DamselinNYC

Warning: Mega complicated question

48 posts in this topic

Like sister Kathryn said: a lawyer will not be of any help. Best option: return to Canada. WTH.

Yes return to Canada and if you do, I suggest before June 1st! As you said you lost your passport in Miami. You will need a passport to cross any land borders! So that date is coming up very quickly!

Edited by minnew

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Like sister Kathryn said: a lawyer will not be of any help. Best option: return to Canada. WTH.

Yes return to Canada and if you do, I suggest before June 1st! As you said you lost your passport in Miami. You will need a passport to cross any land borders! So that date is coming up very quickly!

Oh. I'm confused. I thought the passport thing was just to get into the US. I didn't know you needed a passport to now get into Canada as of June 1st from the US.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Oh. I'm confused. I thought the passport thing was just to get into the US. I didn't know you needed a passport to now get into Canada as of June 1st from the US.

Humm I thought it was, now I am confused too! Because say if you visit Canada from the U.S. without a passport, how can you get back into the U.S. if the requirement is to have a passport for entry into the U.S.?

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

ROC

y7nv8l5t.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

That's a good point Amanda. I don't think you do either - if you are travelling across the border in your own car. Taking commercial transportation - then you do need the passport as they are required to ensure you have it.

Canadians Returning Home - Canadian Border Services Agency

Make sure you carry proper identification for yourself and any children travelling with you to assist in confirming your legal right to enter Canada. Proper identification includes a Canadian birth certificate, a Canadian passport, a permanent residence card, a citizenship card or a certificate of Indian status. link

Humm I thought it was, now I am confused too! Because say if you visit Canada from the U.S. without a passport, how can you get back into the U.S. if the requirement is to have a passport for entry into the U.S.?

Sorry this is OT from the OP's post!

Shoot, wish I could still edit. Sorry for the misinformation, its a U.S. law, Canada has not implemented it. If a U.S. citizen is returning to the U.S. after visiting Canada a passport will still be needed from what I read, even though Canada does not require a passport for him/her to enter. Here is the website about WHTI.

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/eng_map.html

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

ROC

y7nv8l5t.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Another issue is your friend could get into serious trouble to for hiring an illegal if found out. Not to mention your boyfriend could also be accused of haboring an illegal alien which has it's on reprocussions as well. So it's not just you that you are putting into jeapordy now, it's your BF and your friend if they try and hire you.

Crossing over the border even once can be the end of it as getting back into the US they very well might want to see proof that you live there and have stable ties to Canada.

Yep heard about passports being mandatory as well now at the borders.

This is not a difficult or complicated situation. It's plain and simple. You are living here illegally and need to leave before you (and others) really get into problems.

I'd hate to ask how you are dealing with medical insurance as I'm sure you won't be covered by your boyfriend and would hate to see what the bill would be if you had an emergency or even going to the doctors etc. That I am curious how you are managing the insurance part of that...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Timeline
Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.

English

Seriously, #######.

Timeline

:lol:

Oh Leeeennnn.

My eyes filled with grit

Well, I looked into the overstay issue when I was applying for my AOS and this is the most current information that I could find:

"Subject: Advisory Opinion: INA 212( a)( 9 )( B ) and Canadians

Ref: ( a ) Montreal 1497, ( B ) Victars E57819, © 97 State 23545, ( d ) State 60539

Montreal's Reftel asks if the unlawful presence inadmissibilities, imposed by INA (a )(9 )(B )1 and 2, apply to Canadians, and Commonwealth Citizens Resident in Canada, who enter the United States following inspection by and INS officer, but have received neither a visa nor an I-94.

The INS General Counsel's office has informed VO that, a Canadian, or Commonwealth Citizen Resident in Canada, admitted following inspection, who has not been issued an I-94, should be treated in the same manner as a duration of status case, similar to an F or J.

As in duration of status cases, a Canadian, or Commonwealth Citizen Resident in Canada, who is found to have violated status and be removable by an Immigration Judge, or found to have violated status, by an INS officer, in the course of adjudicating a benefit, such as an extension of stay or a change of adjustment of status, is unlawfully present. The unlawful presence commences on the date when the immigration judge, or INS officer, makes the ruling, not the date the status violation began.

A Canadian, or Commonwealth Citizen Resident in Canada, like other aliens, who enters without inspection, accrues unlawful presence from the time of entry. However, as unlawful presence may not be counted in the aggregate, there must be an unbroken period of unlawful presence lasting at least six months after April 1, 1997, and following the applicant's eighteenth birthday, before a 9B bar could apply. "

I was also advised by a pretty decent immigration lawyer that while I had overstayed, I was not unlawfully present and not subjected to any bar and could travel on AP (which I didn't do). I would rather be safe then sorry, but I also believe that a bar issued to a Canadian could be challenged and successfully removed, using the above opinion.

Edited by jane2005

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Timeline

Jane, Jane, Jane.....

Your pretty good immigration lawyer was wrong, just like most of them are. We all would like to think that because lawyers are supposed to know and research the law, they are always right. However, mostly when it comes to immigration, they are wrong.

Would you like us to honestly give you links to cases where Canadians have been successfully barred? If I go to the US and stay there for 5 years, am I not an illegal immigrant? What is the difference between me and someone who crossed into mexico as a visitor, and is also now there for 5 years? How could you argue, if I may ask, that you are NOT unlawfully in the US?

A J or F Visa only allows you to stay certain amounts of time, by the way, so again...you can't overstay those visas either!

Again, this issue keeps on coming up. If we were all allowed to stay for however long we wanted without penalty, why would I pay thousands of dollars to immigrate?

