whatdouwantfromme

Question about interview,green card and other related doc..

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I understand that when you go to your interview, you have to present documents of proof that you are living together.. such as a joint bank account for example.. BUT.. i went to my bank and asked them about the procedure of adding my husband to my account so we can have a joint account.. they were telling me that he needs proof of residency such as a greencard.. how is that possible if we dont have the greencard yet.. we are slightly confused.. pleasseee heeeeeelp!!

I understand that when you go to your interview, you have to present documents of proof that you are living together.. such as a joint bank account for example.. BUT.. i went to my bank and asked them about the procedure of adding my husband to my account so we can have a joint account.. they were telling me that he needs proof of residency such as a greencard.. how is that possible if we dont have the greencard yet.. we are slightly confused.. pleasseee heeeeeelp!!

You have filed for a K1 fiance visa, you don't have to prove you are living together only that you havr met in person in the last 2 years. You don't need a joint bank account.

California Service Center

Consulate: Vienna, Austria

01/09/2008: Marriage

01/22/2009: I-130 Sent

02/10/2009: I-130 NOA1

02/12/2009: I-129 Sent

03/03/2009: I-129 NOA1

03/16/2009: I-130 NOA2 I-129 NOA2

NVC Journey CR-1

04/03/2009: NVC Received and Case number assigned

04/06/2009: IV bill/AOS Fee bill generated (for son)

04/06/2009: Pay I-864 Fee Bill online (for son)Paid I-864 Fee Bill online (for son)

04/07/2009: IV bill/AOS Fee bill (for son) status shows paid

04/08/2009: IV bill/AOS Fee bill generated (for me) Pay I-864 Fee Bill online (for me)

04/09/2009: IV bill/AOS Fee bill (for me) status shows paid

04/09/2009: Received I-864/DS-230 package

04/28/2009: Send completed I-864 package Send completed DS-230 package

05/18/2009: Package entered into system

05/27/2009: AVR says RFE sent by email

06/02/2009: Received RFE by email Sent RFE DHL

06/08/2009: NVC received RFE

06/10/2009: RFE entered into AVR

06/19/2009: Case Completed at NVC

07/08/2009: NVC Left

Embassy Journey CR-1

07/12/2009: Received by embassy

08/24/2009: Medical

08/25/2009: Interview Date

08/26/2009: Visa in hand

09/14/2009: POE Boston Harbour

01/18/2011: I-751 sent to CSC

01/24/2011: NOA1

03/04/2011: Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Not according to the law. He needs only an ITIN or SSN and valid photo ID. Foreign people are allowed to have US bank accounts. DUH!!!!

This could be a bank policy but more likely an untrained employee. For whatever reason, untrained employees tend to start making up rules and laws when faced with unknown situations rather than ask a supervisor. My theory is they think this makes them look more "trained" that they never ask the boss a question. Of course this theory depends on you to go away quietly and not insist that your privilege to a bank account be accomodated. Speak to the branch President or whatever the top person is there at the bank or move your account. If you must move your account to a bank that trains its employees, be sure to let your former bank know why.

Incidentally for our AOS interview we were not asked and did not present ANY documentation of any sort other than what we sent with our I-485 (marriage lisence) and not a single question regarding our relationship.

You have filed for a K1 fiance visa, you don't have to prove you are living together only that you havr met in person in the last 2 years. You don't need a joint bank account.

She is speaking about the AOS interview. K-1 is ancient history at this point. For this she most defintley needs to be married and living with her husband.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Timeline
Incidentally for our AOS interview we were not asked and did not present ANY documentation of any sort other than what we sent with our I-485 (marriage lisence) and not a single question regarding our relationship.

But many people ARE asked to provide additional financial documentation beyond what they sent in the petition package. And most are asked at least a few questions about the relationship.

And as regards any 'law' in place regarding what a bank may require when opening an account, that would be the Patriot Act -

http://www.gcglaw.com/resources/financial/...tification.html

"Because there is no uniform identification number that non-U.S. persons are able to provide to a bank, a bank has the option to obtain a variety of identification numbers from non-U.S. persons, including passport numbers and country of issuance and alien identification numbers. A bank must decide for itself, based upon appropriate risk factors, whether the information presented by the customer enables the bank to establish a reasonable belief that it knows the true identity of the customer."

Filed: Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Thanks a lot guys! Your info is very helpful. I should talk to someone that knows what they are doing in that bank. I don't see why I'm not able to add my husband on. He does have a SSN.. She was also saying that he needs some form of State ID.. which would be a New York State one.. but there too, when I went to get him one, and presented his passport they were not excepting it as valid for issuance of an ID.. so0o.. I dunno.. people make it very difficult to move forward.. lol

A joint bank account is only one of the things that can be used as proof of cohabitation. You yourself mentioned it as an example. So it is not an absolute requirement. You can take other proof to your interview. (If the interviewer specifically asks you about the account, you can tell her/him the reason why you do not have it yet.)

If you do want the joint account, why not talk to someone else at the bank (e.g. a supervisor) or - if they keep saying no - go to a different bank? Some seem easier than others. In our case, they required my SSN, not a GC.

Website US Department of State, Consular Affairs Bureau: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1339.html

u should be able to just show a utility bill or passport or something listing his address as this.

March 11- mailed out AOS to chicago

March 31- I-485 touched.

April 3- got letter in mail saying Initial interview on May 15.

interview came way too fast..

approved 2 yr card on july 2007

Feb10 - mailed out I-751 to CSC

Feb20 - did biometrics

waiting waiting waiting for the 10 year card......................................

My husband and I had no trouble at our AOS interview and we had no joint bank accounts. In fact, my bank would not let me add him to my checking account until he had a valid driver's license. Wasn't happy about this, but what could I do, it's their policy. We didn't have enough time between him getting his SS card and our interview to look into other banks.

What else do you have as proof of your bona fide marriage? You don't NEED joint bank accounts to prove this. There are a lot of other options if you think about it. His name on a lease, shared credit cards, he as a beneficiary on an account you have or vice versa, shared memberships to things, joint utility bills, blah blah. You get mail at the same address, right? Even junk mail can show you live at the same address. Everyone's marriage is different, and therefore not everyone can present the same types of evidence. What makes your marriage unique to you? It's not JUST about proving you live in the same house. Roommates live in the same house. Married people share a lot more. :)

24q38dy.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.