stace

please i need some advice im in uk and bf is in usa we want to be together please!!!

53 posts in this topic

Stace,

I would suggest you meet him first and get to know each other before committing yourselves to starting your visa journey. Things are usually very different when you meet one another, he might have some bad habits (like picking his nose in public or bad breath!).

Bare in mind that the visa process costs around £1,000, and that's just up to the point where you are married.

You are young and I presume your boyfriend is around the same age. If I were you, I would spend the money you would be using for the visa on a few more trips back n forth first, just so you are 100% sure that you want to spend the rest of your lives together. I'm sure your parents would want to meet him to.

The visa journey is very stressful and it takes a rock solid relationship to make it through. There's a lot of red tape and you have to work hard on proving that your relationship is for life.

Go there in November, have a great time, enjoy each other and then when you return see how you both feel.... and for gawd's sake don't get pregnant! (and it won't help your case).

Good luck,

Helen

10 year Green Card received, Next step is citizenship urgh!

When you meet the one you want to spend the rest of your life with,

you can't wait for the rest of your life to begin

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Stace,

I would suggest you meet him first and get to know each other before committing yourselves to starting your visa journey. Things are usually very different when you meet one another, he might have some bad habits (like picking his nose in public or bad breath!).

Bare in mind that the visa process costs around £1,000, and that's just up to the point where you are married.

You are young and I presume your boyfriend is around the same age. If I were you, I would spend the money you would be using for the visa on a few more trips back n forth first, just so you are 100% sure that you want to spend the rest of your lives together. I'm sure your parents would want to meet him to.

The visa journey is very stressful and it takes a rock solid relationship to make it through. There's a lot of red tape and you have to work hard on proving that your relationship is for life.

Go there in November, have a great time, enjoy each other and then when you return see how you both feel.... and for gawd's sake don't get pregnant! (and it won't help your case).

Good luck,

Helen

Good advice Helen,

[The reason god put spaces in between your fingers was so another person's hands could fill it up.

CHERISH YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY AND DREAM TOMORROW

Life is like a song... Sing it.

Life is like a challenge... Pursue it.

Life is like a sacrifice... Offer it.

Life is love... Enjoy it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Stace,

LOL I remember the first time I met my man as I got off the plane I was so excited to see him I knew I loved him even before I met him in person. When I did, I noticed that he had bad teeth (i like men with good straight white teeth), but after spending some time with him I grew to love his teeth lol - now he is talking about getting them all pulled out and getting dentures - I dont want him to as I dont now if I would like him with great teeth lol. Plus when I met him the first time all he did was play his computer games after work which kinda pissed me off but again i was only pissed off cuz I couldnt play the game with him lol.

Very good advice, I see so many youngsters getting pregnant thinking this will expediate their case, realise it isnt and end up in hardship!

Good luck,

Helen

PLEASE REMEMBER TO UPDATE YOUR TIMELINE AS THE STATISTICS ON THIS FORUM ARE CALCULATED VIA THE TIMELINES. PLEASE GO TO: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

WAITING FOR AN INTERVIEW DATE AT LONDON? COME JOIN US HERE: <a

London Interview list

http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map]http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map</a>

Frapper map of the world for those who applied for marriage based visa through Nebraska, It's a good way to actually see where people are, if anyone is near you, send messages to discuss, vent, or share even meet up!!!

27 Feb. 2006: K1 petition sent to Nebraska Service Centre

2 March 2006: NOA1 dated (received in mail on 9 March 2006)

4 May 2006: NOA2!!!!! (DAY 66)

8 May 2006: File Sent to NVC (as stated on email dated 9 May)

24 May 2006: NVC sends our file to London Embassy

8 June 2006: Packet 3 arrives (DAY 101)

25 August 2006: Pack 3 sent to London Embassy registered post

29 August 2006: London Embassy receives my Pack 3 - 9/9/06 pack 4 arrives

SEPT 2006:APPLICATION PUT ON HOLD - WE HAD A FALLING OUT.

MAY 2007:RESUMED THE VISA APPLICATION

6 June 2007: Medical @ 2.30pm - need to get anew GP letter and psychiatric evaluation

7 June 2007: INTERVIEW @ 10am - waiting for new police record letter

3 July 2007: APPROVED/Visa arrives

Before Dave and I met we went through a list of things that would be awful to find out about eachother when we met in person.

The ones that always stuck in my mind was him asking..

"What would you do if I turned up at the airport with a wife n 5 kids"

erm.. RUN?

"What would you do if I turned up at the airport and was a woman"

erm... RUN?

"What would you do if I had no teeth, and a stained T shirt riding up my beer belly"

erm... RUN?

Thankfully he was none of the above, was and still is perfect!