Every one knows there is a 6 month rule. Please don't be one of those people that comes on here and starts a massive debate about whether or not it exists and that Canadians are immune to overstay. It's almost prejudice to say that.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

Regarding the 6 month overstay issue for Canadians here is an interesting link to the CRS Report to Congress from 2006 where it specifically addresses the problem of estimating overstays for Canadian non-immigrants with a 6 month length of stay who are exempt from the I-94:

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:bhToYI...=clnk&gl=us

[u]
Estimating Overstays[/u]
In the past few years it became apparent that the data on nonimmigrant overstays
were unreliable because these data were based upon the I-94 Arrival/Departure form.
Although the I-94 forms are usually collected from foreign nationals at air and sea ports,
the forms are infrequently collected from foreign nationals exiting at land ports.
Moreover, two major classes of nonimmigrants are exempt from fillingout theI-94 when
visiting the United States for business or pleasure:[b] Canadian citizens admitted for up to
six months[/b] and Mexican citizens entering with a border crossing card (laser visa) along
the southwestern border who intend to limit their stay to less than thirty days and intend
not to travel beyond a set perimeter, generally 25 miles (75 miles in Arizona) from the
border.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Timeline
Hi! Alright so, almost 2 yrs ago (2yrs i Sept. '09) I was misguided and moved here from Toronto to be with a guy I was seeing.

Oh yes - I lost my passport in Miami and have yet to replace it, I never renewed my expired Canadian passport as I had the license and currently the only ID I have is my British passport (I have dual brit/can citizenship and I was born in London, UK).

Anybody have any ideas? :unsure:

You have read the ideas and I am sure you don't like the answers. You are currently in possession of a valid UK passport. You should leave the USA as soon as possible and enter Canada on your UK passport. Do not pass Go! Do not collect $200.

So there are NO questions in your mind.

You are in the United States illegally. You are breaking the law. You are subject to deportation.

Harsh sounding...yes!!! You broke the rules now you have one chance to fix it. The one chance is to pack up and leave the USA as soon as possible. And pray, and pray that you didn't piss someone off and that person doesn't call ICE on you. They will show up at your house and drive you over the border!

Timeline
...and might I add that I find all this slightly annoying as my dad was born literally 5 minutes away from the border. I just want to be able to stay in New York, really.

I'm sorry but this comment bothered me a lot. I was born literally 15 minutes from the border, but what difference does this make? How does the birth location of your father (not even you, rendering the comment even more perplexing) somehow give you a special privilege to remain in the US illegally for 2 years? There have been many times where I wished I was born 15 minutes east, but international do borders exist, despite how inconvenient they may be. I'm sorry if that sounded harsh, but a lot of Canadians were born and live very close to the American border and spend a lot time visiting and educating themselves in the US. They are subject to the same immigration laws as anyone else. With that said, I hope you find a legal path to live your American dream. Good luck.

Hi! Alright so, almost 2 yrs ago (2yrs i Sept. '09) I was misguided and moved here from Toronto to be with a guy I was seeing.

Oh yes - I lost my passport in Miami and have yet to replace it, I never renewed my expired Canadian passport as I had the license and currently the only ID I have is my British passport (I have dual brit/can citizenship and I was born in London, UK).

Anybody have any ideas? :unsure:

You have read the ideas and I am sure you don't like the answers. You are currently in possession of a valid UK passport. You should leave the USA as soon as possible and enter Canada on your UK passport. Do not pass Go! Do not collect $200.

So there are NO questions in your mind.

You are in the United States illegally. You are breaking the law. You are subject to deportation.

Harsh sounding...yes!!! You broke the rules now you have one chance to fix it. The one chance is to pack up and leave the USA as soon as possible. And pray, and pray that you didn't piss someone off and that person doesn't call ICE on you. They will show up at your house and drive you over the border!

Yes she is here illegally! BUT ICE showing up and drive her over the border????!!!! I would bet my every dollar that would NEVER happen!

First off. In spite of all everyone is saying here, relations between the USA and Canada are different than with any other country. All Commercial traffic is logged into Canada and logged into the USA so they can compare notes and see the time spent each place. BUT non commercial traffic of Canadians being logged into the computers when entering into the US is random. and vice versa. If you are in a car and pull up to the inspection booth they may only ask a few questions and let you go. You are not put into the system so there is no record of how long you stayed and the issue of an overstay is irrelevant.

I know of many Canadians in the states and US citizens in Canada who have lived in the other country for years without getting residency. I am not saying it is right or wrong but they have the money to buy a house and live without causing any problems or making a noise about anything.

The passport requirments do go into effect June 1st! BUT, again, Canadian citizens who would be here before June 1st without a passport only need to prove to their government they are Canadian with whatever means they have on them. The US is the ones who require passports. The Canadian Government has said. Any US citizen must have a passport to enter their country because if the US will not let them back without it then they dont want them stuck in Canada.

Any Canadian will need a passport to enter the US after June 1st and I am sure all persons will be entered into the computers and will be trackable after june 1st so overstays and such will be known but as far as them tracking down everyone and escorting them out of the country??? NOT going to happen for a long long time. Unless you are found to be extremely dangerous probably wont be a problem if you keep a low profile. over 20 million known illegals here now! They cant deal with what they know about let alone the unknown.

Even though there are millions already doing it, I don't condone stooping down to their level and being like them. I say do it the right way. whatever that may be, going home and applying, doing an AOS here, just do it legal and you can sleep at night without any worries. Don't worry about overstays and bans, no one probably even knows your here and evidently your government has managed just fine without you or they would have called long ago and asked you to come home and help support the family :lol::lol::lol: IMHO!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.