ak3

Magic Jack

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
LEIBAREK< they're beautiful!

Thanks babes! (F)

Oh...about the magic jack...we just mailed the 3rd one to Egypt via USPS International Express and it made it safe and sound to our friends home. Again, we do not put "magic jack" on the description, we put 'modem' and wrapped it up with clothing and some other CD's etc. We are only mailing within Cairo so I'm not sure about other cities but it seems to have gone well for us. (F)

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Just wanted to bump this thread and share our experience. My husband just carried a Magic Jack with him to Morocco since his family has ADSL. He has just arrived there, and we just tried it out for the first time. Amazing! I called the number with my cell. It rang there like a normal phone, and it sounded great -- no noticeable delay, and no static, so much better than any phone call we ever had between here and Morocco. Then he dialed my cell and it worked great that way too. This is our first time apart in more than two years, and being able to reach each other this cheaply and easily makes all the difference in the world. He'll leave it behind when he comes home, and then his family will be able to reach him immediately by voice. :dance:

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Just wanted to bump this thread and share our experience. My husband just carried a Magic Jack with him to Morocco since his family has ADSL. He has just arrived there, and we just tried it out for the first time. Amazing! I called the number with my cell. It rang there like a normal phone, and it sounded great -- no noticeable delay, and no static, so much better than any phone call we ever had between here and Morocco. Then he dialed my cell and it worked great that way too. This is our first time apart in more than two years, and being able to reach each other this cheaply and easily makes all the difference in the world. He'll leave it behind when he comes home, and then his family will be able to reach him immediately by voice. :dance:

:dance::dance: I love it too! We use it daily with our family in Egypt and our friends that have them now. I love the service and only when they experience internet outages are their issues but its not that bad, its typically only an hour or so then they call later. :dance::dance:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I tried to send one to Cairo in the mail and the customs people confiscated it. They told my husband they were mailing it back to the person who sent it, but I never got it back. 40 bucks down the drain.

I did bring one with me when I moved here so that's fine, as I left one for family back in the states.

I know some people had no trouble mailing the magic jack here, so who knows, maybe you'll be able to do so.

Something else to consider is that at times, the sound and connection aren't that great. I get a lot of static or the line cutting in and out. Not always, but when it happens you really can't have a conversation.

yeah right, the told him they sent it back, but I bet you they kept it.

I would just bring one with me if I went there. My wife is going back to the Philippines, I may get one so she can call me when she gets there, and when she leaves give it to her sister so she can call her for free.

take care

I tried to send one to Cairo in the mail and the customs people confiscated it. They told my husband they were mailing it back to the person who sent it, but I never got it back. 40 bucks down the drain.

I did bring one with me when I moved here so that's fine, as I left one for family back in the states.

I know some people had no trouble mailing the magic jack here, so who knows, maybe you'll be able to do so.

Something else to consider is that at times, the sound and connection aren't that great. I get a lot of static or the line cutting in and out. Not always, but when it happens you really can't have a conversation.

yeah right, the told him they sent it back, but I bet you they kept it.

I would just bring one with me if I went there. My wife is going back to the Philippines, I may get one so she can call me when she gets there, and when she leaves give it to her sister so she can call her for free.

take care

They keep it for sure in Egypt...they NEVER send it back. The only sure way we have sent it without problems is through Fedex or DHL...not the US mail...as it seems others have had issues of it being "stopped at customs" and not being returned to the sender. Also, they fine the person if they want the "rest" of the contents of their box and its about 200 to 600 pounds to file a claim and get the rest of your box contents or so are the stories I have heard. Disgusting :(:crying:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.