LofeandLive

DMV - Translation - Indiana

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello All,

I would like to know if someone is from Indiana and how did you solve this puzzle...Am Brazilian, have a driver license from Brazil and want to have a driver license from Indiana. Already have the SS and EAD.

The lady told me that I need to translate my driver license from Brazil. The problem is that someone from UofL or IU should do it. Called both universities but nobody there does that. Said that to DMV and they simply told me. "Please contact again the universities. Without the formal translation we can't not issue it. You will have to get a Learner's Permit...".

Did someone had the same issue? How did you handle it?

PS: Called Catholic Charities, Int'l Center, Int'l Affairs - no response.

I-129F

USCIS: California Service Center

Sent Envelop: 05/24

Arrived at USCIS: 05/27

NOA1: 05/28

Letter of NOA1: 06/02

NOA2: 08/22

Letter of NOA2: 08/29

NVC Letter: 09/02

Packet 3 Received:

Packet 3 Sent:

Interview: 11/25 (Approved!!!)

Can't you find someone else that does translations? perhaps do a check in the yellow pages?

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yes, I could. The problem is that according to DMV they only accept translations from the University of Louisville or Indiana University Southeast.

I was trying to get a translation from other institutions as I wrote before but the lady told me that it would be a waste of time and money. They would not accept.

I just wonder if someone here got a translation from Louisville or Indiana. Can you please share the name and number from the teacher?

I-129F

USCIS: California Service Center

Sent Envelop: 05/24

Arrived at USCIS: 05/27

NOA1: 05/28

Letter of NOA1: 06/02

NOA2: 08/22

Letter of NOA2: 08/29

NVC Letter: 09/02

Packet 3 Received:

Packet 3 Sent:

Interview: 11/25 (Approved!!!)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Yes, I could. The problem is that according to DMV they only accept translations from the University of Louisville or Indiana University Southeast.

I was trying to get a translation from other institutions as I wrote before but the lady told me that it would be a waste of time and money. They would not accept.

Unbelievable! :blink:

Sorry you have to go through this.

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Naturalization approved: 04-02-2013

Oath ceremony: 04-24-2013

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
"Please contact again the universities. Without the formal translation we can't not issue it. You will have to get a Learner's Permit...".

Sounds like bullcrap to me. The lady at my "DMV" (really the Dept. of Public Safety here in Texas) didn't even care if I had a license from another country (I do have a German one for mopeds, trucks up to 7.5 tons and passenger cars). She only asked whether I've ever held a license from any state or (Canadian) province, and if it ever was suspended. I never did, so I had to take the vision test, the written and the driving test, and that was it. No word of "learner's permit" ever came up. A full license was issued the same day. Learner's permit is thing for minors. Just go to another DMV, would be my suggestion.

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

Does Indiana have an agreement with Brazil to reciprocate licenses? If not, I don't know why they would need a translation. Unless you can verify it being worth the hassle, just forget it and apply for the learner's permit.

"Please contact again the universities. Without the formal translation we can't not issue it. You will have to get a Learner's Permit...".

Sounds like bullcrap to me. The lady at my "DMV" (really the Dept. of Public Safety here in Texas) didn't even care if I had a license from another country (I do have a German one for mopeds, trucks up to 7.5 tons and passenger cars). She only asked whether I've ever held a license from any state or (Canadian) province, and if it ever was suspended. I never did, so I had to take the vision test, the written and the driving test, and that was it. No word of "learner's permit" ever came up. A full license was issued the same day. Learner's permit is thing for minors. Just go to another DMV, would be my suggestion.

Learner permit was given to me as they would not accept a Bosnian driver's license and 5-yr driving history. Had to have it for a minimum of a month to a year before taking the road test and getting the real DL. Just the way it is in IN. No going around it. I was lucky they took my military dependant card and I-551 stamp and did not have to send my documents down to Indianapolis for unknown amount of time - instead they gave me a ful 4-yr card.

Edited by milimelo

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.