179 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
hahahhahaha! oh my god, we have a pot of chicken/potato something or other sitting on the stove right now at home...and rice...always rice.

YEAH!!

Well, to be fair, my fiance is still in Holland. But we have agreed to try foods from each other's country on our various visits. I tried eel. Sounded disgusting, tasted pretty good.

All I wanted him to try was a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. Well, they don't mix chocolate and peanut butter in Holland apparently. And he could not and still cannot wrap his mind around trying this MOST GROSS thing ever. LOL...I tried to tell him it is one of the most popular candies in the US. It was a no go. It isn't that he doesn't like the occasional sweet, it was the very IDEA of mixing chocolate with peanut butter!

-Blu-(can you IMAGINE???)

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Amsterdam

02-27-09: I-129F Sent

03-10-09: I-129F NOA1

06-10-09: I-129F NOA2

06-17-09: Rec'vd by NVC

06-18-09: STUCK IN NVC AP

06-25-09: FINALLY petition on it's way to the embassy

06-29-09: DHL delivered our packet to the embassy in Amsterdam

07-01-09: Rec'd Packet 3!!!!

08-01-09: Rec'd Packet 4

08-25-09: Interview date...APPROVED!!!!

12/12/09: Fiancee arrival date WOOOT!

02/20/10: Married and SOOOO happy!

04/20/10: Sent off AOS (finally!)

05/03/10: Rec'd AOS NOA1

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

As mentioned, uncovered foods in refrigerator and food sitting out all day, when she cooks it is usually early afternoon even though I may not get home till 7 or 8.

Air conditioning, better now but at first she would leave the doors open while the AC was on.

Sliding glass doors-------need I say more :lol:

All I wanted him to try was a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. Well, they don't mix chocolate and peanut butter in Holland apparently. And he could not and still cannot wrap his mind around trying this MOST GROSS thing ever. LOL...I tried to tell him it is one of the most popular candies in the US. It was a no go. It isn't that he doesn't like the occasional sweet, it was the very IDEA of mixing chocolate with peanut butter!

:lol:

Hilarious. My hubby thinks peanut butter is pretty bizarre too, although he will eat the occasional Reese's. I have to give him credit though, even though he's kind of disgusted by it, he still makes me PB&J sandwiches for my lunches. :wub:

24q38dy.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I'm glad I had lived in the US for almost a decade before I've met the beloved :)

Things that confused me when I first arrived:

Peanut butter.

Payphones.

The phone number system.

Sealed beam headlights.

American Bread.

Analog cellphones.

Watered down beer in grocery stores.

Liquor stores.

Drive-thru banks.

American cheese.

Grocery baggers.

AM talk radio.

Meal times.

Sweet potatoes.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
I'm glad I had lived in the US for almost a decade before I've met the beloved :)

Peanut butter.

Payphones.

The phone number system.

Sealed beam headlights.

American Bread.

Analog cellphones.

Liquor stores.

Drive-thru banks.

American cheese.

Grocery baggers.

AM talk radio.

Meal times.

Sweet potatoes.

Meal time is something I am still not adjusted to. Sounds weird but me and husband take our dinner at different time, he takes it around 4:30 pm to 5 pm while I take mine around 8:00 pm. On weekends we eat our dinner together, there is no specific time on weekends, could be 7:00 pm or it could be 11:00 pm.

Of people saying how the foreigner keeping food outside for long or keeping uncovered food in the fridge, well its actually opposite in our case. My husband sometime put uncovered food in the fridge and I always have to yell talk to him about it :P I think its more of a being careless thing with him than anything to do with culture.

He finds it weird that I refuse to drink cold milk, I am more used to drinking warm milk, I hate milk but when once in a blue moon I do drink milk, I do heat it up a bit :P

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
Meal time is something I am still not adjusted to. Sounds weird but me and husband take our dinner at different time, he takes it around 4:30 pm to 5 pm while I take mine around 8:00 pm. On weekends we eat our dinner together, there is no specific time on weekends, could be 7:00 pm or it could be 11:00 pm.

Well, I was used to have the main meal of the day around noon, and just sandwiches or a light warm snack at night.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I love reading all of your posts!! Thank you!

A few more from my hubby-

at first he totally rejected the idea of talking to voice mail or a machine- fortunately he is beginning to relax on that a bit. I mean, he is trying to get a job now but he wouldn't return messages with potential offers (just deleted --OMG!!! you what!!!) The only way to describe his reaction to our ways with phones was offended and disgusted! He actually would say, fine, I will go back to my country to work! Thank God he is adjusting -- it seems so innocuous and basic to us doesn't it?

then there are things that he just never heard of before, so explaining it at first is like explaining a new color. Like automatic garage doors. today an elderly neighbor called me at work, asking for help bringing her garbage from the house to the can, and the can to the street. i called my hubby at home and he gallantly offered to help--- but he could not understand how she could open the garage door if she wasn't feeling strong enough to lift the garbage? explaining that it's automatic or that she uses a remote met with the same question, repeated again- but how...? i dont know, maybe they don't use automatic doors where he is from.

