keli27

LPR petition question

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm currently a green card holder and going to marry my husband in the phils. I was petitioned as single thats why we did not get married right away. After our wedding, im going to petition him immediately.

My friends, now this is my question..Can i still retain my maiden name and not use his last name for the meantime? because its so expensive to change my green card, passport and sss id. ill just wait when my husband and daughter comes here. my daughter also took my last name and i declared her as my dependent.

thanks for all your helP!

Edited by keli27

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You can change your name any time you want. Have you considered US citizenship so your husband can get here faster? :huh:

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

for my payroll and income tax returns im already using my married lastname but i still have my single lastname on the card. ill be renewing my card and at the same time changing my lastname on the card. i waited until renewal coz its so expensive so i think we should be fine. but on my petition for my spouse, i alreayd used my married lastname

------USCIS-- married since March 28, 2005 - I130 filed: july 27, 2007

NOA #1: Aug 6, 2007 NOA #2: Oct. 29, 2009 - APPROVED

--NVC--December 12, 2009 - Case# generated from NVC

December 17, 2009 - hubby received his letter from NVC[/font]

April 13, 2010 - received DS-3032 via email

April 19, 2010 - sent back DS-3032 to NVC thru DHL (did not email a copy)

April 23, 2010 - DS3032 was received per operator and reviewed, received IV and AOS bill thru mail.

April 29, 2010 - paid AOS ($70) fee bill

April 30, 2010 - paid IV fee bill ($400.00 each beneficiary)

May 01, 2010 - AOS shows "PAID" in the system, printed cover sheet.

May 05, 2010 - iv bill shows "PAID"

June 24, 2010 - sent AOS via USPS/certified and prioritized

July 14, 2010 - received RFE. nvc is requesting again for Tax Transcript 2009

Sept 14, 2010 - Mailed RFE documents via usps

Sept 22, 2010 - mailed complete DS-230 via DHL

Oct 14, 2010 - received RFE about beneficiary's police clearances

Nov. 30, 2010 - sent corrected DS-230 with correct years of residency via USPS

Dec. 21, 2010 - CASE COMPLETED!!!

April 28, 2011 - interview date was set to JUNE 28, 2011 @6:30AM

June 15, 2011 - MEDICAL EXAM and will be back fri (6/17/11) for results

June 28, 2011 - Interview

July 12, 2011 - arrived at LAX - and we'll live happily ever after!

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

What if i'm an LPR for almost 5months, can i marry in the philippines and petition my wife in the philippines? how long does it take? what is the visa type/category?

You can change your name any time you want. Have you considered US citizenship so your husband can get here faster? :huh:

Diana

How is this? how long does it take to be a us citizen? by naturalization? or by application? if i became a us citizen, how long does it take to wait for my wife in the us?

Thanks

What if i'm an LPR for almost 5months, can i marry in the philippines and petition my wife in the philippines? how long does it take? what is the visa type/category?

Diana

How is this? how long does it take to be a us citizen? by naturalization? or by application? if i became a us citizen, how long does it take to wait for my wife in the us?

Thanks

Since you have only been an LPR for 5 months and will be getting married in PI, you obviously did not get the GC through marriage to a USC which puts you in the 5yr LPR before aplying for citizenship category. You can apply for citizenship 90 days (which does not equal 3 months) before the 5yr LPR anniversary of your GC. Read the M-476 guide for naturalization.

You will submit an I-130 which will be approved but visa number will not become available for another 5 years - so just about the time you become a USC.

Edited by milimelo

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi

hope i can be a help to you... but i am a LPR and got married 2005. filed i130 2007 and all i got was a receipt for the petition filed. it will take 5 yrs for the whole process. since i got married i change my last name on my SScard and my driver's license but not my greencard. i waited till last may 09 that applied for the renewal and at the same time to change my lastname... i havent receive the new card yet but everything is going fine at least...

i havent heard anything with regards to my petition, and still waiting for my newcard...

if i were you:

>>> i would still file I-103 for your husband.

( even if it'll take 5 yrs, you can update that when you get naturalized )

>>> you can change you lastname to your married lastname in your passport, ssn card, driver's license

( as long as you have the original copy of your marriage cert, you can do that...)

>>> IF YOU REALLY WANNA BE SURE.... YOU CAN CALL USCIS, OR MAKE AN INFOPASS

but thats what i did and i dont have any problem with it....

i posted a forum about us LPR that is trying to petition spouses...you can that check out too.....

------USCIS-- married since March 28, 2005 - I130 filed: july 27, 2007

NOA #1: Aug 6, 2007 NOA #2: Oct. 29, 2009 - APPROVED

--NVC--December 12, 2009 - Case# generated from NVC

December 17, 2009 - hubby received his letter from NVC[/font]

April 13, 2010 - received DS-3032 via email

April 19, 2010 - sent back DS-3032 to NVC thru DHL (did not email a copy)

April 23, 2010 - DS3032 was received per operator and reviewed, received IV and AOS bill thru mail.

April 29, 2010 - paid AOS ($70) fee bill

April 30, 2010 - paid IV fee bill ($400.00 each beneficiary)

May 01, 2010 - AOS shows "PAID" in the system, printed cover sheet.

May 05, 2010 - iv bill shows "PAID"

June 24, 2010 - sent AOS via USPS/certified and prioritized

July 14, 2010 - received RFE. nvc is requesting again for Tax Transcript 2009

Sept 14, 2010 - Mailed RFE documents via usps

Sept 22, 2010 - mailed complete DS-230 via DHL

Oct 14, 2010 - received RFE about beneficiary's police clearances

Nov. 30, 2010 - sent corrected DS-230 with correct years of residency via USPS

Dec. 21, 2010 - CASE COMPLETED!!!

April 28, 2011 - interview date was set to JUNE 28, 2011 @6:30AM

June 15, 2011 - MEDICAL EXAM and will be back fri (6/17/11) for results

June 28, 2011 - Interview

July 12, 2011 - arrived at LAX - and we'll live happily ever after!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Diana

Thanks

Since you have only been an LPR for 5 months and will be getting married in PI, you obviously did not get the GC through marriage to a USC which puts you in the 5yr LPR before aplying for citizenship category. You can apply for citizenship 90 days (which does not equal 3 months) before the 5yr LPR anniversary of your GC. Read the M-476 guide for naturalization.

You will submit an I-130 which will be approved but visa number will not become available for another 5 years - so just about the time you become a USC.

which is one is more faster:

as an LPR, if i petition my wife now, how long does it take?

or wait for 5 yrs to become a us citizen, and file petition?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.