Leyla

The MENA "Let's discuss religion and our own personal belief" thread

163 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I think it has a lot to do with tradition. I actually love the Catholics ( they believe in miracles and Christ crucified), although myself, I could never wrap my head around the idea of praying to Saints or the Blessed Mother. There is no Biblical foundation for that and it certainly is not mentioned anywhere in the Scriptures.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline
peace.jpg

Everyone should respect everyone's beliefs, even if to you personally it might not be your beliefs. I know that I try to respect everyone's beliefs, my family believes, I don't, but I would never try to attack them, all that does is alienate people. I respect that people have different beliefs from my own, and try never to pass judgment on their choice. That is my personal belief, I envy people who have a strong spiritual base, it is something that hasn’t work out for me personally. Bridget if someone is stalking you, whether it is on the internet or not, that is serious and that person is not healthy mentally. Just stay safe and yes I agree if someone is stalking you online than they should be banned from forums where they are out right attacking you.
Peace

A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

Eleanor Roosevelt

thquitsmoking3.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
peace.jpg

Everyone should respect everyone's beliefs, even if to you personally it might not be your beliefs. I know that I try to respect everyone's beliefs, my family believes, I don't, but I would never try to attack them, all that does is alienate people. I respect that people have different beliefs from my own, and try never to pass judgment on their choice. That is my personal belief, I envy people who have a strong spiritual base, it is something that hasn’t work out for me personally. Bridget if someone is stalking you, whether it is on the internet or not, that is serious and that person is not healthy mentally. Just stay safe and yes I agree if someone is stalking you online than they should be banned from forums where they are out right attacking you.

Peace

If you meant that I was attacking Catholic beliefs, I really wasn't. I was a devout Catholic for over 40 years and have seen the good, bad and the ugly. I was just commenting on the political side. All religions have a political side and I hate politics.

I agree this person isn't healthy mentally, especially if they remember minute details about my children's lives that were posted over 3 years ago. That just freaks me right the heck out. :unsure::blink:

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
peace.jpg

Peace

If you meant that I was attacking Catholic beliefs, I really wasn't. I was a devout Catholic for over 40 years and have seen the good, bad and the ugly. I was just commenting on the political side. All religions have a political side and I hate politics.

I agree this person isn't healthy mentally, especially if they remember minute details about my children's lives that were posted over 3 years ago. That just freaks me right the heck out. :unsure::blink:

uff im gone a few days from this thread and missed what was going on, but if someone is stalking u, then it would benefit everyone but most of all u if they are banned from the forums...im sorry this has happened to you (F)

sara

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

Bridget I personally have never seen you disrespectful in any way to any one here on VisaJourney. Just worried about this stalking thing, gives me the creeps. No one should have to put up with a stalker, EVER. :blink:

A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

Eleanor Roosevelt

thquitsmoking3.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

I was raised Catholic and I no longer am. I agree with what has been said above about praying to saints, etc, and the confession thing was just not right to me. Hey, it works for many people and that's great for them. Like I've said, different religions appeal to different people as to what fits their personality or lifestyle. However, I did love the mass and most catholic churches are so beautiful. The atmosphere is very spiritual.

As for the priests, etc, you will find corruption in any religion somewhere. Because, after all, we are just human and not perfect. Unfortunately, these kinds of things turn many people away from religion.

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Timeline

Regarding praying to saints and to Mary, it's really not like that. For me it was the same as asking a good friend to intercede on your behalf. You're actually not praying to these people but rather asking them to put in a good word for you. After all, we're talking about eternity that is at stake. In comparison anyone would want someone to put in a good word to get a good job, or to be elected to a nice position, etc. This is similar but much larger obviously. I used to pray the rosary everyday and it gave me much peace. Now I do dikr (sp?) and the relief is very similar.

Timeline
Regarding praying to saints and to Mary, it's really not like that. For me it was the same as asking a good friend to intercede on your behalf. You're actually not praying to these people but rather asking them to put in a good word for you. After all, we're talking about eternity that is at stake. In comparison anyone would want someone to put in a good word to get a good job, or to be elected to a nice position, etc. This is similar but much larger obviously. I used to pray the rosary everyday and it gave me much peace. Now I do dikr (sp?) and the relief is very similar.

