Your mom would have to show that the trailer is in her name (title or ownership document) and have a recent appraisal of its value. Brother Jim is correct about the primary car, it cannot be used.

Ther income that is considered is current income. So if your mom will earn more in 09 you would use that number. The sponsor needs to show recent paystubs and a letter from employer proving the claimed annual income if they are using wages. If not wages, then supply proof of whatever is being claimed as income. Just determine what she will earn this year and submit the supporting evidence.

Finally, it is more difficult to read all caps. And also it is considered shouting in the online world. We are all stressed during the visa process. Just don't hit send when it's making you pull your hair out. (at least that is what I try to do) :)

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
i used the all caps, because the font is soooo small! as for my mom claiming my kids is because of a car accident and having seizures i get disability income. so i let my mother claim them, i can work, and have, just not until my doctor clears me for that..So please, stop with the speculation, I AM THE ONE WHO SUPPORTS MY KIDS, I DID THAT OUT OF KINDNESS FOR MY MOTHER BECAUSE I AM NOT ABLE TO FILE TAXES WHILE ON DISABILITY..NEXT TIME YOU TRY TO JUDGE, WHY DON'T YOU KNOW ALL THE FACTS FIRST..I DID NOT COME HERE TO BE JUDGED I CAME HERE FOR HELP. I MAKE PLENTY OF MONEY TO PAY ALL MY BILLS AND PAY FOR ANY COST OF IMMIGRATION..AND YOU WON'T FIND A POST HERE FROM ME THAT SAYS THAT I CAN NOT.

I THINK THE STRESS ALONE FROM ALL THIS NIGHTMARE IS PLENTY WITHOUT BEING JUDGED BY IGNORANT PEOPLE, AND ACCUSED OF SHOUTING!! CAN YOU REALLY HEAR ME?

IF THEIR ARE ANY POLITE PEOPLE, WHO HAVE COMPASSION FOR THIS AWFUL PROCESS AND THE STRESS IT PUTS ON WELL MEANING PEOPLE I REALLY COULD USE SOME HELP FROM THEM. ANY RUDE COMMENTS ARE NOT NECCESSARY

Forgive me if you thought I was being rude. That was not my intention. However, it WAS my intention to be frank and honest with you. I'm sorry if you feel that's rude.

My comments were realistic, and you provided all of the information I needed to make the conclusions that led to my comments. You have three children, which you've stated you are supporting. Where you get your income is of no consequence, but you stated you could not meet the financial requirements on your own, even if your kids are not considered your own dependents. This means your income is below 125% of the poverty level for 2 people. Any reasonable person would wonder how you could afford to pay for a process that will cost you nearly $2000 in fees alone. Even if your income were just below the threshold, that would be more than 10% of all the money you receive in a year, and it doesn't include the costs of going to visit your fiance, or the cost of your fiance coming to the US. If you think I was being judgmental, wait until your fiance gets to his interview at the US consulate. The first thing they're going to suspect is that he is paying all of fees, and possibly even paying you to sponsor him. Their suspicion is going to be even stronger when they see that your co-sponsor is equally stressed financially.

I'm sorry if you think this is rude, but it is the reality that you're facing. Your income is going to be a red flag to the consulate.

As far as my comment about your kids, you stated before that you are supporting them. But if your income is not sufficient to support two people at 125% of the poverty level, then it's not unreasonable to conclude that you can't afford to support yourself and three children. The fact that you are doing it is certainly commendable, but one has to wonder if their needs are being fully met at your income level, and just how much lower their standard of living is going to be when your foreign fiance comes on board and cannot work until he get's his EAD. Frankly, I don't see an easy way around this dilemma. The consulate is going to believe that you can't afford to support your kids, and your co-sponsor can barely afford to support them.

I would also be very careful about telling USCIS or the consulate that you are supporting your kids, but you allow your mother to take the tax deduction for them. If your mother is not actually supporting them then it's illegal for her to claim them as dependents, even if you think you're being kind by allowing her to do so.

I'm telling you the same thing I would tell my best friend if he were in the same situation - you can't afford to do this. Wait until your financial situation improves. This is a time to be thinking with your head, and not with your heart.

Again, apologies if I offended you.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

i don't have any ideal when my doctor will allow me back to work, (think with my head?) my head tells me, even the greatest love could not survive that kind of uncertainty. All i know, is that i have to find a way around my circumstances...as for my disability( omg, i make as much monthly income as some people do with full time job) and i get child support on top of that.

so if that income does not "fit" with their numbers, so be it, then most full time workers then are also, living below the poverty level

no, i am not rich, but i live within our means and all our bills are paid. and everything they need is provided for. This too shall pass(ever heard that one before). but until it does, whenever that may be..we will make it..because i have a huge family and alot of support.

i am paying for my flight cost to go there...my dress, his ring, and i have support from my family on that.. he is paying for his side of the immigration costs, his flight and the wedding party i think it is equally divided(AGAIN CONJECTURE)

IS IT A FULL MOON TONIGHT?

