Danno

'Gay' gene claim suddenly vanishes

347 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Funny thing... most still seem to think plural marriage and polygamy are the same thing.... :no: this would include for the possibility of one (or more) woman having more than one husband. How would you like being husband #3?

Again, I would not enter a plural marriage; but have no problem with folks who would, or who de facto live as such; as long as they are all consenting adults.

Practically it seems unworkable - what with trying to sort out child custody and the division of property.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Having lived in that environment for years (I was a hippie before I became a money grubbing facist), the polygamist or communal society becomes strangly monogamist, or bigamist, but in a modular sense. Partners get shuffled on an irregular basis, not nightly. I hear the same thing happens in retirement communities among the unmarried residents.

#######?!?!?! Old ladies and geezers having sex????? :dead:

Old people need loving too! That is why God created the Philippines! :P

(And why Ewok created VJ, I suppose. :unsure:)

Edited by Mister_Bill

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
It means multiple men and women in a single "marriage" - not a marriage of multiple women centered around a single man.

Plural marriage is a mass marriage with multiple women and multiple men? The ones below don't always mean one man with multiple wives under the name of polygamy.

Egalitarian polygamy: Polygamy within "peer marriages" in which all spouses have equal power. Decisions are made by mutual consent. Child nurturing, discipline, other parenting tasks and all other jobs are distributed among the spouses by consensus.

Group marriage: A committed relationship involving more than two persons. It often involves a commitment ritual. Synonym: Polymarriage

Polyandry: A marital practice in which one woman is married to more than one man.

Polygyny: A marital practice in which one man has married more than one woman.

Polymarriage: A committed relationship involving more than two persons. It often involves a commitment ritual. Synonym: Group marriage

Plural marriage: Synonym for polygyny. Commonly used to refer to Mormon polygynous relationships. One husband shares many wives; each wife normally has a separate living space.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Funny thing... most still seem to think plural marriage and polygamy are the same thing.... :no:

polygamy n.

the practice of having more than one wife or husband at the same time. Compare polyandry, polygyny.

polyandry n.

the practice or condition of being married to more than one husband at the same time.

polygyny n.

the practice or condition of being married to more than one wife at the same time.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Funny thing... most still seem to think plural marriage and polygamy are the same thing.... :no:

polygamy n.

the practice of having more than one wife or husband at the same time. Compare polyandry, polygyny.

polyandry n.

the practice or condition of being married to more than one husband at the same time.

polygyny n.

the practice or condition of being married to more than one wife at the same time.

Hey - don't shoot me, I said I have no issues with plural marriage - I would just not enter one. Yeah yeah I know, I am anachronistic, insecure and jealous :lol:

Having lived in that environment for years (I was a hippie before I became a money grubbing facist), the polygamist or communal society becomes strangly monogamist, or bigamist, but in a modular sense. Partners get shuffled on an irregular basis, not nightly. I hear the same thing happens in retirement communities among the unmarried residents.

#######?!?!?! Old ladies and geezers having sex????? :dead:

Old people need loving too! That is why God created the Philippines! :P

(And why Ewok created VJ, I suppose. :unsure:)

GAWD!!!! Triple :dead:

OK, now we have defined what is and isn't polygamy (more or less) are there any actual examples of marriages that include the 2 men/2 women type of scenario in current societies? We all know of examples of men having a harem but, again that is not the same thing as is being discussed in this thread.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

OK, now we have defined what is and isn't polygamy (more or less) are there any actual examples of marriages that include the 2 men/2 women type of scenario in current societies? We all know of examples of men having a harem but, again that is not the same thing as is being discussed in this thread.

There is this: (Check the link for a picture of the happy triple)

First Trio "Married" in The Netherlands

The Netherlands and Belgium were the first countries to give full marriage rights to homosexuals. In the United States some politicians propose “civil unions” that give homosexual couples the full benefits and responsibilities of marriage. These civil unions differ from marriage only in name.

Meanwhile in the Netherlands polygamy has been legalised in all but name. Last Friday the first civil union of three partners was registered. Victor de Bruijn (46) from Roosendaal “married” both Bianca (31) and Mirjam (35) in a ceremony before a notary who duly registered their civil union.

“I love both Bianca and Mirjam, so I am marrying them both,” Victor said. He had previously been married to Bianca. Two and a half years ago they met Mirjam Geven through an internet chatbox. Eight weeks later Mirjam deserted her husband and came to live with Victor and Bianca. After Mirjam’s divorce the threesome decided to marry.