The rosary is like meditation. :-)

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Timeline

I was at my friend's funeral last week and it was in a Catholic church. It was the second time I have been at a Catholic church since I converted...the first was my uncle's funeral. (i guess at my age that's what brings you there. lol)

Anyhoo although I'm very content with my spiritual life at the moment I must say I miss the following about being Catholic:

the smell of the incense

kneeling

the deep trance I'd get in when I'd do adoration for a couple of hours

the period after receiving communion when I would think that I was as close to God as I could get

What I don't miss:

going to confession

the guilt

internal turmoil about the whole priest scandal

I guess every religion has it's ups and downs. Today, the strength that doing salat gives me coupled with the closeness to God that it brings me is making me very content no matter what turmoil my life might be in.

Timeline

[

This is what is crazy! It's like this person writes every detail down about you to bring it up. Do you think it is somebody that you know in your personal life? Anyways, take care and I hope that this person stays away from you.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I was at my friend's funeral last week and it was in a Catholic church. It was the second time I have been at a Catholic church since I converted...the first was my uncle's funeral. (i guess at my age that's what brings you there. lol)

Anyhoo although I'm very content with my spiritual life at the moment I must say I miss the following about being Catholic:

the smell of the incense

kneeling

the deep trance I'd get in when I'd do adoration for a couple of hours

the period after receiving communion when I would think that I was as close to God as I could get

What I don't miss:

going to confession

the guilt

internal turmoil about the whole priest scandal

I guess every religion has it's ups and downs. Today, the strength that doing salat gives me coupled with the closeness to God that it brings me is making me very content no matter what turmoil my life might be in.

I think the same things sometimes. But I've decided that It's not that Catholicism had anything special to offer to me. It's just outwardly beautiful. It's appealing. Since I began the study of religion I have noticed many beautiful things about each one.

Catholicism: The ceremony, the adherence to old traditions despite a modern world, the incense, the singing, the decoration

Hinduism: The adoration and respect for deities, the colors and life celebrated within the religion, the compassion for life in general

Buddhism: Meditation, the unyielding search for the essence, place or being that is greater than our selves, the search for the self

Judaism: The omipresent sense of community, the tradition, the devotion and obedience

Islam: The obedience and devotion seen in everyday acts, the language, praying

Christianity: The happiness, the adoration of Jesus, the sense of community

etc..... There is so much to see and admire. Religion is beautiful in so many ways. I've never been so attracted and so repulsed by a thing (religion) in my life. It's a crazy thing :)

12531741_bodyshot_300x400.gif6783001_bodyshot_300x400.gif

th_Photo234.jpgth_n12419841_46691023_7582.jpgth_n12419841_46531579_2583.jpgth_n12419841_45773452_4168.jpg

th_l_c84498a71b1eeba4d00cd9963dd0a85a.gif

kb7wan37jt.png

Timeline

I know exactly how you feel Leyla! :-)

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
About this different or same God part of the conversation.... my sister brought that up, too. Here's how I look at it. Not to put myself in God's place AT ALL, but just for simplicity's sake of explanation - if someone wanted to ask who I am, they would get different answers from different people. My children would say I'm mommy, and probably mention something about how old I am, or whatever. My husband would say I'm his wife, and talk about something completely different. My ex would say... well, you get the idea. My parents would call me daughter and I'd be young to them. Now, all the people who were asked would see something different, they'd all have different 'names' for me, and they probably wouldn't agree exactly on who/what/how I am. Some might say I'm a simple, boring person, and others might say I'm lots of fun and have an interesting personality.

Either way, just because some think He's 'one' and some believe He's a 'trinity' doesn't mean it's not the same God. I don't change depending on other's perception of me. I'm not sure if I'm explaining this very well, but I hope you all understand what I'm trying to say.

venusfire

I rarely join any religious threads but...I really like your analogy.

This is often how I have thought about the different perceptions of God in different religious faiths, but you put it perfectly above.

In NO way shape or form do I think that christians,jews and muslims all worship different gods.

Like someone else said...I learned that Jesus is the way to God and is a part of God but never learned nor thought of "Jesus is God, period end of story"

To say that Jews and Muslims dont pray to or worship the same God as I is just an odd thought to me.

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.