FormelyCA

Dental Insurance/Vent/Rant

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I agree with everyone else.. CDN dentistry is cheaper.. and I'd consider getting our dental work done back home if it was something huge. Hubby had a root canal last year and it was 1200$ (just for the root canal no cap)... our insurance paid for most of the root canal, but wouldn't pay anything for the cap. We're still paying off that one (that was $600.00 or something silly)..

I think some dentists are con artists.. go to 3 different dentists and you'll get a list of 3 different things wrong with your mouth. I just have had bad experiences and totally feel jipped every time I go see one.

Our dentist now is decent.. I'm not 100% happy, but he'll do for now.. oh for my old dentist back in Canada.. he practiced in CA for a long time before moving home to PEI.. he had a super attitude and seemed willing to help his patients.

trailmix - ohhh ok I get it now. That makes sense-ish :) I think in the end also, it would be roughly the same fee to go to Canada to do it. I wasn't overly paying attention when he was telling me how much it would be, $600 for the root canal sounds familiar, and that is what she is charging me here. Plus, flight etc. Plus, I don't think I can wait another 3 months for my AoS to clear :( I need to get this done this month - it has been waaaay overdue.

I agree. I mean the thing is they are businessmen/women. So I get it. When i was in Korea I felt that a LOT. So, me being the stubborn person I am, I decided not to give them my business. I realize now though, if I keep up that mentality I will be stubborn.......and toothless :lol: When i finally found one I liked in Korea, it was a month before I left and I only had time to get the 1 root canal (free I will say again!! Well, like $20, insurance covered the rest..here that Delta Dental!? - yes, I am still bitter ;) )

I will shop around for sure, and like I said, those 9 "cavities" are not even getting looked at for a year. 5 dentists in 1 year and this is the first I have heard about even having something wrong OTHER than with the 3 teeth I know need done. Grrr.

In the end, it isn't the dentists fault. I mean, when you think about it, they SHOULD charge a lot, otherwise if you didn't know you would make a lot of money, why would you go to school for that long and pay all that money for schooling?? The problem is with the government not subsidizing it. Yes, I am for full government intervention on our lives :D :D :D But I don't know. Something needs to be done because dental care should be no different from medical care. It is the SAME thing!!! The teeth are in your body!!

I've had super service from the dentistry school. Especially good for the basic cleaning, real cheap. Call me crazy but for $35, it's better than a pedicure :P

Anyway, if you live near some university, it may be worth it to look into it...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
In the end, it isn't the dentists fault. I mean, when you think about it, they SHOULD charge a lot, otherwise if you didn't know you would make a lot of money, why would you go to school for that long and pay all that money for schooling?? The problem is with the government not subsidizing it. Yes, I am for full government intervention on our lives :D :D :D But I don't know. Something needs to be done because dental care should be no different from medical care. It is the SAME thing!!! The teeth are in your body!!

I disagree... completely.. If a car mechanic gave me a quote with 100 things to be done to my car and only ONE was really necessary.. everyone would be outraged.. because dentists are in health care they get a bye? Nope.. doesn't fly with me... They do what they do because they CAN milk insurance for all it's worth, and they'll do cleanings as many times a year as the insurance allows, not because it's necessary, just because they can bill.. I think it's shameful. I don't CARE how long they've spent in school.. it should be about people's heath and well being and ultimately about what they can afford and making a diagnosis and plan based on that, not because of some desire to make the big bucks..

Geesh... I want a dentist like Bob from Bob & Margaret.. a small inefficient dental practice is more than enough for me.. let someone else pay for the posh money making profiteers.. :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Timeline

I disagree... completely.. If a car mechanic gave me a quote with 100 things to be done to my car and only ONE was really necessary.. everyone would be outraged.. because dentists are in health care they get a bye? Nope.. doesn't fly with me... They do what they do because they CAN milk insurance for all it's worth, and they'll do cleanings as many times a year as the insurance allows, not because it's necessary, just because they can bill.. I think it's shameful. I don't CARE how long they've spent in school.. it should be about people's heath and well being and ultimately about what they can afford and making a diagnosis and plan based on that, not because of some desire to make the big bucks..

Geesh... I want a dentist like Bob from Bob & Margaret.. a small inefficient dental practice is more than enough for me.. let someone else pay for the posh money making profiteers.. :)

Ohhh yah in the regards I totally agree with you. I guess some dentists are better than others. What I meant to say was that we can't/shouldn't expect them to make the same salaries as people working at say, Target. Since they DID go to school for that period of time etc. WITH THAT BEING SAID THOUGH........

