Riggs

Is K3 even worth doing anymore?

33 posts in this topic

What does it hurt to apply for the K3?

I want to be reunited ASAP.

From California my I129f and the I130 were both sent to tne NVC.

Total time at USCIS 1 month

At the NVC my I129f left for the embassy in 12 days.

But the I130 is 'not received'. still!!

If the embassy gets the I130 from NVC, then switch to the CR1.

Otherwise the K3 is still happening! :star:

Hopefully my spouse interview sooner.

Yes the K3 is more expensive.

Yes the adjustment of status afterwards is a pain.

BUT I am new to this!!! :blink:

so . . I welcome "seasoned input"

B)

you have had some of the most seasoned input available on this site. so maybe you will make the proper choices. HOWEVER THE NOOBS SEEM TO BE SET ON STOOPID......

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted the K3 a dinosaur about a year ago. Yeah I did K3/K4 3 years ago but at that time CR/IRs were taking a LOT longer. After all the cost and hassel we went thru adjusting status I should have still done the CR.

To start CRs are immigrant visas and receive their GC and SS card in the mail shortly after arriving in the US.

No need to go thru the $1010 cost, stress and hassle of doing the AOS.

No need another interview or do biometrics.

Not having a SS card can prevent one doing a lot of things such as get drivers license, joint bank accounts etc.

K3s are nonimmigrant visas and have to go thru AOS. It can take a LONG time to get GC. Can be denied and deported also. Rare but the chance is still there.

If the relationship or petitioner goes belly up before the beneficiary has GC in hand they stand an excellent chance of being deported.

At this time if done properly it only takes about a month longer to do the CR-1 or IR-1.

The CR-1 recipient can almost immediately work, get drivers license, joint bank accounts, and anything else where a GC and SS card are required .

PLus can return home without waiting for AP or GC in case of emergency!

K3 visas have to wait at about 3 months for EAD so they can get a SSN.

K3 petitoner has to qualify financially at the interview and then a few months later at the AOS. Some petitioners have been getting laid off due to the economy causing more problems qualifying financially at AOS time.

CR/IR only does so at NVC and the interview.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

I posted the K3 a dinosaur about a year ago. Yeah I did K3/K4 3 years ago but at that time CR/IRs were taking a LOT longer. After all the cost and hassel we went thru adjusting status I should have still done the CR.

To start CRs are immigrant visas and receive their GC and SS card in the mail shortly after arriving in the US.

Not having a SS card can prevent one doing a lot of things such as get drivers license, joint bank accounts etc.

K3s are nonimmigrant visas and have to go thru AOS. It can take a LONG time to get GC. Can be denied and deported also. Rare but the chance is still there.

If the relationship or petitioner goes “belly up” before the beneficiary has GC in hand they stand an excellent chance of being deported.

At this time if done properly it only takes about a month longer to do the CR-1 or IR-1.

The CR-1 recipient can almost immediately work, get drivers license, joint bank accounts, and anything else where a GC and SS card are required .

K3 petitoner has to qualify financially at the interview and then a few months later at the AOS. Some petitioners have been getting laid off due to the economy causing more problems qualifying financially at AOS time.

OOPs 1 1/2 ago .

QUOTE (Delicia @ Nov 18 2007, 04:04 PM)

I see alot of people who file the I-130 and the I-129 either at the same time or file the I-129 after the I-130 check is cashed. Is this for people who are doing a Cr-1/IR-1 and a K-3 just to see which gets processed faster?

I am hoping that I didn't mess anything up...

LOTs of people are wishing they didn't do the I-129F at all and just did the I-130.

Me for one!

K3 is a dinosaur at this time.

USCIS loves people doing K3s as they make a LOT more money for a LOT more hassle for the petitoner.

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

If the relationship or petitioner goes “belly up” before the beneficiary has GC in hand they stand an excellent chance of being deported.

Without detracting from your overall post which is correct to the best of my knowledge, the one point in bold above is incorrect, I believe.

The beneficiary of a K visa can get an SSN effectively immediately after POE (the advice I generally see here on VJ is to wait approx. 2 weeks after arrival for the SS computer databases to be updated, but I've also heard of people going to SS offices directly from the airport).

The SS card does not authorize employment, but it can be used for any other purpose e.g. opening a bank account.

If I'm wrong about any of this, I welcome corrections from those with greater expertise (pushbrk, for example).

I sometimes wonder when people make an inquiry and there is a wealth of experience and good advice that reply, people still question. If you read my earlier post, I personally have had the experience of doing a K3 visa, in my case through to AOS. I have stated what it is (from personal experience) yet people still question as to whether a K3 is worth doing. My post coupled with that of others who have in no uncertain term spelled out what it is.... expensive, a LOT of hassle and ultimately not much if any quicker that the CR-1, IR-1 route.

