Kajikit

U.S. Officials Defend Ploys to Catch Immigrants

29 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I don't mind them doing this at all. When my fiance gets here he will have nothing to fear because we have gone about this in the right way.

Don't be so certain of this. My wife was scared she would be deported last year. The crime? Leaving the house without her passport (to go to the beach, I believe). Would you take your passport to the beach? Me either. The police called INS, took quite a while before INS decided to let her go. They could have detained her to check on her papers - we all know how FBI name checks go (months).

Last year I was stopped almost EVERY DAY driving to work at a CBP roadblock (more than 200 miles from the border). They looked in the car, told me to open my trunk a few times. I didn't see how this was even legal (but I guess they have been doing it for years in New York State).

I hate to be paranoid, but I honestly believe that any legislation that deals with illegal aliens will end up causing problems for legal immigrants as well.

The reality is - there is no way prevent illegal aliens from being in the US without creating a police state. How much would it cost to remove at least 10 million people? Who would replace them at their jobs? As long as they are in the US, they are still protected by some form of due process. We don't have that many judges and courts.

There is no easy, or even good solution to the problem. (I think there are bigger problems in the US than terrorism or immigration though. They just aren't as popular to discus on TV at the moment.)

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline
I don't mind them doing this at all. When my fiance gets here he will have nothing to fear because we have gone about this in the right way.

Don't be so certain of this. My wife was scared she would be deported last year. The crime? Leaving the house without her passport (to go to the beach, I believe). Would you take your passport to the beach? Me either. The police called INS, took quite a while before INS decided to let her go. They could have detained her to check on her papers - we all know how FBI name checks go (months).

Last year I was stopped almost EVERY DAY driving to work at a CBP roadblock (more than 200 miles from the border). They looked in the car, told me to open my trunk a few times. I didn't see how this was even legal (but I guess they have been doing it for years in New York State).

I hate to be paranoid, but I honestly believe that any legislation that deals with illegal aliens will end up causing problems for legal immigrants as well.

The reality is - there is no way prevent illegal aliens from being in the US without creating a police state. How much would it cost to remove at least 10 million people? Who would replace them at their jobs? As long as they are in the US, they are still protected by some form of due process. We don't have that many judges and courts.

There is no easy, or even good solution to the problem. (I think there are bigger problems in the US than terrorism or immigration though. They just aren't as popular to discus on TV at the moment.)

If you live near the border...there will always be border issues. We are talking about sovereign countries and their sovereign rights to control their borders. It is no different than what goes on when you are travelling internationally through international airports. POE's will always be more restrictive than the interior of the USA and that includes layers of checkpoints in areas known for human smuggling and other international criminal activity.

My Belarusian friend and his Kazahk girlfriend were driving from the beach at South Padre Island near Corpus Christi, TX and they ran into an ICE/US Border Patrol checkpoint miles from the border. My friend had his Green Card, but his girlfriend did not have her student visa documents or passport. She was likewise detained until her legal status could be confirmed. She was eventually realeased and learned a valuable lesson from her experience.

I do not consider these and other similar incidents to be analogous to a "police state".

A vast majority of Americans do not want "open borders" or masses of illegal aliens invading our country. It can be done with a minimum of inconvenience, but will not be without at least some obtrusiveness. Life isn't totally painless.

Handing out another amnesty to millions of illegal aliens is just plain giving up. Allowing another 11-20 million illegal aliens to gain legal residency and citizenship after the 1986 amnesty and subsequent mini-amnesties thereafter is nothing short of surrender. The key is to rigidly regulate and enforce employment and immigration laws. For illegal aliens the draw is risk vs reward. As a nation we need to ensure that the risk far outweighs any reward. Amnesty is a classic reward. The illegal alien is rewarded for illegally immigrating. No wonder it has proven to be a huge magnet for more of the same.

We do not have to physically remove all 11-20 million illegal aliens. They came from somewhere and they can return to somewhere after the party is over. Millions of people visit the USA from all over the world and return home every year. This is called tourism. Let's put this into perspective.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Timeline
We do not have to physically remove all 11-20 million illegal aliens. They came from somewhere and they can return to somewhere after the party is over. Millions of people visit the USA from all over the world and return home every year. This is called tourism. Let's put this into perspective.
Weak dollar doesn't bring avalanche of foreign visitors

By Barbara De Lollis, USA TODAY

....The 43.8 million foreign visitors to the USA last year represented an 8.4% annual increase. The travel association expects growth in 2005 and 2006.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/biztravel/20...sits-usat_x.htm

If 43.8 million+ foreign visitors to the USA can come and go logistically every year, why does it seem so impossible a task to refuse these illegal aliens amnesty and require them to eventually go home? If they cannot easily live, work, thrive, and survive openly in the USA...they will go home...just like the 43.8 million+ foreign tourists. There is no need to repeat the blunder of the 1986 amnesty of illegal aliens and the proven failure of that huge mistake. Let's get it right in 2006. Amnesty is not the only choice. Amnesty is nothing less than a total surrender and there are quite a lot of us Americans DO NOT believe in surrender.

I'm tired of hearing the propoganda that we should just cave in and accept illegal immigration because nay sayers would have us believe that it cannot be stopped. The fact is that you get what you tolerate. You keep doing what you always did and you will get what you always got.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

Sorry, I can't come to the phone right now.

After the beep, please clearly state your name and the bad news.

(I will return your call)

:goofy:

Hey, what's up Deejay? Long time no hear. You're not a the beach today?! :devil:

Sometimes I think I know everything, and I regain consciousness. Seen it all, done it all, forgot most of it....