You are correct though, NO MATTER HOW many yrs you went to school it gives you NO right to tell me I need work done when i DONT. I 100% agree with you there. I don't know where the source of the problem lies. I know they feel they can charge a lot because OH, insurance pays for it. Well, that's not the case for everyone. But, there is a problem with dental care in this country. SA lot of people are even flying to THAILAND and getting the same quality of work done there for a FRACTION of the cost. Including the airfare!! Hmm.....I could use a holiday :P

September 11th, 2004 - Met in Asia

May 2007 - Engaged in Hawaii!!

June 2008 - I-129F Petition

June (I think) 2008 - NOA1

October 2008 - NOA2 (P3 sent to wrong consulate by accident)

December 2008 - NON-legal wedding ceremony in Honduras

January 19th, 2009 - P3 finally arrives to correct consulate AND me!!

January 19th, 2009 - "Overnighted" P3 back same day. I am so efficient!!

January 23rd, 2009 - Montreal finally gets it. "Overnight" my a**!! Money refunded to me from Canada Post...ASAH!

March 27th, 2009 - Notified by phone call of interview date

March 31, 2009 - Interview Letter received in mail (P4)

April 6th, 2009 - Medical

April 17th, 2009 - Interview!!!

April 27th 2009 MOVED POE - Buffalo Peace Bridge

May 1st 2009 - Married!!

May 18th - SSN arrived in mail

AoS:

May 14th, 2009 - Filed for AoS - Come on NOOOO RFE'S!!!

May 22nd, 2009 - NOA1 for AoS, AP, EAD - California Service Center. ASAH

May 30th, 2009 - Biometrics appointment letter received for I485, I765 (where is the I131????)....date June 12th. 2009

June 2nd, 2009 - Biometrics completed

June 15th, 2009 - EAD Card production ordered!!

June 20th, 2009 - AP, EAD arrives in mail! (no email from CRIS)

July 2nd, 2009 - AOS Transferred to California

August 7th, 2009 - Green Card production ordered. WoohoO!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

i believe my crown was around $700 and i had a root canal done maybe 10 years ago and it was only around $700. i realize that was a long time ago but i dont think it inflated that much. $6500 is way too much. i just had tissue graph surgery and it was only $900/ tooth. something just isnt right there.

Filed: Timeline

Well the $6500 included, 2 or 3 root canals, a crown on one of my root canals and NINE fillings (I do not need 9).

I told them to give me a number on the 3 teeth (including the one I need a crown for) and that is now what I am considering. Insurance will pay $1200 or so, and I pay $3,000. *sigh*

September 11th, 2004 - Met in Asia

May 2007 - Engaged in Hawaii!!

June 2008 - I-129F Petition

June (I think) 2008 - NOA1

October 2008 - NOA2 (P3 sent to wrong consulate by accident)

December 2008 - NON-legal wedding ceremony in Honduras

January 19th, 2009 - P3 finally arrives to correct consulate AND me!!

January 19th, 2009 - "Overnighted" P3 back same day. I am so efficient!!

January 23rd, 2009 - Montreal finally gets it. "Overnight" my a**!! Money refunded to me from Canada Post...ASAH!

March 27th, 2009 - Notified by phone call of interview date

March 31, 2009 - Interview Letter received in mail (P4)

April 6th, 2009 - Medical

April 17th, 2009 - Interview!!!

April 27th 2009 MOVED POE - Buffalo Peace Bridge

May 1st 2009 - Married!!

May 18th - SSN arrived in mail

AoS:

May 14th, 2009 - Filed for AoS - Come on NOOOO RFE'S!!!

May 22nd, 2009 - NOA1 for AoS, AP, EAD - California Service Center. ASAH

May 30th, 2009 - Biometrics appointment letter received for I485, I765 (where is the I131????)....date June 12th. 2009

June 2nd, 2009 - Biometrics completed

June 15th, 2009 - EAD Card production ordered!!

June 20th, 2009 - AP, EAD arrives in mail! (no email from CRIS)

July 2nd, 2009 - AOS Transferred to California

August 7th, 2009 - Green Card production ordered. WoohoO!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
post-34127-1241628016_thumb.jpg

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.