Ling Ling

The and Canada

42 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
and me, from california, calls any interstate in the US a freeway, and the ones that are called actual highways, are just highways.

You would call a US Interstate toll-road a 'freeway'?

For example, the "Main Street of the Midwest" extends from the NY Thruway through Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana and a bit of Illinois on I-80/I-90. Around these parts it's called a tollway, certainly not a freeway. A freeway is free. A tollway- you pay tolls.

I lived in CA for about 5 years in the Bay area. To the best of my knowledge there are no toll roads. Certainly lots of toll bridges - Dumbarton, San Mateo, Bay Bridge, Golden Gate, San Rafael. You're right that I-80 over the Bay Bridge is a 'freeway', not a 'tollway' even though the bridge has tolls.

I think it's a west coast/ east coast/ midwest thing. There's no national standard on this stuff.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Yes, "the" is necessary for the sentence to make sense grammatically. "I'm going to hospital"? Really? People talk like that? I have some English friends and they are quite eloquent...

eYep, they invented the language, and that's the way they talk. I lived in London for a few years (loved it) and always felt like I should keep a pocket full of "THEs" to give to my friends. Maybe not grammatically correct in North America...again, they created the language. But seriously, it sounds as if there's only one hospital, or university in the UK.

That's analogous to saying that all Americans speak in Ebonics. You obviously had very limited exposure to a diverse array of British citizens.

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
and me, from california, calls any interstate in the US a freeway, and the ones that are called actual highways, are just highways.

For example, the "Main Street of the Midwest" extends from the NY Thruway through Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana and a bit of Illinois on I-80/I-90. Around these parts it's called a tollway, certainly not a freeway. A freeway is free. A tollway- you pay tolls.

I lived in CA for about 5 years in the Bay area. To the best of my knowledge there are no toll roads. Certainly lots of toll bridges - Dumbarton, San Mateo, Bay Bridge, Golden Gate, San Rafael. You're right that I-80 over the Bay Bridge is a 'freeway', not a 'tollway' even though the bridge has tolls.

I think it's a west coast/ east coast/ midwest thing. There's no national standard on this stuff.

i would call those toll roads and avoid them anyways lol.

Timeline

i would call those toll roads and avoid them anyways lol.

:lol: me too!

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline
Yes, "the" is necessary for the sentence to make sense grammatically. "I'm going to hospital"? Really? People talk like that? I have some English friends and they are quite eloquent...

eYep, they invented the language, and that's the way they talk. I lived in London for a few years (loved it) and always felt like I should keep a pocket full of "THEs" to give to my friends. Maybe not grammatically correct in North America...again, they created the language. But seriously, it sounds as if there's only one hospital, or university in the UK.

That's analogous to saying that all Americans speak in Ebonics. You obviously had very limited exposure to a diverse array of British citizens.

Where the hell did I say ALL English people speak like that, or that it was something bad (such as your racial overtone in Americans speaking Ebonics)?

Regardless of how diverse the array of British citizens I was exposed to, it is a patent fact that SOME British citizens drop "the" referring to a hospital, university, and some other places.

This has been a very civil thread, I don't understand why you're injecting such hostility. You obviously have a need for reading comprehension skills improvement, as well as for proper etiquette in a civilized forum.

LingChe NVC Guide

Using this guide may allow you to fly through NVC in as little as 11 days.

visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

2006-11-01: Met online through common interest in music - NOT Dating Service

2007-01-28: Met in person in Paris

2007-10-02: Married in Tokyo

2008-07-05: I-130 Sent

2008-08-13: NOA2 I-130

2008-10-02: Case Complete at NVC

2008-11-04: Interview - CR-1 Visa APPROVED

2008-12-11: POE - Chicago

2009-01-12: GC and Welcome Letter

2010-09-01: Preparing I-751 Removal of Conditions

2011-03-22: Card Production Ordered

2011-03-30 10 Year Card Received DONE FOR 10 YEARS

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

And it appears to have made very little difference.

.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
You want funny talk? In Canada?

Try the upper Ottawa Valley. Arnprior, Pembroke area. THEY talk funny.

'dem 'dere lads in Da Frew (Renfrew) :lol:

I lived in Canada for five years and I know people from Renfrew. None of them talk like that.

I find a lot of my friends from Northern England do not use articles at all or don't use them properly. But in their semantic setting, to them, they are obviously using it properly.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Other Timeline
Charlotte, right? It ain't that bad out there.. is it?

Nope, ahm in the footheels. Charlotte's the Big City, you'uns never go to the Big City.

;)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline
You want funny talk? In Canada?

Try the upper Ottawa Valley. Arnprior, Pembroke area. THEY talk funny.

'dem 'dere lads in Da Frew (Renfrew) :lol:

I lived in Canada for five years and I know people from Renfrew. None of them talk like that.

