ya hayat alby ♥

Visa from Egypt... confused?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello all :]

I was wondering about the DCF in Egypt. I married on February 14, and I'm staying here in Egypt until August 31st. I thought since I'm staying this long, I could just go ahead and apply for the DCF, since I heard it is much easier to obtain than the others.

There is a 6 month residency requirement. I've been here since Feb 2nd. The problem is, I only got my residency stamp in May because the lady at the passport office was really hostile and took forever to issue it. Now I'm worried because if the embassy goes by the stamp strictly, it would only show my residency as 4 months, and waste the other 2 I've been here. How does the embassy measure residency? Is it by the day you were married, or by the stamp?

Also, we'll apply in late August. Unfortunately I have to return on September 2nd, so I won't be here for his interview if all goes smoothly. I'm scared that will be a problem or look shady because I left, but I really have to return to my university by then. And he is just graduating this semester so he will await his status in the army... if he gets picked he will be here at least a year. He should know in August I think... what I'm worried about is if he gets the visa, isn't there an expiry? If he gets it before he sends his Packet 3, can he wait until he finishes his army and just send it in then, or will it be too long of a wait period and it will all cancel?

So confusing... and it seems the people at the embassy know nothing! Its frustrating to travel to Cairo (I'm in Alex) to get NOTHING. And the embassy only comes to Alex once a month and equally just tell me, "we don't know."

A little background info: I'm 20 and he is 22. We are both Muslim. We met through a mutual friend about a year and a half ago. When I came to Egypt last summer we met and decided we fit each other and got engaged. I came back in February and we married. We obviously never married before and have no kids. :] We had a party at the masjid when I came here w/ his family and friends but don't really have any pictures of it because his aunt 'forgot' the camera. :blink: Just some shots of us both at home, in our fancy clothing and so with his family.

Sorry if the questions are stupid in some way! I appreciate your help, the community here is really great masha'Allah. :]

ahlawy.jpg

l9v9m4.png

807bc02469.gif

"The believers, in their love, mutual kindness, and close ties, are like one body; when any part complains, the whole body responds to it with wakefulness and fever." [Muslim]

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." Henry David Thoreau

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

When you arrived (this trip) you had your passport stamped with a visitor's visa, right? That shows when you entered the country. You cannot have a residency stamp without being married to an Egyptian. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

What you do need to worry about is the military issue. Olivia is the resident expert in that department - she and her husband have been through it. She's in Egypt now, actually. Maybe you two could PM mobile numbers?

Timeline

I got a tourist visa before my flight in the US for 2 months and entered w/ that on Feb 2nd. Then I married on Feb 14. Some were saying they go from the marriage contract date, some from the stamp, some from the date of entry... that's why I'm worried.

I just added her on FB yesterday. I'll have a talk with her. :]

ahlawy.jpg

l9v9m4.png

807bc02469.gif

"The believers, in their love, mutual kindness, and close ties, are like one body; when any part complains, the whole body responds to it with wakefulness and fever." [Muslim]

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." Henry David Thoreau

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I got a tourist visa before my flight in the US for 2 months and entered w/ that on Feb 2nd. Then I married on Feb 14. Some were saying they go from the marriage contract date, some from the stamp, some from the date of entry... that's why I'm worried.

I just added her on FB yesterday. I'll have a talk with her. :]

You could go back and hope for someone less crabby and tell them to fix it to show the proper dates.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi,

To answer your residency question. We were told by many sources and found that your residency starts from the time you enter the country as long as you dont leave. You have to be in Egypt without leaving for 6 months.

Also, I'm afraid you cant wait to send the packet. I read that it expires after about a year. So waiting that long would make it useless :(

My husband and I are going through the military stuff atm. When he goes there they will ask if he is married to a foreigner. Ofcourse he will say yes, but I'm afraid if you leave, they will assume that he married you to get out of the military :( They are real sticklers like that. They assume if youre not there then its not a real marriage. So he will probably have to wait about 4-6 months for an investigation, then spend about 14 months or so in the military :(( So by the time all that is over all the the things you accomplished will be expired already. I know it sounds crazy, but trust me about this. The military stuff has been driving me nuts. I have been here over 11 months, and we have been trying for his military papers for over 6 months. He has been approved to get out, but we are still waiting on some guy to sign the paper, which could take another couple months. Its all so exhausting. Dont mean to be the bringer of bad news :( but just warning you from my experiences. The only reason they believed about our marriage is because i was here for 5 months before he even applied for it, and im still here. They investigate all of that really well.

What i would suggest is either waiting with him until he gets out of the military. Or if you MUST go back, wait until he finishes his year of service to try for the visa :(

If he needs more information, PM me and give us his number and my husband will call him and try to explain everything so he can understand it. Just so you know you have someone going through the same thing with you :)

Good Luck

I was wondering about the DCF in Egypt. I married on February 14, and I'm staying here in Egypt until August 31st. I thought since I'm staying this long, I could just go ahead and apply for the DCF, since I heard it is much easier to obtain than the others.