Helen

10 year Green Card received, Next step is citizenship urgh!

When you meet the one you want to spend the rest of your life with,

you can't wait for the rest of your life to begin

Filed: Timeline

ha ha wel we did tht the other day lol, i asked him wat if i cudnt spot u at the aiport he said to me

sweetheart im 6''2 so i duno about tht lmao :-p

hes just a darling lol, in my eyes hes perfect, hes had his troubles and hes sorting them out with my and his family/friends support

stacey x

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
ha ha wel we did tht the other day lol, i asked him wat if i cudnt spot u at the aiport he said to me

hes just a darling lol, in my eyes hes perfect, hes had his troubles and hes sorting them out with my and his family/friends support

stacey x

hi & welcome to visajourney! There is no charge per character typed here, so we encourage you to use real, full words for the majority of your posts. This will ensure that all members, including those who don't have "texting" as a first language, can understand what the he!! you're saying.

:)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Timeline

stacey x

hi & welcome to visajourney! There is no charge per character typed here, so we encourage you to use real, full words for the majority of your posts. This will ensure that all members, including those who don't have "texting" as a first language, can understand what the he!! you're saying.

:)

:lol::lol:

agreed.

And why on earth would you consider marrying a man (and at age 17 no less), who you haven't even MET????? :blink:

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

When you arrive in the US...make sure you tell imigration why you are here and what your plans are. They will help you thru the next step.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

To me and dont take this the wrong way, you sound VERY young, im 29 and my fiance in 32, it took a year for us to get the K1 visa, i found it very hard and i have lots of life experiance. I know for sure at 17 i would not be mentally ready for marrage OR the K1 visa.

I see you have not met yet, this is a dangerous situation in itself, for a 17 year old girl, to be travelling to the USA alone to met a man. Could a friend come with you?

What do your parents think about this?

How old is your boyfriend?

Edited by Lizzy

K1

September 15 - 2005: NOA1

October: Waiting

November: Waiting

December: In Security checks

January 2006: Waiting

February: Waiting..Contacted Congress

March 4th: APPROVED

March 17th: NVC posted file to London

March 20th: London Receives file

March 29th: Receive package 3

April 13th: London Receives package

April 19th: Medical - June 13th: INTERVIEW......APPROVED!!!!