So much plenitude, yet so much emptiness

everest-summit.jpg

The Journey, Part I: I-129F (K-3)

I 129F sent to Chicago 11/14/05

NOA1 12/14/05, received by snail mail 12/23/05

NOA2 01/17/06, received by snail mail 01/20/05

Received Packet "3" 02/17/06

Medicals done in Nairobi 03/22/06

VISA APPROVED in Nairobi 03/30/06

Husband arrives ni USA!

The Journey, Part II: EAD and AOS

EAD mailed to Chicago 05/17/06

horserun.gif

Timeline
Sorry, I can't come to the phone right now.

After the beep, please clearly state your name and the bad news.

(I will return your call)

:goofy:

Hey, what's up Deejay? Long time no hear. You're not a the beach today?! :devil:

Quite the opposite sweetie. I'm 35 miles from the beach...35 miles from the beach and out on the salty sea at my work on a petroleum production platform on the Gulf of Mexico. After spending 11 years of my life actually living and working out on the ocean, I never can understand why people love to go on ocean cruises. I can't wait for my shift to end and go home to dry land. Did you ever have to pull a 16-18 hour shift in mid January outside in 40*F temps and 35 mph damp humid rainy winds? It will make a man out of you! ;)

Filed: Timeline

Did you ever have to pull a 16-18 hour shift in mid January outside in 40*F temps and 35 mph damp humid rainy winds?

PJ,

Knowing her, she will probably look down on you for that.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

But even that is not why they do not want to learn English. It is because there is an organized effort on their part to make Spanish the dominant language not only in the USA, but worldwide. I've spoken to them about this.

That's a new one. Spanish rules the world. :devil:

I'll be chuckling for days about this.... #######. :lol:

Did you ever have to pull a 16-18 hour shift in mid January outside in 40*F temps and 35 mph damp humid rainy winds?

PJ,

Piece of cake! LOL.

But wait. How does PJ find time to post on VJ between his 16-18 hours' shifts?? :huh: : Pfff... L-I-A-R! :angry:

Hello PJ? Hellooooo...

Bloody hell its gone a bit quiet in here. A quiet blog is like a dead pub. Why would we want that?

Talking about beaches. A few hours of sunshine here in New York... B)

I hear you can get a real nice tan on in the Gulf of Mexico? But that would makes me look like someone of middle eastern appearance or worse, an illegal immigrant who was just let under the wire!

Heeeelllllloooooo

Sometimes I think I know everything, and I regain consciousness. Seen it all, done it all, forgot most of it....

everest-summit.jpg

Husband arrives ni USA!

horserun.gif

Timeline

PJ,

Piece of cake! LOL.

But wait. How does PJ find time to post on VJ between his 16-18 hours' shifts?? :huh: : Pfff... L-I-A-R! :angry:

Hello PJ? Hellooooo...

Bloody hell its gone a bit quiet in here. A quiet blog is like a dead pub. Why would we want that?

Talking about beaches. A few hours of sunshine here in New York... B)

I hear you can get a real nice tan on in the Gulf of Mexico? But that would makes me look like someone of middle eastern appearance or worse, an illegal immigrant who was just let under the wire!

Heeeelllllloooooo

Доброе утро!

Sorry...I was asleep last night, but I'm awake now.

I'm beginning to believe that you don't love me. Liar? It is true I have an easy assignment this week. At my age I take the easy road when it is available, but I have pulled my share of nightmare in hell shifts. If you learn anything about working as a grunt in the GoM oilfields...when the cash register quits ringing the big boys don't care what it takes to get the product flowing past the sales meters. I've done my fair share of 36 hours without sleep, eating on the run marathons to get it done. Of course it was all at time-and-a-half hourly overtime rate.

Sun tan? The summer on the GoM it is more of a roasting. The heat and humidity is stifling when the wind dies. Yes... I get chocolate brown in the summer, but I inherited my mom's Slavic features and have blue eyes. I have been waived through US Border Patrol checkpoints in south and west Texas many times without being mistaken for a Mexican national.

До свидания!

Heloooo Deejay,

No, I don’t hate you. I just like picking on you. Glad you had a good night sleep. Like the French would rather say “sleeping is eating” (“qui dort dine") Sleep really helps when you walk across the desert on an empty stomach :content: .... Imagine what I went through to get on here!! I even managed to break into the security compound through the electric fence. Am I in? Dammit. If they let me under the wire, they’ll let anyone in! :lol:

Helloooo Eugene Smith,

A good flame war? WHERE??? Fantastic!! I'm getting bored. We need more people slagging each other off. Any chance of a blog on the real issues of the day and not swans, elephants and vitamin supplements? Just a thought. :devil:

everest-summit.jpg

Husband arrives ni USA!

horserun.gif

Any chance of a blog on the real issues of the day...

The real issue of the day is sex with robots and a diet involving fresh placenta.

You're a riot!!! Have you tried having sex with an helmet? :rolleyes:

(in the off topic section, I see Deejay is posting on the illegal Chinese immigrants....)

I'm off to walk the dog. I'll see ya later B)

everest-summit.jpg

Husband arrives ni USA!

horserun.gif

Timeline
(Satisfaction @ Apr 18 2006, 12:34 PM)

I'm off to walk the dog. I'll see ya later.

Not if I see you first! Ha! Ha!

And I thought I had an easy life!

Glad to know I'm not hated. Hey, I can take a joke...better picked on than picked off.

Here's some nuggets of wisdom...don't go trippin' in the boonies without adequate food, water, or the means to get your next ration. The life you save may be your own. ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.