lgg

Changing name after CR-1 Complete...

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know we went for a different visa, but I completed the original petition for the K-1 with a different passport then I ended up using for the interview. In the packet 3 it said your passport must be valid for at least a year on the day you go to the interview, so I had to renew. Just in case, I requested my old passport to be returned to me from passport Canada, but the issue never came up! If you're worried about it just check the box that you want your old passport back when you're filling out the new application. This way, if they question you about the number discrepancy you can simply explain why you had to get a new passport and you can show the old one with the old passport number if they want verification.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
don't congratulate me yet as we're far from completing our visa journey. So, I'm wondering... since we had to wait eons for our marriage certificate and such, I had to choose between starting our Visa process or changing my name so, I chose Visa process of course... but, now that we're in motion, I realize that I can't change my name whilst we're being adjudicated and such that's fine but let's say after we've been approved and receive our visa how would I go about changing my maiden name to my married name?

I would very much like to do this. I would have liked to right after getting married but here in Ontario, we had to wait for about 9 weeks before we got our marriage cert (which you need to change your name, FYI) so, I opted to send our Visa papers instead.

I've been doing some research (trying to) find info on this but can't... anyone else do this? How would I go about it...

Thanks a lot,

LGG

Not sure if this will help or not, but here in the US, you can go to the website MsNowMrs.com and if you sign up for their service, you can download the forms (as many as you need) and send them in. They have forms for changing SSN cards, bank accounts, etc.

Good luck!

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.