john & jean

noobs

3,381 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
That Laura that lives in Puerto Rico is a huge noob! She hit enter by mistake in the change display name feature and is now stuck with her log in name (which is a log in I've used since I was a teen for chatrooms and e-mail and msn and always ends up being the first thing that comes to mind when asked for a log in name).

I hope the Admin Gods can save me from using this for a year!

I like your new name, it's a badass name!

How is Puerto Rico? Again, I'm craving Puerto Rican food.... it's about time for some pinchos de pollo :)

I can't wait to go back and visit.

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

It's been hot and rainy as usual. :P You know, I'm actually not a fan of puertorican food. :blush:

Pinchos are nice, but I mean the whole pasteles (the mushed plantains ones), arroz con gandules, mofongo, etc. Not my thing. I do like tostones though, and the awesome lechon they make here.

Oh, and yes, I actually really like this username, no wonder I've had it forever in all my forums, but it didn't seem appropriate for VJ which is why it was my log in name but not my username.

It comes from LadyDeathstrike, from the Wolverine comics, in Brasil she was called Ladylethal. I've been using it since I was 13.

Edited by Ladylethal

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
Pinchos are nice, but I mean the whole pasteles (the mushed plantains ones), arroz con gandules, mofongo, etc. Not my thing. I do like tostones though, and the awesome lechon they make here.

I love Puerto Rican food. I don't like pig's feet though - I never could eat that.

Here we eat a lot of arroz con gandules, a lot of Peruvian food and I cook a lot of pasta too. My mother is Italian so I have this thing for pasta that Luis just can't understand. I can't eat rice every single day.

Friday I made eggplant parmigiana ... surprisingly it was a hit. I was afraid to make it at first because he's picky with food but he pigged out and ate all of the garlic bread too.

Today will be arroz con pollo - Peruvian style.

I've never had Brazilian food... I really want to try it someday. What dishes should I try?

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

0h boy! :wacko:

Ladye, I like the new name too. :thumbs:

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Timeline

I love Puerto Rican food. I don't like pig's feet though - I never could eat that.

Here we eat a lot of arroz con gandules, a lot of Peruvian food and I cook a lot of pasta too. My mother is Italian so I have this thing for pasta that Luis just can't understand. I can't eat rice every single day.

Friday I made eggplant parmigiana ... surprisingly it was a hit. I was afraid to make it at first because he's picky with food but he pigged out and ate all of the garlic bread too.

I've never had Brazilian food... I really want to try it someday. What dishes should I try?

My arroz con pollo is different than what they do here. So I like it, but if it's Brazilian style. Over there we call it Galinhada.

Berenjena Parmeggiana is delicious, my ex-MIL used me make one to die for.

Brazilians dishes that are a must to try would be Moqueca (a type of fish stew), Feijoada (black bean soup with pig parts and sausage, it does have pigs feet usually but you don't have to add it or eat it), Bobó de Camarão (a thick yucca soup with shrimp), Arroz de Carreteiro (rice cooked with jerk beef and other goodies), Feijão Tropeiro (cassava flour with beans, collard greends, eggs, onions and bacon), etc. Many more but I know for sure these are very brazilian.

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I feel like having a conversation with Jehovah witnesses when I read that filipino thread

many years ago the witnesses started coming to my house. asked repeatedly for them to stop. one day when they arrived I flung the door open, naked as a jay bird. insisted they come in, needless to say they were in a hurry to leave. never came back :devil:

:rofl::thumbs:

My arroz con pollo is different than what they do here. So I like it, but if it's Brazilian style. Over there we call it Galinhada.

Berenjena Parmeggiana is delicious, my ex-MIL used me make one to die for.

Brazilians dishes that are a must to try would be Moqueca (a type of fish stew), Feijoada (black bean soup with pig parts and sausage, it does have pigs feet usually but you don't have to add it or eat it), Bobó de Camarão (a thick yucca soup with shrimp), Arroz de Carreteiro (rice cooked with jerk beef and other goodies), Feijão Tropeiro (cassava flour with beans, collard greends, eggs, onions and bacon), etc. Many more but I know for sure these are very brazilian.

