22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I suppose there are a few reasons why it might be better for some people to hire a lawyer.

The first, and most obvious, is if you're just not particularly bright. :whistle:

It's become clear to me that you have to dedicate some serious time into educating yourself about this process, as well as the idiosyncrasies of the consulate in your SO's country, if you expect to be reasonably successful at doing this yourself. Yes, the guides are big help in assembling the paperwork, but if your SO is from a high fraud country and you use the guides alone, you'll probably be denied. The guides don't tell you about specific things the consulate in your SO's country might expect, such as customs and traditions they expect you to fulfill. You have to spend a lot of time in the regional forums for that, and learn from the experience of others. If you don't have the time to invest in becoming a semi-expert in the K visa process for your SO's country, then you need a lawyer who already has that knowledge. Even so, the lawyer or his staff are not going to spend as much time as you could (and should) on your case.

On the other hand, a lawyer who is an expert in K visas in your SO's country will have the benefit of experience with dozens or hundreds of cases. Very few people on this forum have done this process more than one or two times. They can tell you what worked or didn't work for them, but if your case isn't identical to theirs then their advice isn't complete. You have to read as many different threads as you can in the regional forums to put together the bits and pieces of advice that apply to you. If you hang around here long enough, and read enough threads, you'll probably become a semi expert in MANY countries!

I decided I would do it myself, but with the assistance of a lawyer. I've hired a lawyer who lives primarily in my fiancee's country, and has handled hundreds of cases there. I'm doing all of the paperwork, but I'm letting my lawyer review my work for omissions and errors. I spent a month preparing my I-129F package, and my lawyer still found two things I neglected to properly address. He knew these things would eventually need to be addressed at the consulate stage, and felt that addressing them in my initial petition would take some ammunition away from the CO. My lawyer's staff in my fiancee's country will also help prepare my fiancee for the interview. In the event we're denied, my lawyer will be able to step in quickly and try to stop the file from being sent back to USCIS.

Basically, I'm doing the driving, and using the lawyer as an insurance policy.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Bottom line, the lawyer turns it all over to a paralegal or clerical employee to fill in the blanks after you fill out a questionnaire. You don't really get a lawyer's attention nor even a lawyer's review of the paperwork before it is sent along. Unless of course you have some unusual legal situation.

Thats not at all true "You don't really get a lawyer's attention nor even a lawyer's review of the paperwork before it is sent along".

Edited by sjr09

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

I suppose there are a few reasons why it might be better for some people to hire a lawyer.

The first, and most obvious, is if you're just not particularly bright. :whistle:

It's become clear to me that you have to dedicate some serious time into educating yourself about this process, as well as the idiosyncrasies of the consulate in your SO's country, if you expect to be reasonably successful at doing this yourself. Yes, the guides are big help in assembling the paperwork, but if your SO is from a high fraud country and you use the guides alone, you'll probably be denied. The guides don't tell you about specific things the consulate in your SO's country might expect, such as customs and traditions they expect you to fulfill. You have to spend a lot of time in the regional forums for that, and learn from the experience of others. If you don't have the time to invest in becoming a semi-expert in the K visa process for your SO's country, then you need a lawyer who already has that knowledge. Even so, the lawyer or his staff are not going to spend as much time as you could (and should) on your case.

On the other hand, a lawyer who is an expert in K visas in your SO's country will have the benefit of experience with dozens or hundreds of cases. Very few people on this forum have done this process more than one or two times. They can tell you what worked or didn't work for them, but if your case isn't identical to theirs then their advice isn't complete. You have to read as many different threads as you can in the regional forums to put together the bits and pieces of advice that apply to you. If you hang around here long enough, and read enough threads, you'll probably become a semi expert in MANY countries!

I decided I would do it myself, but with the assistance of a lawyer. I've hired a lawyer who lives primarily in my fiancee's country, and has handled hundreds of cases there. I'm doing all of the paperwork, but I'm letting my lawyer review my work for omissions and errors. I spent a month preparing my I-129F package, and my lawyer still found two things I neglected to properly address. He knew these things would eventually need to be addressed at the consulate stage, and felt that addressing them in my initial petition would take some ammunition away from the CO. My lawyer's staff in my fiancee's country will also help prepare my fiancee for the interview. In the event we're denied, my lawyer will be able to step in quickly and try to stop the file from being sent back to USCIS.

Basically, I'm doing the driving, and using the lawyer as an insurance policy.

Smart Man!

Bottom line, the lawyer turns it all over to a paralegal or clerical employee to fill in the blanks after you fill out a questionnaire. You don't really get a lawyer's attention nor even a lawyer's review of the paperwork before it is sent along. Unless of course you have some unusual legal situation.

Thats not at all true "You don't really get a lawyer's attention nor even a lawyer's review of the paperwork before it is sent along".

Your Contradicting your own post!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
Hi everyone...well im just new in this site...and wow im so impress!

Well heres my question and im so confussed at the moment...I hope somebody could give me advice on this...

In processing K1, doing it with a lawyer is better or just doing it by urself....

well hope to hear from u guys...thanx,i would gladly appreciate it!

I strongly and seriously recommedn you to DO IT YOURSELF...NO attorney PLEASE... read my story!

I'm counting the seconds...

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : United Arab Emirates

I-129F Sent : 2009-04-27

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-05-04

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-08-07

NVC Received : 2009-08-10

NVC Left : 2009-08-14

Consulate Received : 2009-08-17

Packet 3 & 4 Received : 2009-09-20

Interview Date : 2009-12-21

Rescheduled the date to: 2010-01-24

Interview Result :put on an AP

Visa Approved: 2010-02-11

Visa Received :2010-03-16

US Entry : 2010-03-18

Marriage : 2010-05-25

CHECK MY TIME LINE FOR REST OF INFO.

Do it yourself like all are recommending here.

Confusion say: "To err is human. To REALLY screw things up requires a lawyer." :wacko:

Yes U can!

Confusion say: stupid is what stupid is. Some really need the help of a good lawyer!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.