Forgive me if you thought I was being rude. That was not my intention. However, it WAS my intention to be frank and honest with you. I'm sorry if you feel that's rude.

My comments were realistic, and you provided all of the information I needed to make the conclusions that led to my comments. You have three children, which you've stated you are supporting. Where you get your income is of no consequence, but you stated you could not meet the financial requirements on your own, even if your kids are not considered your own dependents. This means your income is below 125% of the poverty level for 2 people. Any reasonable person would wonder how you could afford to pay for a process that will cost you nearly $2000 in fees alone. Even if your income were just below the threshold, that would be more than 10% of all the money you receive in a year, and it doesn't include the costs of going to visit your fiance, or the cost of your fiance coming to the US. If you think I was being judgmental, wait until your fiance gets to his interview at the US consulate. The first thing they're going to suspect is that he is paying all of fees, and possibly even paying you to sponsor him. Their suspicion is going to be even stronger when they see that your co-sponsor is equally stressed financially.

I'm sorry if you think this is rude, but it is the reality that you're facing. Your income is going to be a red flag to the consulate.

As far as my comment about your kids, you stated before that you are supporting them. But if your income is not sufficient to support two people at 125% of the poverty level, then it's not unreasonable to conclude that you can't afford to support yourself and three children. The fact that you are doing it is certainly commendable, but one has to wonder if their needs are being fully met at your income level, and just how much lower their standard of living is going to be when your foreign fiance comes on board and cannot work until he get's his EAD. Frankly, I don't see an easy way around this dilemma. The consulate is going to believe that you can't afford to support your kids, and your co-sponsor can barely afford to support them.

I would also be very careful about telling USCIS or the consulate that you are supporting your kids, but you allow your mother to take the tax deduction for them. If your mother is not actually supporting them then it's illegal for her to claim them as dependents, even if you think you're being kind by allowing her to do so.

I'm telling you the same thing I would tell my best friend if he were in the same situation - you can't afford to do this. Wait until your financial situation improves. This is a time to be thinking with your head, and not with your heart.

wait, i think their is big misunderstanding..i believe that i make enough for 2 people...i just don't make enough for household of 5.

and i thought, that is why their was a "cosponsor" in cases like this where u simply do not earn enough.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

wait, i think their is big misunderstanding..i believe that i make enough for 2 people...i just don't make enough for household of 5.

and i thought, that is why their was a "cosponsor" in cases like this where u simply do not earn enough.

Making enough for two isn't relevant when you have three children. As you said, you support your children but you allow your mother to benefit from the tax deduction. As such, your children count as your dependents.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Making enough for two isn't relevant when you have three children. As you said, you support your children but you allow your mother to benefit from the tax deduction. As such, your children count as your dependents.

pushbrk, i always love to hear from you, cause your a straight shooter, you answer the questions ask and you make no personal judgments.

so can i ask you, can his friend sponsor him, then? i mean, can his friend send me an I-134 by mail to send in with mine, which "wont be sufficient"...will that change anything? can his friend just sponsor him with household of 2..and leave it like that..

or does his friends, sponsoring him "with me" increase household size

i am just trying to find a way for us to be together.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Ok, you need to take a step back and read the guides over and over and read all the info already given to you and understand what they're asking and what we're informing you.

There's really no need to make several topics regarding the same issue as the answers will be the same.

As the petitioner you will have to supply a I-134 Form, an Affidavit of Support, for you fiance to take to the interview with the appropriate documentation to support it. Regardless of if you meet the guideline's requirements you will need to fill it out. The amount which you need to surpass is that of your household (whoever you file as dependent on your taxes) + your fiance.

If you don't meet the requirements you are allowed to use a co-sponsor. The co-sponsor works exactly as you would, meaning that the co-sponsor will fill out the same form and support the proper documentation as well, and he/she also MUST meet the requirements for their household + your fiance. Again household is the sponsor + anyone filed as dependent of him/her.

Be aware that usually tax returns for the past 3 years is presented both at consulate stage as later during AOS and the officer handling your case will make a decision based on if he thinks the sponsor's income is stable among other things. Some might accept just one year.

You can't combine yours and your co-sponsor's income, and if the co-sponsor does not meet the requirement he can't be used and you'll have to use a different one.

And that's it, you'll see rules as far as using assets go, etc. by reading the guides but the basics are there and no matter the amount of topics you make that's the answer you'll get.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.