179 posts in this topic

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I continue to have to UNLOAD the dishwasher, scrub the silverware, reload everything so that there's a fighting chance of its becoming clean, and empty the thing the next morning, si man.

Yep - got this one too.....

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
As mentioned, uncovered foods in refrigerator and food sitting out all day, when she cooks it is usually early afternoon even though I may not get home till 7 or 8.

Air conditioning, better now but at first she would leave the doors open while the AC was on.

Sliding glass doors-------need I say more :lol:

YES!!!! When its nice outside, hubby will turn the A/C on in the car, then roll the windows down. :blink: I want to shake him every time he does it. I've explained it a million times. I always remind him to do one or the other not both. I'm getting tired. Maybe when winter comes I will turn the heat on and roll the windows down. :devil:

We didn't have that exact problem, but it took a while for him to adjust to heat and A/C. At first, he complained it gave him headaches, so we had to do without in the car - but had to blast both at home. The bills.... YIKES! Then he decided it was a good idea in the car, so I was always too hot in the winter and too cold in the summer. Oh well. Then there was the fact that he would wear summer clothes in the house in winter and insist on turning the heat up. I SO felt like my mom/dad/grandparents telling him "if you're cold, put some clothes on". He finally realized the difference it made in the utility bills....it's good now.

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
Ok, after just reading through the "Moving to America" thread, which seems to mostly address the now spouse who arrived from abroad, I would love to see a thread about the challenges of adjusting to the person who is adjusting to the US and us!!!! As many of you can probably attest, it can be a bit hard to keep up the sympathetic, caring side after a while, but letting some of our close friends or family know that may not be a good idea-- :blink:

well you better **'em ... might help to keep your mind on the positive side of things.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline
Ah -- and here is something else -- dig what they eat in Ecuador, and likely elsewhere in South America: http://noqinecuador.blogspot.com/2006/04/cuy.html

Here, we do not eat our PETS!

Speaking of pets, who else has found that the foreign spouse has a hard time comprehending that pets are more than just animals to us USCs? Here, the wife was stunned to come across a copy of "Cat Fancy" magazine, and she reported this amazing discovery to her entire family: "They have a magazine devoted just to CATS! And they advertise all of these products for them!"

I showed her this -- http://www.catnippizza.com/ -- and she still shakes her head regarding the electronic litterbox, si man.

My hubby is cool about the pet thing. He had pets (dog, cat, birds) when he was a kid, his favorite was the dog. It is a little strange to him (and me too!) that in Seattle people take their pets everywhere- Starbucks, Barnes and Nobles, the bus (I thought there were rules against this!) I've never seen anything quite like this before. He was also surprise by how expensive veterinary care is in the US.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Loving these stories, everyone. Thanks for sharing.

I look forward to sharing our adjustment story... if our petition EVER gets approved.

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Another road fun fact - U.S. Interstate system - Even number routes run east-west; odd number routes run north-south. The interstates start at I-10 across the southern USA and go up (I-20, I-40, I-70, I-80, etc get progressively further north). Those that have subsequently been added fall in between (I-16, I-74, etc). Similarly, I-95 is east coast running north-south; I-5 is west coast.

Also, loops around cities and spurs/connectors will be three digits with the last 2 digits being from one of the through interstates. Loops will begin with even numbers (such as I-240, I-485, I-285, etc.); spurs will begin with odd numbers (I-516, I-185, etc).

More info here:

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/programadmin/interstate.cfm

US Highways also have a similar nomenclature, but I can't remember it all.

Thank you SO MUCH for this post! I need to give a speech in 2 weeks on some topic I've researched & have been struggling to think of one. This looks like just the topic!

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
He was also surprise by how expensive veterinary care is in the US.
Si, man -- it's an entire industry. And don't get started on how animals (dogs, cats) are allowed to run loose outside in the home country.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Sorry. Around here, 4pm means "Tuesday-ish, maybe."

Time-wise, I also find it funny how I will say 'quarter past 8' instead of 'quarter after 8' and 'quarter to 9' instead of 'quarter till 9' - it's a one syllable difference and still noone understands me!! LOL :)

Fortunately my other half works for a company where if you are literally one minute late clocking in you get a point on your record card, so his punctuality is relatively good ;)

Jess
Forewarned is forearmed

See my Timeline for previous USCIS applications

Lifting Conditions
2/20/2013: Filed
2/25/2013: NOA1

7/5/2013: RFE

8/23/2013: Approved

8/31/2013: GC received

Si, man -- it's an entire industry. And don't get started on how animals (dogs, cats) are allowed to run loose outside in the home country.