June 20th: ARRIVE IN USA

Time taken for whole process 9 Months

~~~~~ * ~~~~~

AOS

October: 13th: Sent off AOS Package

November 3rd: NOA1

November 14th: Snail mail ~ NOA1 ~ Case moved to the CSC for faster processing.

November 14th : CSC has petition for me and my daughter.

December 14th: Biometrics completed.

January 17th: APPROVED AOS!

January 22nd: Green card arrives in the mail:))

Time taken for AOS - 3.5 Months

Finished for 2 years.

dev015pb___.png

Hey Stace,

In the spirit of VJ welcome to the message boards. Please make yourself comfortable by setting up your timeline, your signature and grab a coffee and read the links previously posted directing you to the extremely informative guides, websites and perhaps check out some example forms so you can get a better picture of what this process is like from a couples view and the stages/legal view. :) It may look very overwelming as most people find when they research into a way to "make it happen" but if you're serious we know we will be seeing you around and VJ is always here to help you with any questions or concerns you may have about the visa process. Though we aren't lawyers, we're just like you and your boyfriend just a little older.

The first thing I'd like to say as you've just read from the others, which I totally back is you need to be 100% sure you and this guy are serious enough to want to dive into this and you need to ask yourself if you are prepared to do what it takes to be together and stick with it till you finally make it. Patience is one of the hardest things couples are forced to learn during this process. The waiting game can not only be frustrating but absolutely heartrenching at times.

Now the K-1 Fiance(e) visa is a visa aimed at engaged couples where one is a USC (that is VJ lingo for United States Citizen ie your boyfriend) and the other is a foreign citizen commonly refered to as the foreign fiance(e) or "alien." The purpose is so you may go to America with the intention of marrying and reside there with your then husband perminantly. But that's not it the K-1 is ONLY the START of this journey, you then need to Adjust Your Status to obtain a Green Card and then if you wish become a Naturalized Citizen of the US. In total it can be anything upto 5 years until you're totally free of filling in paperwork, going to interviews etc. As for the length of time you wait for K-1, it can be anything from 4-11 months, as you can see everybodys case is different and there are delays, obsticals and frustrations. You are not allowed to stay with your fiance(e) in the USA for more than 3 months at a time whilst you wait for your approval.

To touch on the age issue in your case. I don't think you should jump into this process UNTIL you and your family have met this person, in person. It is a VERY dangerous thing to do to meet somebody even if you think you know him for the first time. I'm sure even many older people here would agree with me that it is much safer to bring a friend or relative to meet him with you. In general, not just because you're young though it is a factor. Whilst you visit him in November take photographs of you both together, perhaps with friends and family in them too and maybe you'd like to take the I-129f forms (the packet that starts the process for a K-1) with you when you go meet him incase you do get engaged so you can fill them out together and he can send it off, because HE has to petition for YOU. You fill find the appropiate forms as you search around VJ and the London Embassy website. Or if you have not known this guy for particuarly long I'd recommend making a second visit before starting this process. You want to make sure you're sure, backing out then trying to re-apply will raise some red flags. I'd say wait till January for your boyfriend (then fiance) to post the application so you are in the ok zone.

We are in a slightly different situation, I am 18 this coming September and my fiance (a USC) is 21 this coming November. We had contacted the London Embassy about the age requirement and they instructed us at the time when we applied which was Sept 30th 05 that as long as my USC fiance was over 18 and I had parental concent and letters from my parents saying they approve and support our intentions we should be fine. We are waiting for the K-1 interview at the moment and I do not plan to enter the United States until October if approved so I am going with the marriage laws of 18 of the US.

Like the others have said, read, re-read and read some more. Mental preparation is another key, are you ready for marriage? Andy and I had known each other for 4 years via letter and internet before giving in to the fact we had something much more deeper than a friendship, a further year before we saw each other in the flesh and he proposed and 2 months after touching back to the UK we started to research our options and began the K-1 journey. My parents know him, I know his...everybody is fine with this and we have brillient support from other older couples on VJ despite our first impressions.

Keep your chin up and get down to some thorough reading, get that boyfriend involved too if he's really keen. And I hope to see you post in the future that you've began the journey to your future. Best of Luck

:yes:

Love hurts

When you live an ocean away

When you change your sleep schedule to catch a few more moments

When you really need to be held and you have to imagine whilst your partner describes it

When you constantly refresh the USCIS website to see if you're getting any closer

Love Loves

When it repays you with the love of your life

When God finally answered your biggest prayer

When you can live life again in the real world but still have that eternal connection

When you wake up for to the beginning of the rest of your life with the person you fought so hard for

When you love somebody that much

You'll do anything

When you arrive in the US...make sure you tell imigration why you are here and what your plans are. They will help you thru the next step.

Very funny DF :angry:

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Erm, if she did that wouldn't they they just turn her right back round to the UK? If that was sarcastic advise IMHO that was uncalled for... :protest:

Love hurts

When you really need to be held and you have to imagine whilst your partner describes it

When you constantly refresh the USCIS website to see if you're getting any closer

Love Loves

When you can live life again in the real world but still have that eternal connection

When you wake up for to the beginning of the rest of your life with the person you fought so hard for

You'll do anything

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Very funny DF :angry:

Ohh that is just cruel - as the OP is new she may take it literally. Please stace ignore this comment if you do that you will be sent back on a plane to UK and maybe have a ban. If you go to visit him in November - dont mention the word Boyfriend, fiance or anything about wanting to marry him - YOU are just going to visit friends thats all .

PLEASE REMEMBER TO UPDATE YOUR TIMELINE AS THE STATISTICS ON THIS FORUM ARE CALCULATED VIA THE TIMELINES. PLEASE GO TO: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

WAITING FOR AN INTERVIEW DATE AT LONDON? COME JOIN US HERE: <a

London Interview list

http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map]http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map</a>

Frapper map of the world for those who applied for marriage based visa through Nebraska, It's a good way to actually see where people are, if anyone is near you, send messages to discuss, vent, or share even meet up!!!

27 Feb. 2006: K1 petition sent to Nebraska Service Centre

2 March 2006: NOA1 dated (received in mail on 9 March 2006)

4 May 2006: NOA2!!!!! (DAY 66)

8 May 2006: File Sent to NVC (as stated on email dated 9 May)

24 May 2006: NVC sends our file to London Embassy

8 June 2006: Packet 3 arrives (DAY 101)

25 August 2006: Pack 3 sent to London Embassy registered post

29 August 2006: London Embassy receives my Pack 3 - 9/9/06 pack 4 arrives

SEPT 2006:APPLICATION PUT ON HOLD - WE HAD A FALLING OUT.

MAY 2007:RESUMED THE VISA APPLICATION

6 June 2007: Medical @ 2.30pm - need to get anew GP letter and psychiatric evaluation

7 June 2007: INTERVIEW @ 10am - waiting for new police record letter

3 July 2007: APPROVED/Visa arrives

Stace,

I just noticed in your profile you only met him in March. 2 months? I'm speechless and all I can say is I hope you continue to get to know him before going ahead with this.

Love hurts

Love Loves

You'll do anything

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.