Victor: “A marriage between three persons is not possible in the Netherlands, but a civil union is. We went to the notary in our marriage costume and exchanged rings. We consider this to be just an ordinary marriage.”

Asked by journalists to tell the secret of their peculiar relationship, Victor explained that there is no jealousy between them. “But this is because Mirjam and Bianca are bisexual. I think that with two heterosexual women it would be more difficult.” Victor stressed, however, that he is “a one hundred per cent heterosexual” and that a fourth person will not be allowed into the “marriage.” They want to take their marriage obligations seriously: “to be honest and open with each other and not philander.”

http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/301

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
If marriage laws were designed to prevent 'emotional' issues, they'd ban 65 year old men from marrying 18 year old girls from third world countries who barely speak their language........

That's not the basis for the objection though. I was just throwing that in because I very much doubt very many people have considered the emotional reality of such a complex arrangement when 'throwing it out there' as a possibility. Wanting sex with multiple partners necessarily means that you are not really that interested in exclusive relationships, which is the reality of what marriage means.

sister, that would be taking a very set idea of what marriage is. Marriage is a contract. Relationships that lead to commitment are -hopefully- based on love and respect. Sex is frosting (pun intended)

...you are not really that interested in exclusive relationships, which is the reality of what marriage means.

You're applying a traditional definition of marriage to a rapidly changing world.

Kind of like what anti-gay marriage people do, when they say 'the reality of what marriage means' is between one man and one woman.

If we're going to throw out traditional marriage, I suggest we do so entirely.

WORD

ditto

Madame Cleo,

Permitting gay marriage is all about having an open mind about how people want to live their lives and define their own relationships.

Your mind is anything but open.

So Charles keeps telling me :) I'll tell you this, I am not open to a plural relationship, period! :lol:

you sure did seem to like the idea of two husbands :lol:

How will you get that from your 3 wives and 2 husbands?

What if you want sex with wife #2 but you can't get any because Husband #1 is keeping her to himself and is nobbing her at every opportunity?

I'll let him have her and have sex with wife #1.

We're all friends, remember. It's not about competition.

and maybe wife #1 might want to do wife #2

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

How will you get that from your 3 wives and 2 husbands?

What if you want sex with wife #2 but you can't get any because Husband #1 is keeping her to himself and is nobbing her at every opportunity?

I'll let him have her and have sex with wife #1.

We're all friends, remember. It's not about competition.

and maybe wife #1 might want to do wife #2

It's all good. :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

polygamy n.

polyandry n.

polygyny n.

Hey - don't shoot me, I said I have no issues with plural marriage - I would just not enter one. Yeah yeah I know, I am anachronistic, insecure and jealous :lol:

you're so much a conservative! :jest:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

There is this: (Check the link for a picture of the happy triple)

First Trio "Married" in The Netherlands

The Netherlands and Belgium were the first countries to give full marriage rights to homosexuals. In the United States some politicians propose "civil unions" that give homosexual couples the full benefits and responsibilities of marriage. These civil unions differ from marriage only in name.

Meanwhile in the Netherlands polygamy has been legalised in all but name. Last Friday the first civil union of three partners was registered. Victor de Bruijn (46) from Roosendaal "married" both Bianca (31) and Mirjam (35) in a ceremony before a notary who duly registered their civil union.

"I love both Bianca and Mirjam, so I am marrying them both," Victor said. He had previously been married to Bianca. Two and a half years ago they met Mirjam Geven through an internet chatbox. Eight weeks later Mirjam deserted her husband and came to live with Victor and Bianca. After Mirjam's divorce the threesome decided to marry.

Victor: "A marriage between three persons is not possible in the Netherlands, but a civil union is. We went to the notary in our marriage costume and exchanged rings. We consider this to be just an ordinary marriage."

Asked by journalists to tell the secret of their peculiar relationship, Victor explained that there is no jealousy between them. "But this is because Mirjam and Bianca are bisexual. I think that with two heterosexual women it would be more difficult." Victor stressed, however, that he is "a one hundred per cent heterosexual" and that a fourth person will not be allowed into the "marriage." They want to take their marriage obligations seriously: "to be honest and open with each other and not philander."

http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/301

What is the legal difference in the Netherlands between a civil union and marriage? Presumably there is some legal nicety that is not being explained in this article. It would be interesting to find out.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .