8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi,

I have been reading here for sometimes now, this is my first post. Thanks for reading.

I have a question about I864W, see if any one knows about it.

I am US Citizen and paying my tax for the last 23 years, I am also the petitioner for my wife and one child in China.

the way I-864W seems is for my wife to fill out? or I have been filling out too much form, so I am confused?

If you have actual experience.....please help!

Thanks....if any one can help.

David

Hi,

I have been reading here for sometimes now, this is my first post. Thanks for reading.

I am US Citizen and paying my tax for the last 23 years, I am also the petitioner for my wife and one child in China.

the way I-864W seems is for my wife to fill out? or I have been filling out too much form, so I am confused?

David

Are you trying to have your wife or child to be exempt for the affidavit of support?

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline
Hi,

David

Are you trying to have your wife or child to be exempt for the affidavit of support?

Yes, Can I do both? or I can't?

Hi,

David

Yes, Can I do both? or I can't?

What Is the Purpose of This Form?

The Form I-864 is legally required for many family-based immigrants and some employment-based immigrants to show that they have adequate means of financial support and that

they are not likely to become a public charge. Certain classes of immigrants are exempt from the I-864 requirement and therefore must file Form I-864W instead of Form I-864 or

Form I-864EZ.

Does she have adequate means of financial support? or does she fall under the other classes?

If she has her own means, then you will not need to put in a I-864, since the I-864A shows she is exempt.

Does she fit any of these scenarios?

(1) You have earned (or can be credited with) 40 quarters

of coverage under the Social Security Act (SSA).

(2) Intending immigrant is a child who will become a U.S.

citizen immediately upon entry under the Child

Citizenship Act of 2000 (CCA). (In other words, is her child yours?)

The other two classes are self-petitioning, which isn't in this case.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline

First....thank you for your wealth information.

Like I said in my first post....I am US Citizen and Pay my tax for the past 23 years....I have social security statement for more than 40 quarters.

does this mean my wife (this is my second marriage, and we register in China) qualify for I-864W? it seems to me the form is for her to file? not me?

for the child....I am the step father. which I have full custody. is he also qualify for I-864W?

My status:

I-130 approved

AOS Paid

IV Paid

DS-230 and support civil documents mailed last week.

Again...thank for your help.

Timeline

Like I said in my first post....I am US Citizen and Pay my tax for the past 23 years....I have social security statement for more than 40 quarters.

does this mean my wife (this is my second marriage, and we register in China) qualify for I-864W? it seems to me the form is for her to file? not me?

for the child....I am the step father. which I have full custody. is he also qualify for I-864W?

My status:

I-130 approved

AOS Paid

IV Paid

I think the Form I-864 is one to use. read the instructions for I-864 carefully, if your wife has had more than 40 US wrok quarters already, then you don't need I-864 for her.

Good wishes :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I-130

04/07/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

08/11/2009 - I-130 NOA2 - APPROVED

NVC

08/19/2009 - NVC Received/Case number assigned

09/22/2009 - Case Completed at NVC

09/24/2009 - Interview Scheduled

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My status:

I-130 approved

AOS Paid

IV Paid

This form, from what you have said, does not apply to your wife. Just because you have 40 quarters of work, you cannot 'apply' these to her.

The form you will want to fill out is the I-864.

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.