Yeah, we've had our fair share of arguments about that. It's normal to let your cat run freely in England. Not so much over there, but we Brits think it cruel to keep them locked up.

Also with the time. :lol:

What's this "quarter of 9" thing? OF? OF? That implies it's 15 minutes of the hour of 9 (9:15), not 8:45!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I hate people letting their cats and dogs run around loose on their own accord. To begin with they always get run over. Nice for the buzzards though. And I don't like the thought of the local bird population being decimated by free roaming cats. Then of course there's the issue of the neighbors' freaking cat scouring the sh¡t out of my car's paint and leaving paw prints and hair all over it. I don't hate cats per se, but I like _my_ car more than _other people's_ pets.

Time? I gave up and just read out what the wrist watch says. Let _them_ figure out what sixteen thirty means.

Edited by Kar98

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
there's the issue of the neighbors' freaking cat scouring the sh¡t out of my car's paint and leaving paw prints and hair all over it.
Cats like to conquer things, which is why they jump to heights. Mine likes the top of the refrigerator, si man.

Regarding time: We were invited to a party at an Ecuadorian couple's home locally. I asked what time; the wife said "6:00." That time came & went, and I was going loco -- "We're late!" She said, "Don't worry about it; Ecuadorians show up when they want to." We arrived around 6:45 and were among the first there. I was a lot less hyper regarding a second invitation there, weeks later. Conversely, the wife gets uptight with the seemingly inflexible restrictions on attending U.S. functions -- 6:00 means 6:00. Fortunately, she was already at least intellectually familiar with the concept of "al punto" -- being "on point" or on time to the minute.

New "adjustment to foreign spouse" item: I have been informed that, when an Ecuadorian overimbibes and passes out on the bathroom floor, it is overkill to phone the "bomberos" (Fire Dept.) to come over and lift the inebriated one into bed. The 100% consensus is simply to throw a blanket over the subject and let him/her recover naturally. I view that as rather callous, but if it's the way in which they do it, perhaps it's OK. Thoughts, si man?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
New "adjustment to foreign spouse" item: I have been informed that, when an Ecuadorian overimbibes and passes out on the bathroom floor, it is overkill to phone the "bomberos" (Fire Dept.) to come over and lift the inebriated one into bed. The 100% consensus is simply to throw a blanket over the subject and let him/her recover naturally. I view that as rather callous, but if it's the way in which they do it, perhaps it's OK. Thoughts, si man?

Just make sure the air ways are clear and unobstructed and throw a blanket over the subject.

Reani_stabil.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Oh..I would have no problem with my fiance saying, "Quarter past" or "Quarter of.." but see, in Holland they are on a 24 hour clock. Don't even get me started on trying to figure out when 1600 is. They don't do am/pm there. He says it is less confusing...hmmm....not to me! I mean, if I think about it, I can figure out the conversion...really not hard, but if you aren't use to that it can make ya stop a sec.

-Blu-(currently residing in the State of Confusion)

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Amsterdam

02-27-09: I-129F Sent

03-10-09: I-129F NOA1

06-10-09: I-129F NOA2

06-17-09: Rec'vd by NVC

06-18-09: STUCK IN NVC AP

06-25-09: FINALLY petition on it's way to the embassy

06-29-09: DHL delivered our packet to the embassy in Amsterdam

07-01-09: Rec'd Packet 3!!!!

08-01-09: Rec'd Packet 4

08-25-09: Interview date...APPROVED!!!!

12/12/09: Fiancee arrival date WOOOT!

02/20/10: Married and SOOOO happy!

04/20/10: Sent off AOS (finally!)

05/03/10: Rec'd AOS NOA1

Oh..I would have no problem with my fiance saying, "Quarter past" or "Quarter of.." but see, in Holland they are on a 24 hour clock. Don't even get me started on trying to figure out when 1600 is. They don't do am/pm there. He says it is less confusing...hmmm....not to me! I mean, if I think about it, I can figure out the conversion...really not hard, but if you aren't use to that it can make ya stop a sec.

-Blu-(currently residing in the State of Confusion)

You get used to the 24hr clock. I (USC) lived in France for a while and actually think the 24hr is better (after I got used to it).

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.