justashooter

a picture is worth a thousand words

250 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
I see what Shooter is saying. Basing ideology on race and ethnic origin is, in of itself, racist. The basic idea behind the civil rights movement was that black and whites could be equal. At the time, blacks were segregated based upon their race.

How equal is today's society when we differentiate based on what was initially meant to be erased? I realize some might say "you're racist," but I'm not. In fact, I'm the opposite. I believe in equality for everyone and that has no bearing on someone's race, ethnic origin or religion. Therefore, I don't believe anyone should be treated differently based upon factors in which they had no say.

To simply say "comparing a black man with a monkey" is racist is glaringly ignorant. It's racist to base an insult on race alone.

It's glaringly ignorant when you consider..... and you must consider.... the connotations behind that comment. The words in and of themselves are of no consequence unless there is specific intent behind that message.

iagree.gif

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I see what Shooter is saying. Basing ideology on race and ethnic origin is, in of itself, racist. The basic idea behind the civil rights movement was that black and whites could be equal. At the time, blacks were segregated based upon their race.

How equal is today's society when we differentiate based on what was initially meant to be erased? I realize some might say "you're racist," but I'm not. In fact, I'm the opposite. I believe in equality for everyone and that has no bearing on someone's race, ethnic origin or religion. Therefore, I don't believe anyone should be treated differently based upon factors in which they had no say.

To simply say "comparing a black man with a monkey" is racist is glaringly ignorant. It's racist to base an insult on race alone.

rolleyes.jpg

I thought racism was obvious to people. I thought wrong. If you think it's not racist to refer to a black person as a monkey, or a character from a planet of the apes movie, then your lack of understanding of racism is beyond me.

You're right -- I don't understand racism, simply because it's one-sided and fails to take into account anyone outside of a certain group. By claiming racism in such a manner, you have actually perpetrated racism yourself.

Instead of using racism, perhaps we should use egalitarianism. That means equal rights for everyone, regardless of their race, ethnicity and religion.

My point is that some comments, words, phrases are blatantly racist. There are ones for each and every group of people. Using one is offensive. Claiming that it's a double standard of calling one person out on racism is either a misnomer or a red herring, take your pick.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

As I said - the connotations behind that depictions are not only established in our society, but entrenched. We're all aware of it - that being the case why would someone who cannot reasonably claim ignorance use the image when the implications of doing so clearly point to a racial motive?

Again - it doesn't matter if you perceive double standards or inequality in meaning between applying the image to a white person as opposed to a black. The established meaning exists and the intepretation will always deviate to the social consensus.

If "the shooter" isn't racist - why does he use racist imagery?

Timeline

rolleyes.jpg

I thought racism was obvious to people. I thought wrong. If you think it's not racist to refer to a black person as a monkey, or a character from a planet of the apes movie, then your lack of understanding of racism is beyond me.

You're right -- I don't understand racism, simply because it's one-sided and fails to take into account anyone outside of a certain group. By claiming racism in such a manner, you have actually perpetrated racism yourself.

Instead of using racism, perhaps we should use egalitarianism. That means equal rights for everyone, regardless of their race, ethnicity and religion.

My point is that some comments, words, phrases are blatantly racist. There are ones for each and every group of people. Using one is offensive. Claiming that it's a double standard of calling one person out on racism is either a misnomer or a red herring, take your pick.

It's not a "red herring" by any means. Using racism as a fallback whenever something potentially inflammatory is said is a failure in our society. We care far too much about each group and in doing so, continue to segregate ourselves.

I'm sure Dr. King would be proud to see his work completely twisted and misused by others. Good job.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

rolleyes.jpg

It's not a "red herring" by any means. Using racism as a fallback whenever something potentially inflammatory is said is a failure in our society. We care far too much about each group and in doing so, continue to segregate ourselves.

I'm sure Dr. King would be proud to see his work completely twisted and misused by others. Good job.

Again. The meaning of that specific image in relation to blacks has an undeniable racial connotation.

You and shooter can rail against that all you like, but it exists nonetheless. And if you go out of your way to deliberately use that image - you can't really claim surprise when people react to it as racist.

Timeline

rolleyes.jpg

Oh dear god. It is blatant racism to refer to a black person as a monkey. Plain and simple. To try to turn around and blame the person calling them out on their racism is a red herring. Whether you choose to accept it or not is your own issue.

Timeline

rolleyes.jpg

Again. The meaning of that specific image in relation to blacks has an undeniable racial connotation.

You and shooter can rail against that all you like, but it exists nonetheless. And if you go out of your way to deliberately use that image - you can't really claim surprise when people react to it as racist.

Only because society, as a whole, views it as such and fails to consider anything beyond the typical knee-jerk reaction that often ensues. If we actually gave some thought to the issue, we'd realize that accepting racism is a failure on our part.

Why should any black man or woman care what someone else says? So someone compared them to a monkey or ape. Big deal. It's their opinion and their right to think/say such. If someone wishes to call me a "kike" should I get mad? Why bother? Why does someone else's opinion matter to me? In short, it doesn't, so I don't care what someone says about Jews.

Words and comparisons such as these don't hurt anyone unless they choose to let it do so. By accepting racism, those who cry racism are saying that there's something inferior about their group and that they need defending. I'd call that racism of the highest order.

If you have a sense of self-esteem, then ignore whatever was said. Getting angry and upset over trivial matters isn't worth the time and effort. Even worse, it shows that such words can hurt you, thereby encouraging others. So let's do everyone a favor and eliminate the idea of racism. It only hurts those it's intended to protect.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline
The words in and of themselves are of no consequence unless there is specific intent behind that message.

this statement assumes omniscience.

how on earth would you know the intent of my words?

you can only overlay your understanding of what they would mean if you spoke them.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
It's come to a pretty pass when people outright defend the use of racist stereotypes as white guilt.

yeah, life was so much simpler when gwb was in office.......

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!