Lakontis

Easier to move to US or Canada by marriage?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Nice!! I cant remember every place I lived since 18 let alone 16 years old :blink: Thankfully, I'm the Petitioner in this case :whistle:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

April 21, 2010 - AOS/AP/EAD Received in Chicago

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Yeah. I just gave the towns and provinces, and a general estimation of the dates that I lived there. Ditto with the employment data. I couldn't remember all the p/t jobs I had while I was in school so I just attached my resume. :lol:

That seems reasonable to me. When I visit my finacee in Vancouver, I see alot of immigrant families, including parents and I think to myself, how did these 60-70 old parents remember every address or employer since age 18 when they were petitioned by thier children who arrived in Canada first (for example)? Having said that, I have a lot of friends from other countrys who really dont move away from the Province or City/County area they were born and raised in which is a little differant from us in the US major metro areas who tend to move around a lot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

April 21, 2010 - AOS/AP/EAD Received in Chicago

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi, there is a girl that I want to marry. The problem is she is in Texas, US and I am in BC, Canada. We are planning to go through marriage process and live in US, but it seems like the process takes almost a year. So I am thinking that if it is MUCH easier (ie: if she can come here right away and live) for her to come here instead, we might consider that too. But again we both REALLY prefer living in US.

The biggest difference between the Canadian process and the US one is that theres no such thing as a fiance visa, you have to be legally married to apply for a visa. There are exceptions but they are very difficult to prove and often denied. Your first problem is going to be her getting here, try telling a canadian border crossing officer that her intention is to marry and see how far you get.

The next problem is that she won't be able to work for quite a while, that might not be a problem for you but I know it was for my fiance and I when we were looking into going this route. At least with the K1 the forced seperation allows you both to work for the majority of the process. If your one of those people who crys when they see a rainbow than you could also tell yourself it makes the heart grow stronger.

But at the end of the day none of that stuff really matters like other posters have said if the US is where you want to be than whats a couple more months and a bit more money. In the grande scheme of things its merely a drop in the bucket.

Good luck to you!

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

08/27/2009 - Visa Received

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

01/15/2010 - EAD Approved

02/25/2010 - AOS Interview

Adjuticator's Field Manual

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Disclaimer : 100% of the time I only think I know what I'm talking about.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.