MapleLeafBaby

Proud To Be Canadian...

121 posts in this topic

I printed out the SSN app, but I haven't filled it out yet, as I was not sure if I would apply the couple of weeks before we marry, or right after, and what name I would use.

But it may take a bit to get our cert, so i could file in my maiden name and then switch to my married name after I apply to get my condition removed to work.

I hope I have success like you all and I get it fast so I can get bank accounts etc...

I guess I can apply for my son's at the same time.

I don't have a choice. Need it for the license... :wacko: so it will be in my ..hmmm I'm not exactly in my "maiden" name...:lol:..um...current!! There..that will work. My current name...

I know it doesn't authorize to work. That's ok, I'll have income from EI, plus a survivor's benefit (widow's pension) and the sale of my house. I won't have to work for a while!

....so i'm leaving in 10 days....

I was driving around today and started thinking....this is it, in 10 days I am leaving the Country that made me! :crying: the place that I proudly called home for almost 35 years....

Funny enough, I never felt that way about Canada until now.

I mean, sure we get made fun of by many overly patriotic Americans, as though we are the ugly duckling sibling that no one plays with....

And so what, if we are wishy washy and don't start our own fights, but when we are beckoned we run lol....and our National animal may not have been our best choice, and may share the name of something else that comes to mind....but gosh golly BEAVERS ARE CUTE!.... and so what that most of us have to drive 46 hours to see coastal land, or that we have more wood than a wood chuck could chuck in a lifetime....WE MADE MAPLE SYRUP!...and the real kind too! our trees ooze with sweetness....

....and yes, our French may speak as though chewing on potatoes at the same time....but who's to say they are not the proper one's and the tongue spoken in France lacks 'potato'....and yes, Quebec may not have invented the French Fry.... but they sure as heck found some great artery clogging substances to drown those buggers in, and POUTINE WAS BORN!!!!

(can you hear our anthem now?)

And who cares if they think we all live in igloo's, and that our mail is delivered by dog sled...and that we harpoon our dinner daily, and that Yukon is not only the truck we drive, BUT THE PLACE WE LIVE!, we are PROUD TO BE CANADIAN!....regardless of the fact that our seasons are numbered 5 days spring, 6 days summer, 10 days fall and 344 days winter...do we complain?, NO! Instead, we pretend to be ok with it and create a sport called luge...which was probably discovered by some drunk fool exiting a Pub...slipped on his @** and slid home in 10.2 secs flat.....sorry got off track....oh, yes....

I love being Canadian! or at least I did....do I always say i'm Canadian? even 10 years from now? or is that bound to get us beat up by the other kids in the playground :lol:

Anyways, just thought i'd make a funny, of something that's actually got me a little teary eyed.... I was always a traveller and I have seen much of the world....from a young child, I knew that one day 'i'd blow this pop stand' (I honestly thought it would be for Europe quite honestly...) but now that the day has come... I feel a little sad :crying:

I feel a little less Canadian? or a trader? so weird.... Well, I do promise to keep up the 'Eh' cause my fiance thinks it's hilarious and it drives him bonkers.... It's not as if I won't be back, i'll actually visit frequently, every month (for visitation)...but that's the thing right there.... 'visit' :crying:

ok, i'm done...

ps. oh, one more thing.... 'Oh Canada...our home and native land....' (F)(L)(F)

B)

cute post! :star:

it is!! She could write news columns. Keep everyone laughing..

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I will admit that I will miss most stores in Canada....like the Superstore. BUT.... for those of you in PA .....we have SHEETZ!!!!!! SHEETZ is awesome!

2/7/13 mailed I130 x 2

2/14/13 checks cashed $420 x 2

4/3/13 RFE more divorce info requested and marriage certificate(which I had already sent)

4/9/13 mailed additional info

4/19/13 I130 approved

5/10/13 NVC received

5/16/13 Called NVC and got Case #s and Invoice ID #s

5/17/13 USCIS website states: Your case can not be found at this time in My Case Status. Please check your receipt number and try again.

5/24/13 Paid AOS ($88.00) fee online

5/30/13 Emailed I-864 package for both kids

6/3/13 paid IV bill $230 x 2 kids

6/5/13 IV bill shows paid, DS260 available

6/14/13 CHILDREN'S PASSPORTS ARRIVED!!!!

