KenyanGift

Which country should the official marriage take place?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
There is an advantage to us officially marrying in my fiancee's country of Kenya; however, we have applied for a K-1 which requires an official wedding in the US. Is it going to cause problems if we have two official weddings, one in Kenya and one in the US?

if u marry ur s/o before they come to the usa then ur no longer able to file k1 or to have ur s/o come on k1

sara

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Yes it is a problem. A k1 is a fiance visa. If you hve an official, legal wedding in Kenya, then you will need a spousal visa.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
There is an advantage to us officially marrying in my fiancee's country of Kenya; however, we have applied for a K-1 which requires an official wedding in the US. Is it going to cause problems if we have two official weddings, one in Kenya and one in the US?

Not if the "official" US marriage is first. If you are officially married before the visa is issued, you CANNOT apply or continue the procedure for a K-1 visa. After she arrives and you are married, she will have to wait for her AOS or AP to travel back and get "offically" married in her home country, probably 4-6 months from her arrival.

If married before visa issuance, you forfeit the $455 fee and have to re-apply for the k-3 visa

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Not if the "official" US marriage is first. If you are officially married before the visa is issued, you CANNOT apply or continue the procedure for a K-1 visa. After she arrives and you are married, she will have to wait for her AOS or AP to travel back and get "offically" married in her home country, probably 4-6 months from her arrival.

If married before visa issuance, you forfeit the $455 fee and have to re-apply for the k-3 visa

Two major problems with the above.

1. Married is married. You only get one "official" marriage. Anything after that is something else.

2. You do not have to re-apply for the K3 visa. You take a spouse visa route. K3 would be the second of two choices. CR1 is the first choice.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

1. Married is married. You only get one "official" marriage. Anything after that is something else.

2. You do not have to re-apply for the K3 visa. You take a spouse visa route. K3 would be the second of two choices. CR1 is the first choice.

Sorry, Push, I meant to imply if the US marriage was "first" it would be subsequent to a K-1 visa. If I wasn't clear on that, perhaps just a bit tongue in cheek.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for the answers...let me offer more clarity. By "official" I mean recognized by the government, whether Kenyan or US. Both weddings would be after the visa is granted. I just worry that if we have an official wedding in Kenya even after the visa is issued then Uncle Sam will raise a stink about the visa not being a K3 even though we are still officially getting married in the US...after the Kenyan wedding. Hopefully this explanation makes better sense.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Thanks for the answers...let me offer more clarity. By "official" I mean recognized by the government, whether Kenyan or US. Both weddings would be after the visa is granted. I just worry that if we have an official wedding in Kenya even after the visa is issued then Uncle Sam will raise a stink about the visa not being a K3 even though we are still officially getting married in the US...after the Kenyan wedding. Hopefully this explanation makes better sense.

even after the VISA is in your hands, if you marry in Kenya then the K-1 would be useless, there is no way around that. if you really want to get married in kenya then k-1 is not for you, you should go with K-3.

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

Timeline

Sorry, Push, I meant to imply if the US marriage was "first" it would be subsequent to a K-1 visa. If I wasn't clear on that, perhaps just a bit tongue in cheek.

I understood that. If married "officially" in the US any subsequent event is not an official marriage. You get one "marriage" but can have as man ceremonies as you wish to arrange and K3 is only the second choice of spouse visas, not the required choice.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

even after the VISA is in your hands, if you marry in Kenya then the K-1 would be useless, there is no way around that. if you really want to get married in kenya then k-1 is not for you, you should go with K-3.

No, if they wish to get married in Kenya, then a CR1 visa would be first choice for nearly all situations. K3 is virtually obsolete. "Marriage" is recognized universally. No need for a ceremony in more than one country. If that were the case, we'd need a marriage chapel between the jetway and immigration control at every international airport.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.