I find a lot of my friends from Northern England do not use articles at all or don't use them properly. But in their semantic setting, to them, they are obviously using it properly.

I believe that your Renfrew friends don't talk like that. Not everyone in the Valley talks like that. But many, especially those in traditional occupations (farming etc.) do. No contradiction there. Some people talk that way. Not everyone does. Your friends don't. Just like not everyone from New Jersey talks joysie.

If you don't want to take my word that Ottawa Valley is a legitimate dialect, distinct from Newfie and Eastern Townships and other such regional dialects, here's wikipedia on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_Valley_Twang

I grew up in Ottawa, good friends of mine went to summer camp at Camp Bnai Brith in Quyon Quebec. They would come back to town at the end of August with a hint of Valley talk in their dialect (aside: years later, I was confused as to why Frank Zappa wrote a song about Renfrew and Packenham, not realizing initially that HIS 'valley talk' was referring to the San Fernando Valley). I was never a Bnai Brith'er - I went to Camp Gesher in Cloyne Ontario, north of Kaladar. Cloyne people talk funny too but that's cos they're all scared of the ghost that haunts Myers' Cave to this day (at least that's what we were told over the campfires).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Where the hell did I say ALL English people speak like that, or that it was something bad (such as your racial overtone in Americans speaking Ebonics)?

Regardless of how diverse the array of British citizens I was exposed to, it is a patent fact that SOME British citizens drop "the" referring to a hospital, university, and some other places.

This has been a very civil thread, I don't understand why you're injecting such hostility. You obviously have a need for reading comprehension skills improvement, as well as for proper etiquette in a civilized forum.

Speaking of civilized, it would be much appreciated if you could refrain from swearing.

[font="Arial Black"][b]Our Visa Journey[/b][/font]
[color="#4B0082"]Met June 6, 2008 & Fell in love :)
He Propsed! September 15, 2008
Mailed I-129F: October 17th, 2008
[b]NOA1: October 28, 2008[/b]
[b]NOA2: March 13th, 2009 * Friday the 13th!*[/b]
NVC Received: April 2, 2009
NVC Shipped to Montreal Consulate: April 3, 2009
Montreal Consulate Received: April 6, 2009
Packet 3 Sent: April 9th, 2009
4/21: Contacted DoS RE lost packet 3 - operator told us to go ahead and send in all our documents
Packet 3 Received in Montreal: 4/22
Packet 3 logged in MTL: 4/24
Packet 4: June 3, 2009
[b]Interview Date: July 8, 2009!! APPROVED![/b]
POE & Date: July 15, 2009
Courthouse wedding: July 17, 2009

Ceremonial Wedding: First weekend June 2010 [/color]

I WISH I COULD FIX MY TIMELINE TOO! :)

[b]Getting it all together for the AOS :) [/b]

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Maybe we should start a new thread if anyone wants to chat about this? - keeping this thread going might encourage him to come back for a visit.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It always rubs me the wrong way when my fiance says something like, "John is going to University." I want to tell him that he is supposed to say, "John is going to the Univeristy of [insert name here]," or "John is in college."

Edited by Arabella

02.09.2007- Met online (EverQuest 2)

07.11.2008- Met in person (Orlando)

02.14.2009- Got engaged (Toronto)

K-1

03.13.2009- NOA 1

08.24.2009- NOA 2

11.20.2009- Montreal Interview Approved!!

02.01.2010- POE @ Lewiston Bridge

02.25.2010- Applied for SS#

04.29.2010- Beach Wedding!!

AOS

05.27.2010- NOA 1 for I-131, I-485 & I-765

06.18.2010- I-485 transferred to CSC

06.21.2010- Biometrics

07.22.2010- EAD & AP approved

10.28.2010- RFE for I-485- They lost our medical!

12.09.2010- Green Card in hand!

ROC

09.14.2012- Mailed I-751 to VSC

10.26.2012- Biometrics

04.11.2013- 10 Year Green Card approved! No interview :)

8zs8cuv3suq7.png

I will totally vouch for the Ottawa Valley accent. Most of my family on my Mom's side have it. I hear it most when they say words like "car" or "bar". I can't type out the pronunciation because I honestly don't know how, but you know it when you hear it. Also, they say "bu-day-duh" instead of "potato". I find it to be charming.

02/13/09 -

:)

02/19/09 - I-130 mailed out

02/27/09 - NOA1

03/19/09 - NOA2

05/07/09 - NVC CASE COMPLETE!

06/23/09 - Received interview appointment letter via email! Yay!

08/19/09 -Interview! SUCCESS!! (Wanna read a ridiculously long interview review? Click the link!)

08/21/09 - Visa received!

09/11/09 - POE (Alexandria Bay, NY)

09/28/09 - Received Permanent Resident card

06/28/11 - Sent 1-751 to VSC

07/29/11 - Biometrics appointment (OKC)

01/20/12 - I-751 approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.