6/14/13 filed online DS-260 for both kids

6/16/13 emailed Supporting docs for DS-260 for both kids

7/9/13 CHECKLIST for both kids...sad.png

7/9/13 checklist response sent (birth certs and passport Bio Page <again>)

8/2/13 CHECKLIST both kids

8/3/13 checklist response sent (I-864 AGAIN and paystubs - sent last 6 paystubs)

8/28/13 ***** INTERVIEW SCHEDULED***** for 10/9/13

9/11/13 Medicals completed in Toronto @ Dr. Seiden's office

10/9/13 INTERVIEW APPROVED

10/25/13. SSN cards arrived

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I will admit that I will miss most stores in Canada....like the Superstore. BUT.... for those of you in PA .....we have SHEETZ!!!!!! SHEETZ is awesome!

Here's what I miss:

CanadianTire_Logocmyk.jpg

What a great store Crappy Tire is! You can get all the cool stuff there. Sporting goods, automotive, hardware, you name it.

Plus they give out Crappy Tire money :thumbs: Who else gives you paper nickels and dimes?

canadian-tire-money.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I miss Canadian Tire!! Sometimes when I'm here I say "we need to go to Canadian Tire" there is just no equivalent!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline
Awwww... you all sound like I did when I moved across the US -- from one corner to the other. Your nostalgia is contagious and I'm now thinking of the many ways I can make sure my fiance' doesn't miss his "original" home too much!!!

I wish I lived closer to you all, too. Even though I'm an American, getting to know all of you on here has been fantastic! Kinda honorary-ish... at least that is what my fiance's friends used to say about me. lol

Happy Memorial Day weekend -- and a belated Victoria Day/May 2-4!!! :)

I think I heard you say you plan to move back home to Arizona sometime in the future. If you do you will be close to me! Then we can have our own VJ girl dates :lol: I've always wanted to go to the Grand Canyon.

I miss zellers :( But not the grumpy ppl who work there.

Exactly why I hate it! :lol: Never ever had a good customer service experience while there.

My favorite thing about Zellers is: "Would this be on your HBC credit card today?" I say no, then I get, "would you like to apply today to save 10% on your purchase?" Lady I'm buying a $4 bottle of shampoo, saving 40 cents isn't really a big draw, thanks.

Shopping in the states is great! I love the Colorado Mills mall, its like the size of a small city. And of course, I'm very glad I will have Target in my life... I'm officially divorcing Wal-mart.

Edited by Hugglebuggles

???????

That sounds ghetto for 'number two'

:blink:

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Awwww... you all sound like I did when I moved across the US -- from one corner to the other. Your nostalgia is contagious and I'm now thinking of the many ways I can make sure my fiance' doesn't miss his "original" home too much!!!

I wish I lived closer to you all, too. Even though I'm an American, getting to know all of you on here has been fantastic! Kinda honorary-ish... at least that is what my fiance's friends used to say about me. lol

Happy Memorial Day weekend -- and a belated Victoria Day/May 2-4!!! :)

I think I heard you say you plan to move back home to Arizona sometime in the future. If you do you will be close to me! Then we can have our own VJ girl dates :lol: I've always wanted to go to the Grand Canyon.

Exactly why I hate it! :lol: Never ever had a good customer service experience while there.

My favorite thing about Zellers is: "Would this be on your HBC credit card today?" I say no, then I get, "would you like to apply today to save 10% on your purchase?" Lady I'm buying a $4 bottle of shampoo, saving 40 cents isn't really a big draw, thanks.

Shopping in the states is great! I love the Colorado Mills mall, its like the size of a small city. And of course, I'm very glad I will have Target in my life... I'm officially divorcing Wal-mart.

Absolutely! We can do a west coast visit! I love going to the Grand Canyon. It's so beautiful and peaceful there. :)

I must say, I've actually been to Colorado Mills! Well, at least I think I have. Is that in Castle Rock? If not, then, I have no idea what I'm talking about. Ha!! I'd love to divorce Wal-Mart, but there's a SuperStore only a couple of minutes from here. When I'm up late, like tonight, and working on something and need something, I know the store is there and I go. Plus, they've just remodeled and it is so nice! But, Target ALWAYS gets first dibs for my shopping needs. WM is the last back-up. :P

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline
Absolutely! We can do a west coast visit! I love going to the Grand Canyon. It's so beautiful and peaceful there. :)

I must say, I've actually been to Colorado Mills! Well, at least I think I have. Is that in Castle Rock? If not, then, I have no idea what I'm talking about. Ha!! I'd love to divorce Wal-Mart, but there's a SuperStore only a couple of minutes from here. When I'm up late, like tonight, and working on something and need something, I know the store is there and I go. Plus, they've just remodeled and it is so nice! But, Target ALWAYS gets first dibs for my shopping needs. WM is the last back-up. :P

I think you're thinking of the giant outlet mall in Castle Rock! Colorado Mills is in Golden, a little further north. I've always had a tolerance for Wal-mart, but after experience the wonder of Target I'm going to move on...