We have some friends over this weekend and us American wives had a few great laughs together about our foreign husbands. We found quite a few similarities in how they get ticked off by strange things-- and how it's been trying to teach them how to drive! (OMG!!!) But we also talked about how great it is to have them- how they both cook and clean and take care of us and make us laugh and love us more than anything.

4.25.08: sent K-1 application

4.28.08: NOA1

5.14.08: touched

9.25.08: touched

9.26.08: touched

9.26.08: NOA2

10.2.08: at NVC, letter says our application will be sent to Guayaquil in one week

10.9.08: spoke with consulate, they have our case

10.13.08: Doctor's appointment

10.20.08: Interview READ THE REVIEWS!

10.30.08: entry: Los Angeles

11.12.08: marriage

11.25.08: applied for Social Security card. READ THE vj GUIDE!

12.3.08: packet and letter for interview arrived at fiance's mail in Ecuador- for 10.20 interview! ha ha!

12.5.08: received SS card in mail

1.9.09: sent AOS/EAD/AP applications

2.10.09: Biometrics appt, Sacramento CA

3.15.09: AP recieved in mail

3.26.09: EAD recieved in mail

3.26.09: AOS interview, Sacramento, CA

4.09.09: Permanent Resident card received in mail

3.11.11: Mailed I-751 to CSC

3.14.11: I-751 received by CSC per USPS tracking

3.14.11: NOA date (received in mail on 3.19) one year extension

LOL @ him asking how can she be so weak that she can't take out her own trash. But she lifted the garage door on her own. :lol:

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : South Korea

2009-03-13 : Married~

2009-04-20 : I-130 Sent

2009-04-28 : I-130 NOA1

2009-05-20 : I-130 Approved! (Your I-130 was approved 22 days from NOA1 date.)

2009-05-27 : NVC Received and assigned case #.

2009-06-05 : NVC Left

2009-06-29: Medical (passed)

2009-07-07 : Interview Date

2009-07-10 : Visa Received

2009-07-30: US Entry

2009-08-13: Green card shipped

2009-09-01: Applied for SSN

2009-09-27: SSN Received

2009-12-12- Driver's Lic. Issued

2010-01-06- Hubby signed 3 year contract w/ military

Next Step: Coping with being alone for 5 months~

kiss.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline
My USC husband had it easy I feel. I take care of paying utility bills/rent in time, groccery shopping on my own, making food, giving him clean shirts to wear and a clean bed to sleep on to.............basically he is very happy to have got a controlling dominating tyrant of a wife, who controls every aspect of what he eats, wears and breathes (yes I also buy his cigarettes) :blush::P

You go girl! :thumbs:

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
quote]K., tell C. that Americanos usually don't leave food in pots on the stove for days & days and continue eating out of the pots.
does your C also never clean the science experiments out of the fridge?
C... er, si, man. Even the cat's litterbox cannot rival it, and the box of baking-soda that I put inside the fridge ran out screaming, begging to be deported, si man. In addition, I continue to have to UNLOAD the dishwasher, scrub the silverware, reload everything so that there's a fighting chance of its becoming clean, and empty the thing the next morning, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
...us American wives ... talked about how great it is to have them- how they both cook
Si, man
and clean
Say WHAT, si man?! Maybe it's just the foreign husbands?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Cheers to all the USCs going through the adjustment process with us immigrants!

I'm so thankful that my husband is so very understanding. I know my meltdowns and observations on life in the US sometimes upset him him but he still managed to hold me and tell me it'll all be ok. :luv:

~ Catherine

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
Cheers to all the USCs going through the adjustment process with us immigrants!

I'm so thankful that my husband is so very understanding. I know my meltdowns and observations on life in the US sometimes upset him him but he still managed to hold me and tell me it'll all be ok. :luv:

~ Catherine

My wife (the USC) has been brilliant at trying specialties from my country:

- Snails

- Eels

- Tartare (raw beef :) )

- Foie Gras (half cooked or non cooked duck liver)

- Veal liver

- Raw oysters

- bloody t-bones and other bloody thick beef cuts :)

- Roasted lamb (like pulled pork if you will, but stronger taste)

- "disgusting cheeses" such as "Roquefort" which is like your blue cheese but much stronger and moldier

- Morbier (cheese with a layer of ashes in it the middle)

- tripes (digestive system of the beef => colon, stomach)

- rabbit

- pork head, tongue, feet

- bull's balls soup

So far, she loved everything :) Sounds good to you?

Cheers

Edited by Kinito_2k3

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Airplane ticket from Costa Rica to MD---about 400 bucks.

Rental car from Baltimore to Ocean City---about 60 bucks.

The look on my wife's (then girfriend) face as a tray full of MD steamed crabs got dumped on the brown paper covered table---PRICELESS!

This winter I may have to get her to sit with me in a tree stand. :lol: I could only imagine what she would think of that in December. She was all bundled and freezing last SEPTEMBER while I took her surf fishing.

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

Peanut butter.

Payphones.

The phone number system.

Sealed beam headlights.

American Bread.

Analog cellphones.

Liquor stores.

Drive-thru banks.

American cheese.

Grocery baggers.

AM talk radio.

Meal times.

Sweet potatoes.

Payphones?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.