There is a 6 month residency requirement. I've been here since Feb 2nd. The problem is, I only got my residency stamp in May because the lady at the passport office was really hostile and took forever to issue it. Now I'm worried because if the embassy goes by the stamp strictly, it would only show my residency as 4 months, and waste the other 2 I've been here. How does the embassy measure residency? Is it by the day you were married, or by the stamp?

Also, we'll apply in late August. Unfortunately I have to return on September 2nd, so I won't be here for his interview if all goes smoothly. I'm scared that will be a problem or look shady because I left, but I really have to return to my university by then. And he is just graduating this semester so he will await his status in the army... if he gets picked he will be here at least a year. He should know in August I think... what I'm worried about is if he gets the visa, isn't there an expiry? If he gets it before he sends his Packet 3, can he wait until he finishes his army and just send it in then, or will it be too long of a wait period and it will all cancel?

So confusing... and it seems the people at the embassy know nothing! Its frustrating to travel to Cairo (I'm in Alex) to get NOTHING. And the embassy only comes to Alex once a month and equally just tell me, "we don't know."

A little background info: I'm 20 and he is 22. We are both Muslim. We met through a mutual friend about a year and a half ago. When I came to Egypt last summer we met and decided we fit each other and got engaged. I came back in February and we married. We obviously never married before and have no kids. :] We had a party at the masjid when I came here w/ his family and friends but don't really have any pictures of it because his aunt 'forgot' the camera. :blink: Just some shots of us both at home, in our fancy clothing and so with his family.

Sorry if the questions are stupid in some way! I appreciate your help, the community here is really great masha'Allah. :]

Consulate : Egypt

Visit Egypt : 2008-06-25

Marriage : 2008-10-13

I-130 Sent : 2009-07-15

Approved : 2009-07-15 Alhamdulilah

Packet 3 Received : 2009-07-21

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-08-04

Packet 4 Received : 2009-08-15

Interview Date : 2009-08-24 APPROVED with no AP

Visa Received : 2009-08-28

Entry into the USA : 2009-10-05 Insha Allah

Timeline

Hi,

To answer your residency question. We were told by many sources and found that your residency starts from the time you enter the country as long as you dont leave. You have to be in Egypt without leaving for 6 months.

Also, I'm afraid you cant wait to send the packet. I read that it expires after about a year. So waiting that long would make it useless :(

My husband and I are going through the military stuff atm. When he goes there they will ask if he is married to a foreigner. Ofcourse he will say yes, but I'm afraid if you leave, they will assume that he married you to get out of the military :( They are real sticklers like that. They assume if youre not there then its not a real marriage. So he will probably have to wait about 4-6 months for an investigation, then spend about 14 months or so in the military :(( So by the time all that is over all the the things you accomplished will be expired already. I know it sounds crazy, but trust me about this. The military stuff has been driving me nuts. I have been here over 11 months, and we have been trying for his military papers for over 6 months. He has been approved to get out, but we are still waiting on some guy to sign the paper, which could take another couple months. Its all so exhausting. Dont mean to be the bringer of bad news :( but just warning you from my experiences. The only reason they believed about our marriage is because i was here for 5 months before he even applied for it, and im still here. They investigate all of that really well.

What i would suggest is either waiting with him until he gets out of the military. Or if you MUST go back, wait until he finishes his year of service to try for the visa :(

If he needs more information, PM me and give us his number and my husband will call him and try to explain everything so he can understand it. Just so you know you have someone going through the same thing with you :)

Good Luck

Timeline

Hi,

Good Luck

Hi,

Good Luck

Hi,

Good Luck

Timeline

That would be great if they measure that way. I would be applying around Aug 3rd if that is the case. And he will stand for the army in August to see his results, I guess? I wouldn't have left by then... he should have his decision about his status before I leave. So if I'm still there, would they just exempt him? But I heard that nowadays they aren't applying the married to a foreigner rule... :wacko:

I'll PM you now. :]

ahlawy.jpg

l9v9m4.png

807bc02469.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I thought to apply for DCF you have to actually live there together - not just meet the 6 months and leave...you may just want to file for the other visa since you don't plan to live there any longer.....

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline
I thought to apply for DCF you have to actually live there together - not just meet the 6 months and leave...you may just want to file for the other visa since you don't plan to live there any longer.....

We do live together here...? I just thought if we can get the visa faster because I was living here, that would obviously be the better option... :blush:

ahlawy.jpg

l9v9m4.png

807bc02469.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yes but you said you were leaving Egypt shortly after the 6 months. My understanding is that to file DCF you have to live there while the visa is processing. Even once you apply I would expect it to take at another 6-12 months.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.