You+me=Grand Canyon visit! One day!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I think you're thinking of the giant outlet mall in Castle Rock! Colorado Mills is in Golden, a little further north. I've always had a tolerance for Wal-mart, but after experience the wonder of Target I'm going to move on...

You+me=Grand Canyon visit! One day!

Yep... that's it. It was an outlet mall. :)

As for the grand Canyon... you got it!!! We are going back to AZ in about 5 years (great memory, Huggles!!!). I wonder when the 5 becomes 4? Hmmm... I always keep saying 5. I'll have to check into that!!! :blink:

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

I used to work in the restaurant there from '97 to 2000. I'd say that I worked for them 3 years too long!! :lol: Ever since WM opened back in '01 or '02ish (around there) Zellers really went down hill as far as customers goes, so of course, lots of cutbacks, which is why it doesn't look organized, and there is no help. I do like WM cause I there's more choice, however, I'm looking forward to really getting to know the town I'm moving too, and find out all the best places there. Can't remember if I saw a Target, but I think there's a Kmart. Funny....all the Kmarts around here closed up years ago.

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Ok, I really have to bite my tongue. I'm not generalizing, but I can't stand ignorant people. There is a hot topic thread about a guy and his Russian wife taking a DL test.

I can't stand ignorant people who say dumb things like 'this is America, learn the language'... Blah blah blah....

First off, the country allows people to immigrate. And yes, if you plan on living in a Country, it would be wise to learn their language. But what, you can't drive until you can speak English?

We as Amer/Can have the privilege of being able to drive in other countries we visit?

I am turned off by people in the US that think the sun rises and sets on this country alone....90% of those ignorant people could not even tell you who the Canadian Prime Minister is, yet as Canadians we have a basic knowledge of the US.

Funny enough, they are the same people who say 'hey let's go out for Sushi tonight' half the Country operates with the great contributions of other nations.

Right back to my comment on 'hey you're from Canada? How many square feet is your igloo?' ?!

I have little tolerence for these ignorant uncultered folks. These are the types of folks I am not looking forward to running into LOL!

Yes, being granted access to the US is a privilege that I am more than grateful for, but I find that Canadians are a lot more integrated in our country.

Or am I wrong?

Again, I am not generalizing, as I'm sure these ignorant people with their heads in their ****** are the minority and are likely found in every country.

Ok, there, I feel better now :)

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Timeline

^ In all honesty, those are my favorite qualities about some Americans. Is the unabashed love for their own country. So much so, that they pay no attention to the qualities of other countries. I'm being serious. I really do love that about Americans.

That's just me though.

Timeline

I agree with you Poprocks, well put. Unfortunately that attitude is widespread, I have noticed. It's either "our way, or no way". Canada is alot more tolerant and multicultural.

I don't know if anyone watched this past season of the Amazing Race, but there was this team of 2 girls, Jamie and Cara. They were the most ignorant, stereotypical Americans. Obviously they were travelling in foreign countries, and she would scream and yell at people, especially cab drivers, for not speaking English. I was flabbergasted when watching, the ignorance she showed disgusted me. Unfortuntately it's people like her that give Americans a bad name outside of this country.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline
I agree with you Poprocks, well put. Unfortunately that attitude is widespread, I have noticed. It's either "our way, or no way". Canada is alot more tolerant and multicultural.

I don't know if anyone watched this past season of the Amazing Race, but there was this team of 2 girls, Jamie and Cara. They were the most ignorant, stereotypical Americans. Obviously they were travelling in foreign countries, and she would scream and yell at people, especially cab drivers, for not speaking English. I was flabbergasted when watching, the ignorance she showed disgusted me. Unfortuntately it's people like her that give Americans a bad name outside of this country.

ya those two gals were plain just rude!! Ex NFL cheer leaders. They would get soo upset that people in foreign countries could not understand English! Glad they didn't win

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

ya those two gals were plain just rude!! Ex NFL cheer leaders. They would get soo upset that people in foreign countries could not understand English! Glad they didn't win

Yeah there were total mean girls, with big butts.

How was AK Flames?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.