paulasue

anyone married by proxy

42 posts in this topic

I think the big question is did you visit him ( and do the wild thing ) after your proxy marriage. USCIS does not recognise unconsumated proxy marriages.

Of course, I flew to Paris that night for honeymoon. That was my 4th trip with him before we married. We have been together since 2006.!!!! It was not a romantic weekend of meeting each other and then got married. I know what USCIS requires, first hand!!!

Truly happy!!!

New life, new adventures, and a new attitude.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
wow!!! marriage by proxy is not allowed in the Philippines. I didn't know it was allowed somewhere else in this world. Hummm...

Its allowed in 4 states . But like us, we spent over $4000.00 for paperwork to marry in France, we turned it all in, and 3 days before it was going to expire, they called us and said they needed a utility bill from me translated into French, and I was already back in states, so we could not get it done in time, so paperwork expired, and money down the drain.

wow! i think we only spent less than USD20 for the license itself. We got tired filing all the paperworks but it wasn't that expensive.

Just got shocked that some states still allow it. here in the Philippines, they made it illegal because it is one of the fastest route for slave trade, sort of like a modern version of it. Not saying this to offend anybody here. Just sharing.. you know.

Our paperwork was more in detail, I had to get cert copies of Birth cert, my divorce decree, and send for appostiles, then have all translated into French with 3 months, and its not easy to do. Took 2 weeks to get birth cert, 4 weeks for a appostile, same for divorce decree and its appostile, plus all this paperwork from Algeria. Its okay, we are married and very happy to be.

We had al ovely honeymoon in Paris, and will see him again no matter if approved or not by September, cause Im going to see him again soon. If not sooner.

The wild thing... lol. of course didn't travel all that way for nothing.

Paula Bakhouche

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I was referring to the OP who was asking about proxy marriages and a visa. But I am glad you are being as wild as you can

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

I was referring to the OP who was asking about proxy marriages and a visa. But I am glad you are being as wild as you can

Wild???? Im anything but wild. The only thing Im wild about is my husband. Who I adore, cherish, and love with all my heart.

Truly happy!!!

Timeline

Time line is the important thing premartial intercourse would not count. You have to have had a post proxy coitus. As long as you two visited and can prove it after your marriage you should be ok

Marriage Dec 2009

Time line is the important thing premartial intercourse would not count. You have to have had a post proxy coitus. As long as you two visited and can prove it after your marriage you should be ok

If you read my post of HOW we proved to USCIS that we were together for HONEYMOON, then you will know we WERE TOGETHER AFTER THE WEDDING WITHIN 14 HOURS OF CEREMONY . So yes we consumated marriage right after our marriage on honeymoon in Paris. We showed all we could of proving we were together for honey, but we did not submit the XXX dvd of consumating the marriage.

We're savng it for just in case.

Truly happy!!!

yes I have all the pics and airpalne tickets etc.... It was too much hassle getting married there.traveled with my husbands best friend's girlfriend,they got married in Tunis and spent the whole visit getting papers translated and such.

Why didnt you just do a K1 Visa, where he comes to you and marries you in the US? :blink:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Wild???? Im anything but wild. The only thing Im wild about is my husband. Who I adore, cherish, and love with all my heart.

Not only that: It appears you like him very much! :D

wow!!! marriage by proxy is not allowed in the Philippines. I didn't know it was allowed somewhere else in this world. Hummm...

Its allowed in 4 states . But like us, we spent over $4000.00 for paperwork to marry in France, we turned it all in, and 3 days before it was going to expire, they called us and said they needed a utility bill from me translated into French, and I was already back in states, so we could not get it done in time, so paperwork expired, and money down the drain.