When I think Brazilian food, other than the "national dish" of feijoada which Laura already described, I tend to think of the meat.

Brazil is a really good place to be a carnivore.

My preferred cuts are picanha and mamilla (did I spell this right?).

Picanha com alho (with garlic), roasted over open flame, served to the table and sliced onto your plate then returned to the fire repeatedly so it's always served warm and fresh. Side trimmings of arroz, feijon (rice and beans), farofa and vinegraitte (a manioc flour, and a vinegar based tomatio/onion salsa). Yum. Toss it down with cold Antarctica or Brahma beer.

Another popular cut in the Nordeste (the Northeastern area stretching from Bahia , Paraiba, Pernambcuo, Rio Grande du Norte) is carne de sol (salted beef). I find it tends to be tougher and much saltier (duh!) than picanha, but it's interesting for a change of pace.

It's also quite common to have churrasco rodizio restaurants which serve an endless supply of meat dishes on skewers to your table. This will include picanha, but also sausages, chicken, pork, and various and sundry. I can enjoy that too, but (a) I find I overeat with this "all you can eat" approach (B) Since my favorite is picanha, I prefer to go to a restaurant that specializes in that.

Well, in just over a month I will be in Recife, so I'll be having my fill of these goodies.

Timeline

Scandal I now puffy heart you in a serious way! :D

You made my mouth water thinking of picanha with farofa and vinagrete! Of course the meats are our highest marks but you can't exactly copy that in the US, can you? It's just not the same, even if you know how to order the picanha cut from the butcher.

Hmmmm, very very cold Boehmia beer would be great now.

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Timeline
Scandal I now puffy heart you in a serious way! :D

You made my mouth water thinking of picanha with farofa and vinagrete! Of course the meats are our highest marks but you can't exactly copy that in the US, can you? It's just not the same, even if you know how to order the picanha cut from the butcher.

Hmmmm, very very cold Boehmia beer would be great now.

Bohemia. FTW! :thumbs:

Edited by Mister_Bill

Timeline

prod_bohemia_pilsen.jpg

Woot! :dance:

And yes, writing fast a b!tch for typos. :P

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

Timeline

Yummmmmm, I love Cabo Frio, but I usually stay in Arraial do Cabo for more peace and then at night I drive to the canal in Cabo Frio for the fun.

But yes, cold beer with camarão abafado no azeite and bolinho de aipim! :wub:

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
Yummmmmm, I love Cabo Frio, but I usually stay in Arraial do Cabo for more peace and then at night I drive to the canal in Cabo Frio for the fun.

my SIL lives across the canal (about 5km from the bridge) off of caminho de buzios. there is a nice beach not far from her home (about 10 minute walk) that is really kinda quiet. can't wait to get back there.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Oh yeah! Those little soups, right? When you're sitting on the beach, and they come by with the thermos jugs of these hot soups, feijon, camarão, with an olive or egg tossed in? What do they call those? I love those :yes:

Oh, and another question... perhaps someone knows. Why does Antarctica beer have penguins, but Antarctica guarana does not? Never understood the different branding on these products.

prod_antarctica_pilsen.jpg

1195562304_f.jpg

Timeline

Yeah, I have a cousin that lived one block from Praia Grande in Arraial, so that was my spot. My SIL has an apartment in downtown Cabo Frio, near Praia do Forte, for weekends or vacations.

Scandal, I dunno about those soups, I've never been to Recife, I used to vacation in Maceió, Alagoas, but still the only soups I know of are the caldo de piranha, but those must be caldos like that, I never bought them from thermos vendors though, only from kiosks.

And both the guaraná and the beer as well as Brahma and others now are all part of Ambev, but each product is still unique looking, the guaraná follows what a guaraná seed looks like and it's called that way 'cus it came after the beer, which was probably antarctica with penguins 'cus it's meant to be appreciated ice cold.

Edited by Ladylethal

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY