WalkonWildSide

Explaining to your SO that you are poor

33 posts in this topic

One of my personal victories is I have my wife convinced generic brands are just as good as name brand stuff. Victory is mine!

Do tell, do tell! I want to learn the secret on how you convinced her. Personally I am not hung up on brand names, generics are just fine.

I explained how generics are often made by the same companies but packaged differently. "See, this name brand item priced at $3.87 is made in Kalamazoo, Mi. This store brand item is also made in Kalamazoo and it's only $2.39. Now, why would two products that are made in the same place be priced differently if they're the same thing? Because people want to pay for the name that they saw on TV or in the magazine. Why are we going to be stupid like these people and pay extra money?"

RWs (and all women for that matter) love it when you tell them they're smarter than someone. It's kind of like they just figured out a huge secret. If you can't swing that, deal the death blow - "any money we save on food can be spent on cosmetics." Guaranteed you'll be eating Food Lion brand everything after that.

Anyway, most generic products don't really matter as they're "American food." Russian food - soup, vegetables, meat, etc. - will be bought "natural" anyway so you don't have to worry about that. But don't get me started on the "regular vs. organic" debate. Luckily my wife is just happy to have fresh veggies year round so she doesn't really care if they're organic or not but when she shops it's one price and when I shop it's another. Why? Location! Product placement geniuses (genii?) have strategically placed the organic food closer to the door so you come across it first. (Mix in some lighting, more convenient location to the main aisle, etc., and it's over.) "Put that back, that's organic. Do you really want to pay an extra two dollars just because there are no chemicals? Come on! Buy the chemicals and save two bucks! That two bucks can be used for cosmetics...." Works every time!

OK - I was almost there with the generic stuff. Then Vika read some articles in a Russian magazine about food additives and chemicals - then the BAD, BAD chemicals in the makeup she wears. She went on a I-want-everything-in-our-lives-to-be-organic-and-I-am-thinking-about-our-health-so-how-can-you-care-about-the-cost spree. So are there generic organics? I know, probably an oxymoron :P . My point is that appreciating the standard of living here and understanding the cost of it is a process for most immigrants I think. Be patient - because she isn't going to get it right away no matter what you say. And the light bulb will flicker on and off for awhile apparently. Vika can absolutely appreciate that we live in a nice patio home and don't really need a $700,000.00 monster home in Indian Hills, or that the $150 grill is almost as good as the $300 grill for the space we have on the deck. Understanding gas prices and the difference between salmon at the supermarket and the fish botique (mostly price) will come eventually I hope.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes, there are generic organics! In my grocery store it's called Nature's Promise. It's storebrand generic. It's sold at supermarkets that are owned by Ahold. That's the one they sell at my store; your grocery store might also have a generic organic storebrand.

Первый блин комом.

Yes, there are generic organics! In my grocery store it's called Nature's Promise. It's storebrand generic. It's sold at supermarkets that are owned by Ahold. That's the one they sell at my store; your grocery store might also have a generic organic storebrand.

We will look for it :D

Cheers!

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.