Now if you want this K3 dinosaur to continue to have a place in this immigration process then apply for it. But ultimately you will find out to your own personal cost it was a mistake. I urge those questioning the good advice given by those well experienced to think carefully before they act.

Best wishes

Arthur and Roberta

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

If the relationship or petitioner goes "belly up" before the beneficiary has GC in hand they stand an excellent chance of being deported.

Without detracting from your overall post which is correct to the best of my knowledge, the one point in bold above is incorrect, I believe.

The beneficiary of a K visa can get an SSN effectively immediately after POE (the advice I generally see here on VJ is to wait approx. 2 weeks after arrival for the SS computer databases to be updated, but I've also heard of people going to SS offices directly from the airport).

The SS card does not authorize employment, but it can be used for any other purpose e.g. opening a bank account.

If I'm wrong about any of this, I welcome corrections from those with greater expertise (pushbrk, for example).

True for a K-1, not for a K-3. A K-3 is not work eligible upon entry. They must file for their EAD.

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The bold part above is true for K1 only, not K3. We are discussing K3. A K3 visa holder must first apply for and receive EAD before obtaining an SSN.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

"The beneficiary of a K visa can get an SSN effectively immediately after POE (the advice I generally see here on VJ is to wait approx. 2 weeks after arrival for the SS computer databases to be updated, but I've also heard of people going to SS offices directly from the airport). "

That's a K1 visa and you can go to the SSA from the airport but unless things have changed the info won't be in the SAVE system yet. You have to wait about 2 weeks.

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

"The beneficiary of a K visa can get an SSN effectively immediately after POE (the advice I generally see here on VJ is to wait approx. 2 weeks after arrival for the SS computer databases to be updated, but I've also heard of people going to SS offices directly from the airport). "

That's a K1 visa and you can go to the SSA from the airport but unless things have changed the info won't be in the SAVE system yet. You have to wait about 2 weeks.

And again this is not correct. It's correct for K1. A K3 visa holder cannot get an SSN until they file for and receive EAD.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

For me, there is still a benefit to the K3 process, in that I don't have to fill out the Affidavit of Support for the CR1. I'm a student and have to have a co-sponsor, I had a hard enough time finding a cosponsor for the K3, it would be nearly impossible for me to find a co-sponsor for the CR1... Anyway, that's my take. It may cost more in the end, but it is my family's only current option, and I'm thankful for it.

Timeline
For me, there is still a benefit to the K3 process, in that I don't have to fill out the Affidavit of Support for the CR1. I'm a student and have to have a co-sponsor, I had a hard enough time finding a cosponsor for the K3, it would be nearly impossible for me to find a co-sponsor for the CR1... Anyway, that's my take. It may cost more in the end, but it is my family's only current option, and I'm thankful for it.

Yes, that would be one of those rare cases where the K3 offers benefit. Hopefully, you'll be working and qualify as a sponsor before filing to adjust status.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Greetings PSHBRK and HAOLE,

I have posted a question earlier for HAOLE but i think i posted in the wrong forum.

Like I mentioned earlier, NVC still holding my approved I-130 petition (K3 originally), well not even a case number and still waiting.

Now, we just got a letter confirmation from NVC that my approved I-129 has been forwarded USEM, Manila. We want to pursue CR1, now my packet 3 will be send anytime soon from the Embassy, what should I do? Should I delay sending the packet 3 back to them? we are hoping wil getl a word from NVC for my I-130.

I need your inputs on this....if you can guide us to the right path.....of course $$$$ does matter to us too......

Thank you and good day.

Rose and Dan

Proposed: 08/08/08

Married: January 21, 2009

CR-1 Visa Journey:

I-130 Journey

02/09/2009:Sent

02/13/2009:NOA1 Receipt

NO RFE

03/13/2009: NOA2 Receipt "APPROVED AT USCIS in 28 days"

03/16/2009: FORWARDED TO NVC

04/21/2009: NVC CASE NUMBER ASSIGNED MNLXXXXX

04/24/2009: Received DS 3032 / I-864 by email

04/25/2009: Paid AOS/I-864 online

04/25/2009: Emailed DS 3032

04/28/2009: Received Payment Receipt for AOS/I-864

04/29/2009: Mailed barcoded DS3032/AOS/I-864

04/30/2009: NVC received I-864

05/01/2009: DS3032 accepted as per AVR

05/04/2009: Paid IV Bill

05/05/2009: IV Bill Receipt

06/09/2009: CFO Seminar

07/10/2009: Sent DS230

07/11/2009: NVC Received DS 230

07/22/2009:Case completed at NVC (thank GOD no RFE)

08/11/2009: Medical Passed (SLMEC)

09/11/2009: Interview PASSED

09/16/2009: Visa Received

09/26/2009: US Entry (POE SFO) "It was quick i was out in 20 minutes"

10/05/2009: SS# Received by Mail

10/13/2009: Green Card and Welcome Notice Received

10/20/2009: Applied for California ID

10/30/2009: Ca ID received

"In dreams and in love there are no impossibilities". Rose and Dan

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

K3 is a joke. Don't go for it.