Again, Why go thru all this. Why not look at the K1 Visa, where he gets to come to US and marry you here, with much less stress, drama and expense you went thru. :unsure:

But it counts as practice for making a baby. And it is sometimes a fun activity that feels good. :innocent:

I think the big question is did you visit him ( and do the wild thing ) after your proxy marriage. USCIS does not recognise unconsumated proxy marriages.

lol Sylvia. How can they do the wild thing? It is marriage by proxy..at least not right after ( 6 hrs or less) the proxy marriage. I had that proxy marriages are now been done on the internet-using skype or yahoo messenger with a webcam. It is a very interesting concept

REALESTATE BROKER & MORTGAGE LOAN ORIGINATOR

STATE OF CALIFORNIA

12fa14f592.png

Timeline

There are only 4 states with poxy marriage laws. California only allows it for deployed military in an active combat zone. Colorado the law reads

Marriage by proxy is allowed in Colorado only if either the groom or bride cannot appear due to illness, is out of the state of Colorado, or incarcerated.

In these case, the bride or groom can obtain an absentee application. It must be notarized. Identification for the absent party must be provided by the other soon to be spouse when applying for the license.

In Montana

2) If a party to a marriage is unable to be present at the solemnization, the party may authorize in writing a third person to act as proxy. If the person solemnizing the marriage is satisfied that the absent party is unable to be present and has consented to the marriage, the person may solemnize the marriage by proxy. If the person solemnizing the marriage is not satisfied, the parties may petition the district court for an order permitting the marriage to be solemnized by proxy.

(3) The solemnization of the marriage is not invalidated by the fact that the person solemnizing the marriage was not legally qualified to solemnize it if either party to the marriage believed that person to be qualified.

(4) One party to a proxy marriage must be a member of the armed forces of the United States on federal active duty or a resident of Montana at the time of application for a license and certificate pursuant to 40-1-202. One party or a legal representative shall appear before the clerk of court and pay the marriage license fee. For the purposes of this subsection, residency must be determined in accordance with 1-1-215.

In Texas

.006 ABSENT APPLICANT.

(a) If an applicant is unable to appear personally before the county clerk to apply for a marriage license, any adult person or the other applicant may apply on behalf of the absent applicant.

(B) The person applying on behalf of an absent applicant shall provide to the clerk:

(1) the affidavit of the absent applicant as provided by this subchapter;

(2) proof of the identity and age of the absent applicant as provided by this subchapter; and

(3) if required because the absent applicant is a person under 18 years of age, the documents establishing parental consent, documents establishing that a prior marriage has been dissolved, or a court order authorizing the marriage of the absent, underage applicant.

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 7, § 1, eff. April 17, 1997.

2.007 AFFIDAVIT OF ABSENT APPLICANT.

The affidavit of an absent applicant must include:

(1) the absent applicant's full name, including the maiden surname of a female applicant, address, date of birth, place of birth, including city, county, and state, citizenship, and social security number, if any;

(2) a declaration that the absent applicant has not been divorced within the last 30 days;

(3) a declaration that the absent applicant is:

(A) not presently married; or

(B) married to the other applicant and they wish to marry again;

(4) a declaration that the other applicant is not related to the absent applicant as:

(A) an ancestor or descendant, by blood or adoption;

(B) a brother or sister, of the whole or half blood or by adoption;

© a parent's brother or sister, of the whole or half blood or by adoption; or

(D) a son or daughter of a brother or sister, of the whole or half blood or by adoption;

(5) a declaration that the absent applicant desires to marry and the name, age, and address of the person to whom the absent applicant desires to be married;

(6) the approximate date on which the marriage is to occur;

(7) the reason the absent applicant is unable to appear personally before the county clerk for the issuance of the license; and

(8) if the absent applicant will be unable to attend the ceremony, the appointment of any adult, other than the other applicant, to act as proxy for the purpose of participating in the ceremony.

So basically those 3 states allow you to marry without both people being there . In Montana actually neither person has to be there but one must be a resident of the state. No residency requirement for the other two. USCIS requires that the marriage be consumate AFTER the wedding . So you would have to prove that you have "been together" after the wedding ( I would hope they don't demand pictures of the actual event )

Marriage Dec 2009

There are only 4 states with poxy marriage laws. California only allows it for deployed military in an active combat zone. Colorado the law reads

Marriage by proxy is allowed in Colorado only if either the groom or bride cannot appear due to illness, is out of the state of Colorado, or incarcerated.

In these case, the bride or groom can obtain an absentee application. It must be notarized. Identification for the absent party must be provided by the other soon to be spouse when applying for the license.

