Kar98

What I don't understand...

98 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Been reading a lot of posts here where the first thing the foreign spouse has to do after arriving is to attend English classes.

Now don't get me wrong, but how in the HELL does one fall in love when the couple can't even communicate with each other in a common language AND both partners live hundreds or thousands of miles away?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Been reading a lot of posts here where the first thing the foreign spouse has to do after arriving is to attend English classes.

Now don't get me wrong, but how in the HELL does one fall in love when the couple can't even communicate with each other in a common language AND both partners live hundreds or thousands of miles away?

a. Not everyone here is in love. The requirements for a visa are marriage, or intention of marriage. Nobody said anything about love. There are many people who for private reasons of their own want to form a relationship where "love" isn't necessarily a part of it. Not my thing, mind you. But I don't judge.

b. Verbal communication is very useful for falling in love. It's hardly the only way for it to happen. "Love at first sight" and all that kind of thing....

Don't be so judgmental. Do what's good for you, let others do what's good for them.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

there are a couple of americans that actually speak other languages.

maybe they communicate in the beneficiaries language.

K-1 Application

================

2nd October 2007 - I-129F sent to CSC

10th October 2007 - NOA1 issued

31st January 2008 - NOA2 issued

22nd May 2008 - Interview date

18th July 2008 - US here I come

22nd August 2008 - Wedding date

AOS

================

15th September 2008 - AOS Pack (I485, I131, I765) Sent

22nd September 2008 - NOA1 x 3 Received

6th October 2008 - Transferred to CSC

17th October 2008 - Biometrics

5th December 2008 - EAD & AP approved

20th February 2008 - GC approved

I-751

================

1st December 2010 - I-751 Sent (CSC)

3rd December 2010 - I-751 Received

7th December 2010 - Cheque cashed

3rd January 2011 - Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
_You_ are the one insinuating fraudulent activity. _I_ asked an entirely different question than the one you were answering.

Show me where I mentioned fraud. I dare ya. I discussed the conditions for a visa, this is VisaJourney after all. You asked how do people fall in love. I answered that (a) not all do (b ) people can fall in love in different ways than you might be able to do.

How am _I_ judgmental?

:unsure:

how in the HELL does one fall in love

You tell me. "How in the HELL" sounds judgmental to me.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I was working on a fishing boat in C.R when I met my wife 6 years ago. Since I was hired on the boat and we were traveling all around latin america with the bosses motor yacht I felt I needed to learn Spanish as I was spending much of my time in that part of the world. Besides, it would be good for my career since the best fishing spots in the world are in latin american country's. Since 2000 I have spent almost 70 month's in that part of the world. My belief has always been to learn the language of the country your in----at least try. Do I speak perfect, heck no.

Of course since I was first in her part of the world and picked up some spanish, when she has VISITED here we tend to have spoken spanish. It is nice to be able to communicate. This past winter, when I was staying in C.R. with her I started talking in simple conversation with her in english and continue to do so on our telephone conversations. If it's something important or complicated I'll switch to spanish.

Of course now that she's comming here to LIVE she will take English classes so she can work and have more enjoyment. Besides classes will teach her the proper grammer---unlikie my tarzan speak spanish.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Some folks enter classes to polish up their skills. It's one thing to speak English to someone you know and who is understanding of some deficiencies and another thing to speak conversational or professional English to strangers.

I wouldn't be so quick to make the assumption that there is no relationship when that is the first thing the beneficiary plans to do.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
Some folks enter classes to polish up their skills. It's one thing to speak English to someone you know and who is understanding of some deficiencies and another thing to speak conversational or professional English to strangers.

I wouldn't be so quick to make the assumption that there is no relationship when that is the first thing the beneficiary plans to do.

I didn't MAKE that assumption. So far only wayno has grasped the scope of my question.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

ESL as taught in foreign countries is not the same as english taught in America. the version taught in china is so different, that it's called "chinglish" (factoid: there are more english teachers in china than all the rest of the world combined, and less than 1% actually speak the language fluently and correctly). many people who claim to be able to speak english are nearly unintelligeable. also, it is common for people to be able to speak effectively, but to be unable to write well and to have trouble reading.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

I didn't MAKE that assumption. So far only wayno has grasped the scope of my question.

lol..yeah, cause your questions are so deep, nOOB

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

In my case I can speak some Korean and my husband speaks Intermediate Advanced English. He can communicate with anyone. But he still insists on going to ESL classes when he gets here and trying to learn slang~

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : South Korea

2009-03-13 : Married~

2009-04-20 : I-130 Sent

2009-04-28 : I-130 NOA1

2009-05-20 : I-130 Approved! (Your I-130 was approved 22 days from NOA1 date.)

2009-05-27 : NVC Received and assigned case #.

2009-06-05 : NVC Left

2009-06-29: Medical (passed)

2009-07-07 : Interview Date

2009-07-10 : Visa Received

2009-07-30: US Entry

2009-08-13: Green card shipped

2009-09-01: Applied for SSN

2009-09-27: SSN Received

2009-12-12- Driver's Lic. Issued

2010-01-06- Hubby signed 3 year contract w/ military

Next Step: Coping with being alone for 5 months~

kiss.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.