Had we not done it we would have been already approved most probably.

Log

Wedding 01-2006

USCIS

I-130 NOA1 : 11-20-08 I-130 NOA2 : 05-14-2009

I-129F NOA1 : 12-04-08 I-129F NOA2 : 05-14-2009 Took no action since

NVC

Case number assigned at NVC : 05-18-2009

Case Completed at NVC : 08-03

Interview scheduled: 08-13

Embassy

medical : done 08-17 + pick up 09-08

Interview Date: 09-08-09

Visa received : 09-11-09 valid till 03-10-10

October 10th entered US with Visa Waiver Program for 2 weeks holidays (not usual with visa received!)

had to go through secondary inspections to explain

November 25th entered again US with WVP, officer did not notice my green card visa

left US on dec 28 to avoid meeting the substantial presence test for IRS

Jan 9 2010 entered and activated green card though PHL port of entry

waiting for SSN requested with DS230 and 10 years GC

01-30 received tracking number for GC Welcome issued on 01-27

but not yet SSN

SSN expected by Feb 20 else I might go and ask for one regardless of DS230

GC expected by March 27

Feb 3 2010 update card ordered says to allow for 30 days

Feb 8 2010 update saying approval notice sent

Feb 12 2010 received GC card Permanent resident valid till 2020

Feb 18 2010 went to file ss5 for ssn card as not yet received and center would not find me in ssn files

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
What does it hurt to apply for the K3?

I want to be reunited ASAP.

From California my I129f and the I130 were both sent to tne NVC.

Total time at USCIS 1 month

At the NVC my I129f left for the embassy in 12 days.

But the I130 is 'not received'. still!!

If the embassy gets the I130 from NVC, then switch to the CR1.

Otherwise the K3 is still happening! :star:

Hopefully my spouse interview sooner.

Yes the K3 is more expensive.

Yes the adjustment of status afterwards is a pain.

BUT I am new to this!!! :blink:

so . . I welcome "seasoned input"

B)

Come back and tell us how much time you saved and if it was worth the hassle or the extra money. You have a very fast timeline every step of the way, so far. Frankly, I'm surprised the I-129F managed to get married up with the I-130 with that fast of an I-130 approval. So far, I'd a call it a fluke but things do seem to be changing fast.

I guess I must be one of the very few exceptions, I applied for both the I-130 and the K3 and while my I-130 still is pending, I'm going in for my K3 interview in a couple weeks.

You know, I've often asked this question even before joining VJ.

My husband was getting very impatient with physically living apart especially since we've been married for a year. For him, the higher certainty to be able to be together faster (no USCIS agent would outright say that the CR/IR was just as fast in reality, just b/c something COULD happen) was what made him decide to go with the K3.

I really pushed for the CR/IR-1 for as long as I could. Not because in practice it is just as fast, but rather the idea that it would take longer (I really love Vancouver and my job), and all the benfits I would have when it finally arrives (ie. work authorization). As opposed to a possible 30-90 days wait for EAD, I would still be working with my job in Vancouver til the bitter end, and when I cross be automatically authorized to look for work.

But alas, my husband is stubborn and can be a bit selfish when he gets impatient. :rolleyes:

If your circumstances allow it (ie: you have a full-time steady job), go with the CR-1/IR-1.

I can only really see K3 being an advantage (ON PAPER) if the distance between spouses is a few plane rides away, and the international spouse's quality of life in their homeland is considerably worse. But, the K3 is apparently being phased out, which makes arguments for the K3 moot.

Aug 21/04 - Met at ethnic community bbq/field day (Seattle)

Aug 26/04 - First date (Vancouver)

Nov 24-29/04 - Met his mother & her side of family (Philadelphia)

June 15/05 - He moves to Seattle

Aug 19/07 - Our engagement & engagement party (Vancouver)

Aug 23/08 - WEDDING

Nov 23/08 - Petition for I-130 & I-129f

Feb 12/09 - both petitions approved

Feb 20/09 - K3 package received

April 27/09 - Medical exam (Vancouver)

May 28/09 - K3 Interview (Vancouver)

May 29/09 - pick up approved visa!

June 21/09 - POE @ Pac Hwy, arrived to our apt in Seattle

June 22/09 - apply for AOS & EAD

July 6/09 - AOS & EAD received by USCIS, being processed

July 13/09 - Biometrics letter received

Aug 3/09 - Biometrics appointment

Aug 19/09 - AOS interview appointment letter received

Aug 24/09 - EAD received

Aug 8/09 - SSN received

Sept 17/09 - AOS interview - PASSED!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.