In Montana

2) If a party to a marriage is unable to be present at the solemnization, the party may authorize in writing a third person to act as proxy. If the person solemnizing the marriage is satisfied that the absent party is unable to be present and has consented to the marriage, the person may solemnize the marriage by proxy. If the person solemnizing the marriage is not satisfied, the parties may petition the district court for an order permitting the marriage to be solemnized by proxy.

(3) The solemnization of the marriage is not invalidated by the fact that the person solemnizing the marriage was not legally qualified to solemnize it if either party to the marriage believed that person to be qualified.

(4) One party to a proxy marriage must be a member of the armed forces of the United States on federal active duty or a resident of Montana at the time of application for a license and certificate pursuant to 40-1-202. One party or a legal representative shall appear before the clerk of court and pay the marriage license fee. For the purposes of this subsection, residency must be determined in accordance with 1-1-215.

In Texas

.006 ABSENT APPLICANT.

(a) If an applicant is unable to appear personally before the county clerk to apply for a marriage license, any adult person or the other applicant may apply on behalf of the absent applicant.

( B) The person applying on behalf of an absent applicant shall provide to the clerk:

(1) the affidavit of the absent applicant as provided by this subchapter;

(2) proof of the identity and age of the absent applicant as provided by this subchapter; and

(3) if required because the absent applicant is a person under 18 years of age, the documents establishing parental consent, documents establishing that a prior marriage has been dissolved, or a court order authorizing the marriage of the absent, underage applicant.

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 7, § 1, eff. April 17, 1997.

2.007 AFFIDAVIT OF ABSENT APPLICANT.

The affidavit of an absent applicant must include:

(1) the absent applicant's full name, including the maiden surname of a female applicant, address, date of birth, place of birth, including city, county, and state, citizenship, and social security number, if any;

(2) a declaration that the absent applicant has not been divorced within the last 30 days;

(3) a declaration that the absent applicant is:

(A) not presently married; or

( B) married to the other applicant and they wish to marry again;

(4) a declaration that the other applicant is not related to the absent applicant as:

(A) an ancestor or descendant, by blood or adoption;

( B) a brother or sister, of the whole or half blood or by adoption;

© a parent's brother or sister, of the whole or half blood or by adoption; or

(D) a son or daughter of a brother or sister, of the whole or half blood or by adoption;

(5) a declaration that the absent applicant desires to marry and the name, age, and address of the person to whom the absent applicant desires to be married;

(6) the approximate date on which the marriage is to occur;

(7) the reason the absent applicant is unable to appear personally before the county clerk for the issuance of the license; and

(8) if the absent applicant will be unable to attend the ceremony, the appointment of any adult, other than the other applicant, to act as proxy for the purpose of participating in the ceremony.

So basically those 3 states allow you to marry without both people being there . In Montana actually neither person has to be there but one must be a resident of the state. No residency requirement for the other two. USCIS requires that the marriage be consumate AFTER the wedding . So you would have to prove that you have "been together" after the wedding ( I would hope they don't demand pictures of the actual event )

I hope not too. LOL, but we proved it with back to back debit card trasactions, we have joint checking and the receipts showed out ATM card numbers, we made transaction at same place, such at Starbucks in Paris 30 seconds apart, and shops, we showed we were at same place, same date,same time to show we were in Paris together. and the bank did a letter telling USCIS which was his card transactions, and what mine were. So I think we are covered,plus we have more eveidence.

On the absent license form, my husband signed it in front of notary at U.S. Embassy Paris.

Edited by Paris Heart

Truly happy!!!

Timeline

so where did you do your proxy mariage.

[quote name='Paris Heart' date='Apr 20 2009, 08:12 PM' post='2858114'

I hope not too. LOL, but we proved it with back to back debit card trasactions, we have joint checking and the receipts showed out ATM card numbers, we made transaction at same place, such at Starbucks in Paris 30 seconds apart, and shops, we showed we were at same place, same date,same time to show we were in Paris together. and the bank did a letter telling USCIS which was his card transactions, and what mine were. So I think we are covered,plus we have more eveidence.

On the absent license form, my husband signed it in front of notary at U.S. Embassy Paris.

[/quote/

Marriage Dec 2009

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.